1440p 144hz or 1080p 240hz Gsync

Steemax

Which one would you choose if you had my system. 

Currently have 1440p 144hz monitor without Gsync. 

I get 144 fps (capped) on WoW, 80 to 110 in PUBG, and 130+ in Witcher. 

I'm thinking the 1080p display will cause a bottleneck?

Also resolution doesn't bug me, I enjoy higher refresh rate more. 

Specs: 

AMD Ryzen 1700x @3.9ghz

ASRock x370 Taichi

Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB GDDR4 3200mhz

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW Gaming in 2 way SLI

Samsung Evo 960 Nvme M.2 500gb & WD Blue 1TB

Corsair TX850M 2017 Edition

Asus MU278Q 27" 144hz 1440p

Thoughts?

AMD Ryzen 1700x

ASRock x370 Taichi

Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB GDDR4 3200

EVGA GTX 1080 Ti K|NGP|N

Fractal Meshify C

Corsair TX850M Gold

Alienware AW2518H 240Hz Gsync

Audioengine A2+ & Sennheiser HD6xx /w Fiio K5 Pro

Deepcool Captain 240Pro V2

Vortex Race 3 Cherry Mx Red

Corsair Vengeance M65 PRO RGB

I'd stick to the 1440p panel, the detail quality etc is much better and you already have it so downgrading to 1080p (even with G-Sync) is just a waste of money IMO.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

U'll get diminishing returns once u hit 80fps above.

Stick with your monitor or buy the same specs with G-sync.

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

1 minute ago, Hiya! said:

Uh, no.

I think, if u dont care about resolution at all, and u are planning on going TN either way, than i say go 240 hz. G-sync will be absolutely amazing with that as well.

6 minutes ago, Steemax said:

Thoughts?

I'd stick with 1440p. Trust me you really don't want to go back to 1080p once you're used to 1440p or above... I had an ultrawide and went back to 1080p because my GTX 1060 didn't really cut it at 3440x1440, and I'm a sucker for high framrates.

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

10 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

I'd stick to the 1440p panel, the detail quality etc is much better and you already have it so downgrading to 1080p (even with G-Sync) is just a waste of money IMO.

True, it's not a lot of gain at all for the money. It would be more for the Gsync and downsizing to 24".

8 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

Stick with your monitor or buy the same specs with G-sync.

I mean there's quite a difference for me from 100hz to 144hz. My friend is using a 80hz panel and 144hz blew his mind. 

3 minutes ago, tp95112 said:

1440p. 240hz is a bitch to get in every game

I'm afraid it will be even more difficult if 1080p creates a bottleneck. 

3 minutes ago, -TesseracT- said:

Uh, no.

I think, if u dont care about resolution at all, and u are planning on going TN either way, than i say go 240 hz. G-sync will be absolutely amazing with that as well.

This is what i'm thinking. I only have been using TN panels so that's not an issue and I don't care about resolution. Gsync is the biggest selling point to me if it's worth it. 

AMD Ryzen 1700x

ASRock x370 Taichi

EVGA GTX 1080 Ti K|NGP|N

Fractal Meshify C

Corsair TX850M Gold

2 minutes ago, black0utm1rage said:

I'd stick with 1440p. Trust me you really don't want to go back to 1080p once you're used to 1440p or above... I had an ultrawide and went back to 1080p because my GTX 1060 didn't really cut it at 3440x1440, and I'm a sucker for high framrates.

I am afraid of this as well. I'm going to check it out in store as I really don't care about resolution but my opinion could change once they are next to each other. 

AMD Ryzen 1700x

ASRock x370 Taichi

EVGA GTX 1080 Ti K|NGP|N

Fractal Meshify C

Corsair TX850M Gold

1 minute ago, Steemax said:

I mean there's quite a difference for me from 100hz to 144hz. My friend is using a 80hz panel and 144hz blew his mind. 

Its just a placebo effect.

It has been proven see my post above.

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

If you’re asking if you should buy a new monitor that has G-Sync then I wouldn’t bother. It’s not worth the massive amount of money you’d be spending since you already have a really nice monitor

That's an F in the profile pic

Just now, Hiya! said:

Then tell me, how is it, that when I play CS, and my fps goes from 250 to 80 (which it does sometimes when im tabbing in and out of the game a lot), it feels like absolute shit? I will give u one thing, it doesnt look bad, but it feels bad. I have a 165 hz monitor, and I can notice a difference in smoothness and responsiveness when moving my mouse when i play a game in 150 fps and when i play a game in 400 (bioshock lol). 

So I feel that upgrading to 240 hz from 144/165 hz could be worth it to some people (altough i would rather take ips 1440p), especially since it has g-sync, which with a roof of 240 hz will be AMAZING. and its not like he couldnt get a lot of games up to that area of fps, with 1070 SLI.

4 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

Its just a placebo effect.

It has been proven see my post above.

I get 150 fps on a perticular map on csgo (badly optimized map). Few weeks ago, i was like "lets play some bioshock" (game from 2007/2008 whjatever), and i was like "wtf this is super smooth, what frames am i even getting on this". i opened msi afterburner, and i saw: 400 fps. i tell you, it is not a placebo effect, not in my case

8 minutes ago, -TesseracT- said:

Then tell me, how is it, that when I play CS, and my fps goes from 250 to 80 (which it does sometimes when im tabbing in and out of the game a lot), it feels like absolute shit? I will give u one thing, it doesnt look bad, but it feels bad. I have a 165 hz monitor, and I can notice a difference in smoothness and responsiveness when moving my mouse when i play a game in 150 fps and when i play a game in 400 (bioshock lol). 

So I feel that upgrading to 240 hz from 144/165 hz could be worth it to some people (altough i would rather take ips 1440p), especially since it has g-sync, which with a roof of 240 hz will be AMAZING. and its not like he couldnt get a lot of games up to that area of fps, with 1070 SLI.

I've experienced the same, even if it is a placebo effect, it's one placebo effect i don't mind having. 2/3 games i play most frequently are capped at 144fps to avoid tearing so I don't have issues hitting big numbers like you said.... man this is a tough decision. Besides the 240hz the bigger selling point for me is the Gsync and downsizing to a 24" for moving into a smaller NYC apartment. 

AMD Ryzen 1700x

ASRock x370 Taichi

EVGA GTX 1080 Ti K|NGP|N

Fractal Meshify C

Corsair TX850M Gold

23 minutes ago, Steemax said:

True, it's not a lot of gain at all for the money. It would be more for the Gsync and downsizing to 24".

I'm afraid it will be even more difficult if 1080p creates a bottleneck. 

This is what i'm thinking. I only have been using TN panels so that's not an issue and I don't care about resolution. Gsync is the biggest selling point to me if it's worth it. 

1080p is a cpu bottleneck for 240hz. 1440p those 1070s will destroy

19 minutes ago, -TesseracT- said:

Then tell me, how is it, that when I play CS, and my fps goes from 250 to 80 (which it does sometimes when im tabbing in and out of the game a lot), it feels like absolute shit

Because when u tab out your system wont focused on the apps anymore it might still use some of your resources but it wont be really focused on it. and when u tab in it will back to focused on it again dont trust your fps counter cause it wont refresh fast enough when that happen. try using frametime to see how long those frames are arrived.

16 minutes ago, -TesseracT- said:

I get 150 fps on a perticular map on csgo (badly optimized map). Few weeks ago, i was like "lets play some bioshock" (game from 2007/2008 whjatever), and i was like "wtf this is super smooth, what frames am i even getting on this". i opened msi afterburner, and i saw: 400 fps. i tell you, it is not a placebo effect, not in my case

Its badly optimized what did u expect?
But personally i am not bringing up my personal experience as a proof cause it can be differ from one to another.

If u can notice what most of us cant then its good for you.

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

10 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

Because when u tab out your system wont focused on the apps anymore it might still use some of your resources but it wont be really focused on it. and when u tab in it will back to focused on it again dont trust your fps counter cause it wont refresh fast enough when that happen. try using frametime to see how long those frames are arrived.

It stays at 80 fps until I restart the game...

11 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

If u can notice what most of us cant then its good for you.

I think, a lot of it has to do with what you are used to and how high u have set ur standards.

1 minute ago, -TesseracT- said:

t stays at 80 fps until I restart the game...

use Full screen borderless.

Things like that often happen when u switching from full screen to desktop or whatever apps u are using.

Sometimes it will back to normal after a while but on some games it wont till u restart it.

3 minutes ago, -TesseracT- said:

I think, a lot of it has to do with what you are used to and how high u have set ur standards.

Maybe but i prefer to believe in fact instead of theory or personal experience.

Because its a huge mistake to theorize before one has data and inevitably one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suits facts.

So if i have to believe in personal experience or theory they must have data to back it up or at least suits the facts.

I hope this conversation wont hurt anyone cause i dont have any intention to do so just hanging out in the forum trying to help people.

If somehow i did accidentally hurt someone then i am really sorry i have no intention to do so.

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

Looks like I'm going to stick with my 1440p screen for now. I tried putting my resolution to 1080p on my current monitor to see what happens. Obviously 1440p didn't scale well down to 1080 as far as details go but it causes quite a big CPU bottle neck. Both GPU's went down to 40% usage each on most games and dropped a few frames pegging my CPU usage. Only way to remedy this was to max out screen scaling to 200% and that was game dependent. Not all games have this feature. 

Only exception was PUBG where I saw a 10ish FPS increase but not at a cost worth taking. 

I suppose the only incentive here is Gsync. 

AMD Ryzen 1700x

ASRock x370 Taichi

EVGA GTX 1080 Ti K|NGP|N

Fractal Meshify C

Corsair TX850M Gold

3 hours ago, Steemax said:

Specs: 

AMD Ryzen 1700x @3.9ghz

ASRock x370 Taichi

Thoughts?

The games you play will never see 240fps on modern hardware. I's say if you were playing e-sports titles like SC:GO or Overwatch then the faster panel would be a benefit, but not with games like the ones you listed.

4 hours ago, Steemax said:

Specs: 

AMD Ryzen 1700x @3.9ghz

ASRock x370 Taichi

Thoughts?

i would stick with 1440P.

TBH, Ryzen would be a bottleneck for 1080P 144Hz.

1440P will let your GTX 1070s stretch their legs.

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard