which is a better choice R7 1700 vs i7 8700 non k

I want to build a gaming and workstation pc which will be a better choice

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

10 minutes ago, HHHH said:

for gaming the i7 8700 will have better performance, I don't know what you want to do on your workstation so not sure what you need.

Coffee lake only has Z370 boards out now so your mobo will cost more at the time.

UserBenchmark

Desktop

CPUi5-6600K MotherboardGigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P CPU Cooler: Thermalright True Spirit 120M Black/white RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: Gigabyte 1070 HDDs: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM  SSDSamsung EVO 850 500GB PSU: Coolermaster 550W 80+ Gold Case: NZXT S340 (White) with a white led strip ;)

Laptops

Dell 7577

CPUi7 7700HQ RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: GTX1060 Max-q HDD: 1TB 5400 RPM  SSDNVMe 512GB SCREEN: 4k IPS 15.6"

Macbook pro 2018

CPUi7 RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: Radeon Pro 555X 4GB Storage256GB SCREEN: 15"

Just now, EG! said:

UserBenchmark is pretty unreliable. It doesn't care if the result submits a underclocked or LN2 overclocked result.

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

What @EG! said is true.

For gaming Intel still holds the crown, thanks to higher single core performance.

If you plan to stream/edit video in premiere/after effects/record video or any other multithreaded workload an AMD Ryzen is the better all round option but will perform somewhat lower in games.

In the end you have to decide what you'll do with your system and remember you have to use it, not one of the people giving tips ;)

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

Just now, Sfekke said:

What @EG! said is true.

For gaming Intel still holds the crown, thanks to higher single core performance.

If you plan to stream/edit video in premiere/after effects/record video or any other multithreaded workload an AMD Ryzen is the better all round option but will perform somewhat lower in games.

In the end you have to decide what you'll do with your system and remember you have to use it, not one of the people giving tips ;)

The 8700 actually is actually about equal in editing, however if the person is streaming I would recommend Ryzen.

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

At first you would be fine with both, basicly (for gaming related workloads, a bit of streaming one or two videos here and there).

The Intel IPC/overclocking benefit is more or less a non factor with a non K (or a nonoverclockable motherboard) CPU for the most part. But tbh you should also overclock the R7 (if you choose it) to use it's full potential (I speak about reasonable stable overclocks like maybe a 3,7GHz on all cores).

All in all for pure multithreaded workloads is the R7 a better option, for most games is more or less the i7 8700 a "better" option but not by very much when you choose a i7 8700(non K). At the end I would make the choice by the better price between these two, you could pick a cheaper  motherboard with the non K intel chip but I wouldn't recomand that personally.  right now you only have the option to pick a Z370 board, which would make a i7 8700 (non K) an even stranger pick as it is.

To repeat myself again, you will be fine with both for gaming and if you really don't want to overclock (because you you don't want to hassle with that stuff) than I recomand ou to pick the intel i7 8700 chip or at least a R7 1700x.

EDIT: in red

1 minute ago, JDE said:

UserBenchmark is pretty unreliable. It doesn't care if the result submits a underclocked or LN2 overclocked result.

I have to agree with @JDE here, but it gives you a baseline.

I'd recommend to @HHHH to give some benchmarks a look, specific ones of the software/games you'll play.

And pick based on those charts preferably in the resolutions you plan to play in, do not look at 4K charts when you'll play at 1080P.

who ya gonna call?

*Terrible joke I know*

21 minutes ago, HHHH said:

Budget? Mainly gaming or work? What kind of work you do?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

1 minute ago, ZM Fong said:

Budget? Mainly gaming or work? What kind of work you do?

My professional work is mostly with coding-decoding and database related and my budget for CPU motherboard and ram is around 600$ to 650$

Id say go with the Ryzen chip.  More cores will have a more pronounced impact that the higher frequency of the 8700.  Plus the 8700 runs pretty hot (even stock) and there is an additional cost associated with a decent AIO or high-end air cooler.  Also, the Ryzen socket will be used in future generations of AMD CPUs, as such a solid X370 board can take advantage of a 2nd (possibly even 3rd) generation Ryzen CPU.  Gaming, especially at 1080p, will take more advantage of the Intel chips with their higher frequency and better single core performance, but not to the extent that buying into the Z370 platform makes it worthwhile. 

Z370 and the 8th gen Intel CPUs seem to have been rushed to market in response to Ryzen, but they carry a higher price tag that I don't think is warranted for some extra frames per second in games.  Gaming is far more GPU dependent.  Put the extra money you save in a better graphics card or more RAM.  Too bad you missed the sales last week, very low prices for either platform, relative to what they usually go for.

25 minutes ago, 88pockets said:

Id say go with the Ryzen chip.  More cores will have a more pronounced impact that the higher frequency of the 8700.  Plus the 8700 runs pretty hot (even stock) and there is an additional cost associated with a decent AIO or high-end air cooler.  Also, the Ryzen socket will be used in future generations of AMD CPUs, as such a solid X370 board can take advantage of a 2nd (possibly even 3rd) generation Ryzen CPU.  Gaming, especially at 1080p, will take more advantage of the Intel chips with their higher frequency and better single core performance, but not to the extent that buying into the Z370 platform makes it worthwhile. 

Z370 and the 8th gen Intel CPUs seem to have been rushed to market in response to Ryzen, but they carry a higher price tag that I don't think is warranted for some extra frames per second in games.  Gaming is far more GPU dependent.  Put the extra money you save in a better graphics card or more RAM.  Too bad you missed the sales last week, very low prices for either platform, relative to what they usually go for.

3 rd gen ryzen support confirmed recently in a q and a, and btw OP don't cheap out on the boards, remember that it's still a 8 core CPU and the platform will last a long time ( gen 3 is out In 2019-2020)

The i7 8700

if you have an entire hour to burn this shows why:

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

4 hours ago, Sfekke said:

Not only higher single core performance.

Ryzen's architecture (2* CCX = Zeppelin die) is making the gaming performance worse as well.

Ring bus is a better choice for gaming

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

4 minutes ago, dave_k said:

Not only higher single core performance.

Ryzen's architecture (2* CCX = Zeppelin die) is making the gaming performance worse as well.

Ring bus is a better choice for gaming

@HHHH I'd say it is up to you now.

If you are just going to play through games it seems like we all agree Intel is the option.

If you are going to game but also do some video/photo/3D modelling also known as : multi threaded workloads AMD Ryzen is a great option.

I am not going to say what you must get and why it is the only option, I will tell you what I'd do but in the end you have to use it and all the people that tried to help you do not.

I'd say hopefully this is enough information :)

Edit : 

What @dave_k says is true by the way, do your homework kids haha =)
*That last bit is meant as a joke, not meant to offend or intentionally hurt anyone*

Edited by Sfekke
Added my opinion on Dave_K's comment.

who ya gonna call?

*Terrible joke I know*

7 hours ago, Sfekke said:

@HHHH I'd say it is up to you now.

If you are just going to play through games it seems like we all agree Intel is the option.

If you are going to game but also do some video/photo/3D modelling also known as : multi threaded workloads AMD Ryzen is a great option.

I am not going to say what you must get and why it is the only option, I will tell you what I'd do but in the end you have to use it and all the people that tried to help you do not.

I'd say hopefully this is enough information :)

Edit : 

What @dave_k says is true by the way, do your homework kids haha =)
*That last bit is meant as a joke, not meant to offend or intentionally hurt anyone*

we all taking about stock my confusion is 1700 is overclockable to 3.7GHZ with stock cooler can it beat 8700 non k or match it or which is better ??