Oneplus goes (almost) anti-Black Friday

Default_Idiot

So oneplus released a statement ->

https://oneplus.net/black-friday-2017

Cut through the BS. Keep things simple. We make money to fund our product and feed the team. You save money and get the best user experience, whether it's Black Friday or Taco Tuesday.

We prefer to keep the focus on making good products to share with the world. In order to do so, we have to make some money in the process. At the same time, our users would like to save some money. This is where fair pricing comes in.

Basically they say that they're selling the device for a fair price year-round(they've stated this before) and they stand up against "price games". However, they're giving you a whopping $0.01 discount on the 5T and 50% off the dash charging bundle.

Personally I think that's okay to some extent. I don't think that it's that fairly priced, considering that they're still exploiting so many workers in China. But still, some of the components could be the reason for the higher price - things like UFS 2.1 and the RAM are not that cheap anymore. Also, back when they were selling the OP3, there was a shortage of AMOLED displays. But still, the jump from 399 for the OP3 to 499 for the 5/5T is pretty bad for the whole "flagship killer" thing. Not that it's not a great deal, I'm just expecting the price to hit the 600 mark sooner or later.

Edit: Added my opinion(so the post meets the guidelines)

I mean they are great value to start with, don't really need a discount on them unless you're a true cheap ass. 

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

I never pay full price for anything..... I like oneplus but they won’t have my business.

18 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

I mean they are great value to start with, don't really need a discount on them unless you're a true cheap ass. 

That worth has been quite lost through generations. OnePlus 5 costs almost twice of the price of OnePlus iirc (or 70% more?). And I'm not the only person that thinks like that. Far from it.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

10 minutes ago, Anjelllo said:

I never pay full price for anything..... I like oneplus but they won’t have my business.

But it's not full price right now.

Hence you should be buying their phone.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

30 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

But it's not full price right now.

Hence you should be buying their phone.

Or I'll just stick with my M8.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I'll just wait for the V30

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

46 minutes ago, Anjelllo said:

Why won't they have your business?

Also the concept of "not paying full price for anything" is so bizarre. You should be looking at the value each item has at any given moment. If the manufacturers have made it as cheap as possible without compromising on quality, then that's probably a good value.

Not to mention that many places artificially inflate their regular prices to make the "deal" sound good.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

$570 for the 128GB model.

That is not cheap

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

1 minute ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

$570 for the 128GB model.

That is not cheap

Compared to what, exactly? For a Flagship class smartphone, an extra $70 for double the storage isn't bad at all.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

You do realize that a lot of sellers slowly drive up the price before Black Friday and then drop it, making the discount seem better, right?

Maybe One Plus doesn't want to raise the price to begin with

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

I agree with the sentiment, but I can't help but notice 1+ prices have been steadily growing for each release, apparently without much of a reason. 500€ is not that far from what the likes of Samsung demand for their flagships. I could see their point better when their best phone was 350 bucks.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

6 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Compared to what, exactly? For a Flagship class smartphone, an extra $70 for double the storage isn't bad at all.

Except it’s not really a flagship. It has a flagship processor but lacks some features which constitutes a proper flagship in my books.

Is it a bad phone? No, it isn’t. But for $500+, this isn’t a cheap phone anymore. It’s just affordable, not cheap.

I recall the times where if you bought a OnePlus, you got what was undeniably the best deal in town. It was really cheap for what you got, but now that OnePlus is steadily creeping up to $600+ territory, I can’t treat it like an affordable phone anymore.

In some countries even, it’s within spitting distance of a Galaxy S8. It’s no longer cheap.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

50 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

That worth has been quite lost through generations. OnePlus 5 costs almost twice of the price of OnePlus iirc (or 70% more?). And I'm not the only person that thinks like that. Far from it.

Compare it to what else you can get for $500 though and becomes quite an appealing option.

13 minutes ago, Sauron said:

I agree with the sentiment, but I can't help but notice 1+ prices have been steadily growing for each release, apparently without much of a reason. 500€ is not that far from what the likes of Samsung demand for their flagships. I could see their point better when their best phone was 350 bucks.

That's most likely because the company finally figured out that their original business model was simply not valid. They might have made money on the hardware, but I doubt they made a lot of profit after operating expenses.

Either that, or they expanded too quickly and have too much overhead.

7 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Except it’s not really a flagship. It has a flagship processor but lacks some features which constitutes a proper flagship in my books.

Is it a bad phone? No, it isn’t. But for $500+, this isn’t a cheap phone anymore. It’s just affordable, not cheap.

I recall the times where if you bought a OnePlus, you got what was undeniably the best deal in town. It was really cheap for what you got, but now that OnePlus is steadily creeping up to $600+ territory, I can’t treat it like an affordable phone anymore.

In some countries even, it’s within spitting distance of a Galaxy S8. It’s no longer cheap.

True there are some minor compromises, but the extra $200-$400+ to get an S8 or an iPhone is still a lot of extra money.

Either way I would personally not buy one after the privacy/logging issues they had. I did consider the OnePlus 3T, but ended up getting an iPhone 6s instead.

30 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

If the manufacturers have made it as cheap as possible without compromising on quality, then that's probably a good value.

Well the thing is they didn’t, there was a trade-in deal a while back for the s8 dropping it down to 400$(Less than the oneplus 5)  and it’s a vastly superior phone in my opinion. Also if you’re wondering the trade in had no restrictions, so if you wanted, you could just buy an old ass phone off of let go and send it in for the deal.

40 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Not to mention that many places artificially inflate their regular prices to make the "deal" sound good.

I know about artificial inflation and I don’t take the approach of “hey this is on sale, I should buy it” I’m more like “hey I need this item so I’ll check the price every so often and wait for a good deal to pop up.”

50 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

I'll just wait for the V30

Just picked mine up about 30 minutes ago :D

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

8 minutes ago, Anjelllo said:

Well the thing is they didn’t, there was a trade-in deal a while back for the s8 dropping it down to 400$(Less than the oneplus 5)  and it’s a vastly superior phone in my opinion. Also if you’re wondering the trade in had no restrictions, so if you wanted, you could just buy an old ass phone off of let go and send it in for the deal.

I know about artificial inflation and I don’t take the approach of “hey this is on sale, I should buy it” I’m more like “hey I need this item so I’ll check the price every so often and wait for a good deal to pop up.”

Samsung is legit 100% losing money when they sell an S8 for $400. Either that, or the Mobile Carrier is taking the hit and hoping to make it up later w/ mobile service fees.

45 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

True there are some minor compromises, but the extra $200-$400+ to get an S8 or an iPhone is still a lot of extra money.

Either way I would personally not buy one after the privacy/logging issues they had. I did consider the OnePlus 3T, but ended up getting an iPhone 6s instead.

Depends.

In some parts of the world, the phone is only a couple of bucks cheaper than an S8.

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Samsung is legit 100% losing money when they sell an S8 for $400. Either that, or the Mobile Carrier is taking the hit and hoping to make it up later w/ mobile service fees.

Small margins but they aren’t losing money.https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/ianmorris/2017/04/21/samsung-galaxy-s8-is-monstrously-expensive-to-produce/amp/ I still didn’t buy the s8 because I didn’t need a new phone.

36 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Just picked mine up about 30 minutes ago :D

still waiting for LG to release it on the shores of italy

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

7 minutes ago, Anjelllo said:

Small margins but they aren’t losing money.https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/ianmorris/2017/04/21/samsung-galaxy-s8-is-monstrously-expensive-to-produce/amp/ I still didn’t buy the s8 because I didn’t need a new phone.

Yeah... they are probably losing money. Do you think BOM costs are the only cost to sell a unit? There's probably millions of dollars put into R&D for it. There's distribution costs, employee overhead, etc.

If the BOM is $307, and they are selling it retail for $400, there's no way they are making money on that. Not with the distributor's margin, and the retailer's margin, transportation costs, business overhead, etc. Someone is losing money, whether it's Samsung or the Retailer, is the question.

1 hour ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Or I'll just stick with my M8.

What about Android Updates and Security Updates?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 hour ago, Septimus said:

Compare it to what else you can get for $500 though and becomes quite an appealing option.

It's within spitting distance (like $50) of the s8, a much better phone. 

- snip-

5 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Yeah... they are probably losing money. Do you think BOM costs are the only cost to sell a unit? There's probably millions of dollars put into R&D for it. There's distribution costs, employee overhead, etc.

If the BOM is $307, and they are selling it retail for $400, there's no way they are making money on that. Not with the distributor's margin, and the retailer's margin, transportation costs, business overhead, etc. Someone is losing money, whether it's Samsung or the Retailer, is the question.

Well i’d hope they’s be able to keep those fees under 100$, but I don’t really care, if a company offers a deal it’s not my job to give them financial advice