Can't connect to WIFI on any device but wife can.

So my wife and I have been staying in a hotel for the past 2 days. When we both arrived we connected all of our devices to the wifi throughout the day. (Laptop, tablet and cell phone for me, laptop and cell phone for the wife.) Later on that evening i realized that my tablet said i was connected but there was no internet connection. So I restart the tablet..didn't help, so i forget network and try again...still nothing. Ok maybe my tablet is acting up, no problem I will just use my phone and laptop for now. Ok next day cell phone says no internet...ok whats going on...now both tablet and cell phone are out. retarts and forgets arent working. Whatever I deal with it a little later, I still have my laptop...Now laptop says same thing. All 3 devices all the same problem. It can't be me at this point. I look over and my wife is still playing on her phone and laptop no issue. At first I thought maybe the hotel kicks you off after so long or blocks you but that cant be because her devices have been connected just as long. Im kind of stumped now. i have done mutliple restarts and forget network reconnects on all 3 of my devices. I'm not sure where to go from here. The hotel is not a chain and doesnt seem to be tech savy enough to set up some complicated wifi system. It doesnt even generate codes for 24 hours or anything. Its just a password. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys

Device list:

My laptop: Acer E5 Windows 10

My tablet: Nexus 7 Android

My phone: Note 4 Android

Her laptop: HP T5 Windows 10

Her phone: Honor 6x Android

How large is the hotel? They might be out of IP addresses

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools - Douglas Adams

The hotel has 9 rooms, and i was wondering about that too. 

Try setting a static IP address?

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Ok, ive never actually done that before. I just attempted it but either i did it wrong or it didnt work. I'll do some research on how to set one up correctly. 

Please understand that i am talking from a point of not actually knowing if you or the hotel has a specific config but that this does happen.

The could be a host of different issues that can be on one or both sides of the network. You could have static DNS/IP configs, programs running on your PC could be seen as an issue on the hotel's security side or you may have set WIFI specifications of N/AC only and say you set WIFI channels that the hotel does not use.

Tip

1. go through you devices, one by one start with the laptop, and make sure you only have one WIFI adapter installed and that the internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) properties are set to Obtain an IP address automatically. Then switch your WIFI off then restart your PC then when the laptop is fully booted switch the WIFI on again and check for connection.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

47 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Please understand that i am talking from a point of not actually knowing if you or the hotel has a specific config but that this does happen.

The could be a host of different issues that can be on one or both sides of the network. You could have static DNS/IP configs, programs running on your PC could be seen as an issue on the hotel's security side or you may have set WIFI specifications of N/AC only and say you set WIFI channels that the hotel does not use.

Tip

1. go through you devices, one by one start with the laptop, and make sure you only have one WIFI adapter installed and that the internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) properties are set to Obtain an IP address automatically. Then switch your WIFI off then restart your PC then when the laptop is fully booted switch the WIFI on again and check for connection.

I agree to a point, but think that using a mobile device will be easier to set up static IP address initially. It's just easier IMO.

Do you have an android device OP, and a late-ish version of android?

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Ok i have completed your tip and no luck. I pull an IP adress and it shows connection and connection speed. says im operational and have an ipv4 connection. But nothing coming through.

and im using a Note 4 to try now 

OK i setup a static ip on phone and laptop...same situation. Connected no internet. 

4 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

I agree to a point, but think that using a mobile device will be easier to set up static IP address initially. It's just easier IMO.

Do you have an android device OP, and a late-ish version of android?

Yes i do have a lat-ish android phone and yes it would be easier but what he should find out is where exactly his issue is happening and why, more so the where be it on his end or the hotel's, i suspect it is on his end and it may very well be an installed program or some other connection config is taking the "default", i have seen this on my sister's ASUS Zen phone 3, she uses skype alot at and for work both home and abroad and when she tries to connect home the configs that she connects to from one particular hotel in Latin America has some sort of "always connect" config over other WIFI configs, the only way to stop it is to delete all the connection in the WIFI list on the phone, reboot the phone and connect to what ever connection you want to connect. What i am trying to do is assess if that is happening to him, not saying it is but i was just first on my mind to check for.

4 hours ago, Anthadeas said:

Ok i have completed your tip and no luck. I pull an IP adress and it shows connection and connection speed. says im operational and have an ipv4 connection. But nothing coming through.

and im using a Note 4 to try now 

There is really no way to actually find out why this is happening to all your devices and not your wife's but i am leaning to some setup you use that maybe causing it and only the front desk maybe able to help you.

How did you pull the IP address which showed you have a connection but noting is coming through?

Try these three

1. make sure roaming/data plan is off and try a direct WIFI to the hotel's network with just WIFI turned on on your devices, if this is already done then move tip 2 below 
  2. tell your wife to disconnect her devices and then see if you can connect your devices, some hotels have a limit on devices that can connect
  3. go to the front desk and tell them you can connect and they may need to reboot the WIFI or give you a specific connection config

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.