IC Diamond scratches IHS????

Broken software

So I was looking at thermal paste and I saw ic Diamond and people seem to say it’s good and stumbled upon  This  Can I still Use it on ryzen without it scratching the numbers off??  Can I use on my laptop  which is a Dell m4600, can I use icd on the cpu and gpu without scratching the dies??

•  I have a silver arrow extreme cooler for my 1400 totally not overkill

Diamonds are abrasive, which can lead to scratches if you're not too careful while sitting your cooler on your CPU. This could void warranties from what  I've heard, but I'm not 100% sure myself.

It CAN scratch it, yes, but it's not a guarantee, basically depends how vigorously you wipe it off. If you're concerned about it, get something else

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 minute ago, Broken software said:

So I was looking at thermal paste and I saw ic Diamond and people seem to say it’s good and stumbled upon  This  Can I still Use it on ryzen without it scratching the numbers off??  Can I use on my laptop  which is a Dell m4600, can I use icd on the cpu and gpu without scratching the dies??

•  I have a silver arrow extreme cooler for my 1400 totally not overkill

It will no matter what cause some abrasion since it has a very high diamond content, you can use it directly on a IHS or even dies but it will cause scratches.

You could use something like Thermal grizzly kryonaut, one of the best performers out there.

1 minute ago, Broken software said:

Is that liquid Metal?

No, the conductonaut is.

I would recommend MX-4 instead of IC-D though.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Liquid metal works best when applied to the CPU die. If you're putting it on the IHS then it won't be as good. Better off just using a better paste/grease.

• 2 weeks later...

I replaced mx4 with thermal grizzly and got 1 degree higher temps.  8600k @ 4.8ghz.  Saw a youtube video where another guy gets exact same result.  I am calling thermal grizzly bogus.  Don't know if I can send this stuff back since it is open, but I feel cheated.

12 minutes ago, tony95 said:

I replaced mx4 with thermal grizzly and got 1 degree higher temps.  8600k @ 4.8ghz.  Saw a youtube video where another guy gets exact same result.  I am calling thermal grizzly bogus.  Don't know if I can send this stuff back since it is open, but I feel cheated.

i thought it was widely known that thermal paste, unless you get the downright junk stuff (i.e. the bulk junk from china) is basically no different... maybe 1-2C here and there...

focus on the cooler more than the paste...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

5 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

i thought it was widely known that thermal paste, unless you get the downright junk stuff (i.e. the bulk junk from china) is basically no different... maybe 1-2C here and there...

focus on the cooler more than the paste...

Yes, I agree with that, but $30 a tube and isn't as good as mx4?  People should know that this is a scam.  I also think it is relevant for those who want to squeeze every degree possible.

After one day, my temps dropped with the Thermal Grizzly.  So I guess it's ok, still expensive though

On 12/21/2017 at 12:21 PM, tony95 said:

After one day, my temps dropped with the Thermal Grizzly.  So I guess it's ok, still expensive though

Many pastes like kryonaut have a cure time before they become 100% effective.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.