What Age Should kids get phones  

165 members have voted

1. 1. Age Range

• 5-8
    • 9-10
    • 11-12
    • 13-14
    • Other Opinion(Reply)

I gave my kid a POS Pantech Renue as his first starter phone, and that was only because he got into after-school activities and needed a way to contact me or my wife.  He only got a smartphone (GS5) when he was 15.

I think it comes down to a case-by-case basis.

21 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

No, no, no, and defienlty no. 

You sound just like my Dad did before my Mom convinced him that a cell phone is a necessity. 

Unless your our kid is driven and picked up from school he or she gets around. Meaning you don’t know where they are.

if that alone isn’t reason enough to at least give your kid a basic call/text phone then I don’t know what is. Because to me that just sounds like a parent who doesn’t care about their kids. 

1. You are were you say you will be, if not, there are measures of discipline that can be applied.

2. Payphones exist, used if you change location.

3. Schools have phones that are free to use.

4. If neither is available a friends phone could be used if possible.

5. Apparently I don't care about my kid since I expect accountability from my children, just like my parents didn't care about me by doing the same. :| 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

23 hours ago, JDE said:

11-12. At that age they should be able to go to school themselves and take the train, bus, etc

How is that related to phone-owning?

23 hours ago, KyberKylo77 said:

Thats a bit too old tbh since you would need a phone for things like studying

Studying? How does a phone have anything to do with studying?

17 hours ago, KyberKylo77 said:

You'd feel left out since every other kid would have their own phone 

3 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

Feeling left out is not a good reason to have something. :| 

This. That is the silliest reason to make decision about your children. Actually, that's a wasted opportunity to teach some of the most important lessons to your children.

I'm old enough for phones not to be a thing at any relevant age, but through high school several practices became "what all the kids do", including smoking, alcohol, drugs, and dubious sexual and more general health practices. What exactly it is that "every kid does/owns" will depend on the peer group the kids land in, and as much as you may like to think otherwise, that's largely beyond your control. So, making sure your kid "blends in" with whatever it is he may be surrounded by is not a very sound policy in my opinion. Much better to make your own, thoughtful choices and stand by them, whether that puts your kids in the majority or in the minority. They need to learn to live and coexist with people in both statuses. 

17 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

1. You are were you say you will be, if not, there are measures of discipline that can be applied.

You took that the wrong way. 

18 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

2. Payphones exist, used if you change location

Not in my area. Unless you mean prepaid phones. Which is a viable substitute to a smartphone for someone who is not in High School in my opinion. 

18 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

. If neither is available a friends phone could be used if possible.

And what happens when that isn’t around either? 

I simply think that the position of not giving your child a cellular connection to the world does harm than good and doesn’t align with the style of paranting that I belive is right.

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

How is that related to phone-owning?

Independent movement requires independent communication. 

1 minute ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Studying? How does a phone have anything to do with studying?

Mobile internet access. Phones can use Google in it’s full capacity. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

11-12, mostly to contact their parents. Whether it's a smartphone or not depends on what the parents want to do. I got a basic keyboard phone at around 12.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

I was 10 when I got my first phone. Came in handy like 3 times in the school year. Not really handy. Until they start doing extra shit and going out and needing to call parents then that is when they need a phone. Period.

Rig Specs:

Ryzen 7 1700 3.9ghz @1.33125v Cinebench Scores Best:1750cb Average: 1735cb

Asrock X370 SLI/AC  SOLD

Evga GTX 560 Ti 1gb    Just got a EVGA GTX 780 HydroCopper

G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8gb 2400mhz oc’d to 2666mhz (bought when ram was still cheap :()  

Corsair RM850

Enthoo Pro M Acrylic Changing to a Inwin 301 soon

Custom CPU Loop (watercooling is boring to me right now so I want to go back to air cooling and do like one more WC Loop in a Inwin 301)

Intel 256gb SSD

Kingston 240gb SSD

HyperX 90gb SSD

Not So Shitbox v3 Specs:

I7 2600k oc'd to 4.7 @ 1.4ish (will do more when I get a better cooler) 

MSI P67-GD55  Sold to fund my gpu

Gigabyte Windforce HD 6950

Team Elite Plus 8gb DDR3 (1 stick) @ 1600mhz

Thermaltake Toughpower 750 watt

Cooler Master T4

Enthoo Luxe 

Kingston 120gb SSD

WD Black 1tb HDD

Laptop:

Asus GL552VW-DH71

i7 6700HQ

2x8gb DDR4 

1tb hard drive

GTX 960m

15in IPS 1080p display

52 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

You took that the wrong way. 

Not in my area. Unless you mean prepaid phones. Which is a viable substitute to a smartphone for someone who is not in High School in my opinion. 

And what happens when that isn’t around either? 

I simply think that the position of not giving your child a cellular connection to the world does harm than good and doesn’t align with the style of paranting that I belive is right.

51 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Independent movement requires independent communication. 

Mobile internet access. Phones can use Google in it’s full capacity. 

Very short sighted reply, tunnel vision thinking if I may say so and I am not attempting to be argumentative here.

I guarantee I can find a phone to be used within walking distance in any town the US. Store, gas station, public transit, etc.... 

You skipped the school phone option.

Like I said accountability, knowing where you will be and knowing how to be able to communicate ahead of time. Plan ahead. I remember what is was like when cell phones or mobiles first came out (I was born in '81) but they were not cheap. I always have a plan B, why? because my parent taught me to never rely on just one avenue and the Army reinforced that. My children will also learn that, something a lot of people do not learn. Why should I pay for something that at their age now and as an adolescent when they have yet reached a level of (yes I will say this) maturity and when they do get that point it will be up to them to make that choice and be responsible for it, maintaining it and so on, so forth.

I see zero harm in this. I see more positives, it teaches; accountability, responsibility, money management, planning, awareness, time management and more.

Google wont and cannot teach that. If your style of parenting is teach them to rely on google them well that is your choice I wont debate semantics on parenting. I can tell from a parents point of view that doesn't work.

But now we are going off the topic at hand so I will stop myself now before we derail this thread.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Just now, SansVarnic said:

K

23 hours ago, RyanEsau said:

I'd probably say 7-12 the kid could get a cheapo flipphone that can just make calls and texts. Namely to keep some sort of reach, so if something happens at school they can call home for example.

Maybe once they're a teenager and I deem them responsible/mature enough, then they can have a smartphone.

That actually is a pretty logical thing to do in my opinion.

19 hours ago, KyberKylo77 said:

You'd feel left out since every other kid would have their own phone and also phones arent just for games and fun, its also for researching things on the go, calling parents when you need it and having emergency contacts just in case. Imo, you should at least get a handed down phone from your parents by 13 years. Personally, My first phone was an s3 when i was 14 

You'd feel left out?They'd break your old flipphone/phone. I actually had my nokia get completely destroyed by a bunch of dumb idiots at age 12.

My parents never had smartphones my mother had an old Nokia, which to this day she is still using. My dad now has a smartphone .. but I ain't gonna see him just for that.

I take a lot of public transit and am lucky to be right in the hours all the schools close. Yay.

All I see is broken screens, kids pressing the screen so hard it shows white spots & starts acting up/etc

Best example I still remember is from 1 week ago, I see a boy get on the bus.. probably around age 12-13 max.

He pulls an iPhone X out of he's pocket connected to the Lighting -> 3.5mm jack and is listening to some music. The screen on that device is completely broken and so is the back, wow. Then after changing the song/upping the volume/or something like that he puts it away and out of he's bag he grabs another iPhone X in mint condition.

I was amazed, he's backpack was tearing/shoe's looked like he went to the cold war/and dude wash your fucking hair

But yet he seemingly had money to get an iPhone X? TWICE!?!

Look that is a typical example of a kid that should really not get those things.

I presume they are already short on € at home, considering it all. But then they buy a $ 1000 phone. Even on a contract you still pay a lot for it in Belgium. Contracts are often more here then the device, but just with payments over time.

Feeling left out is something you can fix as a kid, at first I felt like I was missing out. But then I realised nearly no one had a laptop they could call their own. Only one spoiled little brat had a custom watercooled gaming rig. The spoiled fuck.

So I actually didn't mind missing a smartphone, I mainly used my phone as a music player. Still do.

But since I started using Spotify 2 years ago I cannot use a normal phone anymore, it always just plays mp3's.

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

14 minimum, I got my first phone when i was 14 and only cause i went to school using public transit. It was a smartphone ( HTC dream)  but i currently work at a school k-12, and often see students as young as grade 4 have smartphones. It is totally unnecessary at this age, i would agree with the whole education thing, except phone are nothing but a pain in the butt in the class room. Don't get me wrong before i started working in education i was all for kids getting phones, but seeing now the issues it causes with cyber bulling and sexting, and the massive amounts of distracted kids in schools. It is better to hold off untill your kids are more mature, a simple call only phone would be fine but not a smart phone. and im 22, yet when i have a kid, he's waiting till 14. 

ps interesting side note,  a school board in toronto banned snapchat, netflix etc due to bandwith issues http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/tdsb-extends-snapchat-ban-1.4275511    

Main System:

i7 6700, 32GB DDR3, AMD Rx 580x2 CF, 480GB HyperX SSD

Work System:

i7 4790, 32GB DDR3, AMD Rx 480, 120GB HyperX SSD

Main storage Server/ backup compute node:

2x Xeon 2670 2.6Ghz (16 cores total ), 144GB  ECC DDR3, 16x4TB WD RED in RAID 6, 2x480GB HyperX SSD in RAID 1 

Main compute node: 

HP 380dlp gen8 2x xeon 2650 V2s 144GB DDR3 ECC, 25x 120GB hyperx v4 ssds

Old Gaming System/mining rig:

i5 2400, 16GB DDR3, 5x rx 480 , 120GB HyperX SSD

On 5-12-2017 at 5:25 AM, TrevMCC38 said:

It seems like there is a lot of debate on what age kids should get phones. I personaly feel that if they are responsible enough, they should get a hand-me-down at 9-10, and get something better at 11-12

hand me down old phone thing at 9-10, 11-13 cheap android phone (sub $200) 14+ buy your own

8 minutes ago, ayeeebruh said:

ps interesting side note,  a school board in toronto banned snapchat, netflix etc due to bandwith issues http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/tdsb-extends-snapchat-ban-1.4275511    

Here at my school we've had censorship for years, almost every game site is blocked, all .info urls are blocked, twitter is blocked, anything slightly related to gaming is blocked but instagram, youtube and netflix aren't.

Just now, mikat said:

Here at my school we've had censorship for years, almost every game site is blocked, all .info urls are blocked, twitter is blocked, anything slightly related to gaming is blocked but instagram, youtube and netflix aren't.

Oh yeah we have that too, My job is IT mangement/ sys admin, so its up to me to make sure they don't breach web filters and such. some of the ways the kids try and bypass them, its funny as hell. but we block most social media on a dns level so it keeps them at bay for the most part. Thankfully due to QOS and rate limiting at the wifi ap keeps our bandwidth under control. 

Main System:

Work System:

2x Xeon 2670 2.6Ghz (16 cores total ), 144GB  ECC DDR3, 16x4TB WD RED in RAID 6, 2x480GB HyperX SSD in RAID 1 

Main compute node: 

1 minute ago, ayeeebruh said:

Oh yeah we have that too, My job is IT mangement/ sys admin, so its up to me to make sure they don't breach web filters and such. some of the ways the kids try and bypass them, its funny as hell. but we block most social media on a dns level so it keeps them at bay for the most part. Thankfully due to QOS and rate limiting at the wifi ap keeps our bandwidth under control. 

do you guys also block all direct connections? my school does that so I can't even ssh into my google cloud vms from my phone since the google cloud console app on android doesn't work on 4g for some reason :/

google's ssh client on the desktop works through https so it does work there

and yes: I know about ssh tunneling and the bypassing of filters, I've used tor before to get around those pesky filters when I was younger

On 12/5/2017 at 4:38 AM, JDE said:

11-12. At that age they should be able to go to school themselves and take the train, bus, etc. At least that's what we do here in Vancouver.

Pretty common to see 11/12 y/os going on the train themselves or walking to school themselves.

IMO they should be responsible enough to get at least a budget phone ($170-$230 USD)

This is not budget, Nokia 3310 or STFU till you have a job.

Guarna: R5 1600, Asrock Taichi, AMD Fury Nitro (Heating space since '15), 16 GB Samsung DDR4 2666 (3000mhz OC) Green PCB ugly stuff.

1 minute ago, mikat said:

do you guys also block all direct connections? my school does that so I can't even ssh into my google cloud vms from my phone since the google cloud console app on android doesn't work on 4g for some reason :/

google's ssh client on the desktop works through https so it does work there

and yes: I know about ssh tunneling and the bypassing of filters, I've used tor before to get around those pesky filters when I was younger

The student network is vlaned separately, we tunnel their traffic to a vpn provider upstream ( since we have had issues with kids torrenting and other issues on our network. ) AT the UTM level we filter dns, and have a strict whitelist filtering, where we block all connections unless it is on the whitelist. further most out bound ports for services like ssh, teamviewers ping home servers etc are block, with only 80 allowed and 443 is ssl sniffed, i.e (MITM) This plus the fact that we assiciate each students login with their student file, it keeps most of them at bay, i have had some students try to use zero days in our previous consumer aps before till we witched to an enterprise grade aps. To access and use the unfiltered vlan haha. 

Main System:

Work System:

Main compute node: 

IMO i'd only give my own kids a smartphone at 13-14(i'd happily delay it if they're not mature enough), but i might let them have one at 11-12 if they can prove they're ready for one. any younger and they're getting the cheapest thing i can find in the thrift store :P

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

14 minutes ago, ayeeebruh said:

The student network is vlaned separately, we tunnel their traffic to a vpn provider upstream ( since we have had issues with kids torrenting and other issues on our network. ) AT the UTM level we filter dns, and have a strict whitelist filtering, where we block all connections unless it is on the whitelist. further most out bound ports for services like ssh, teamviewers ping home servers etc are block, with only 80 allowed and 443 is ssl sniffed, i.e (MITM) This plus the fact that we assiciate each students login with their student file, it keeps most of them at bay, i have had some students try to use zero days in our previous consumer aps before till we witched to an enterprise grade aps. To access and use the unfiltered vlan haha. 

soooo can you use ssh over port 80 if you set your stuff up right?

the point is: kids should just use 'unblocked games' sites to game at school

If we are talking about a phone to contact me or my wife and other emergencies, i would say from 9 in my case. 

For a smart phone: whenever she saved up for one.

Mind you this is mainly down to me cutting cables, we do not have a phone line as mobiles replaced them. Since you cannot get an actual land line anymore (all new lines are sip from your modem) i stopped using it.

My oldest daughter has a phone with a sim that is tied to my main account. So she can call whatever i allow. 

13 minutes ago, mikat said:

soooo can you use ssh over port 80 if you set your stuff up right?

the point is: kids should just use 'unblocked games' sites to game at school

possibly yes i'll try it  out see if my utm picks it up

Main System:

Work System:

Main compute node: 

47 minutes ago, ayeeebruh said:

Snapchat and Instagram is one thing, but Netflix? Kids trying to watch Netflix during Study Hall or something? Damn.

Them also mentioning it alleviated the stress and helped the teachers actually get faster speeds to do their stuff though... That many kids walking in and getting on Snapchat/Instagram right away?

Guess they're taking selfies and captioning like "Finally at school. The worst place on Earth. FML". Still seems crazy that it affected the network so much though. How actively can all the students really be sneaking selfies and what not once they get on school grounds/in class?

Also

It says teachers reported faster internet speeds and, as a result, were able to complete key tasks such as attendance and registration.

It's digitized now? I guess I can see how it's helpful but still, wow.

Once they are old enough to leave alone at home when you go shopping. So if something happens to them they can call their parents or emergency line.

And they should probably get a dumbphone first so they don't start doing stupid things like sending dic pics to everyone...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

I think 13~14... before that I can not see it being beneficial.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)