My attempt at a gaming pc

Go to solution Solved by DocSwag,

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($379.50 @ Vuugo) 
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($189.00 @ Vuugo) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($219.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Storage: Crucial - MX300 275GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($109.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($78.50 @ Vuugo) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB WINDFORCE OC 8G Video Card  ($654.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Case: Phanteks - ECLIPSE P400S TEMPERED GLASS ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($94.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte - GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter  ($44.68 @ Amazon Canada) 
Case Fan: Corsair - HD120 RGB 3-Pack w/Controller 54.4 CFM  120mm Fans  ($94.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Total: $1966.62
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-14 09:01 EST-0500

I changed around a lot of stuff and squeezed quite a bit of extra performance out of it.

3 minutes ago, Leonard said:

You should know your place, you have not written any of the forum rules here nor are you anything near a moderator/staff.

The only thing trashy on this post is your rule breaking comment.

Well, when i recommend something, i always try ensure maximum compatibility and issue-free operation. 

Don't forget to tag a moderator and report me ;)

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

6 minutes ago, lowredfred said:

usually i just try to learn from builds that are sent my way but you really did squeeze performance in

i'll probably just switch it to a 1700x and be done

Are you planning on OCing? If yes, you'd be better off buying a CPU cooler to go with the 1700. The 1700x costs $80 more which is quite a lot to pay for a factory oc and missing out on the stock cooler.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

7 minutes ago, Leonard said:

You should know your place, you have not written any of the forum rules here nor are you anything near a moderator/staff.

The only thing trashy on this post is your rule breaking comment.

I'm just gonna say some stuff.

You using an 8 core and water cooler with a b350 mobo that doesn't even have vrm heatsinks is definitely a disaster waiting to happen.

I don't agree with the way Dave k responded to your suggestion, but I agree with his point.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

Just now, dave_k said:

Well, when i recommend something, i always try ensure maximum compatibility and issue-free operation. 

Don't forget to tag a moderator and report me ;)

The reasons why you recommend something are your own and i care not about it.

I have no reason to report you, i know how to defend myself within the rules.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Just now, DocSwag said:

Are you planning on OCing? If yes, you'd be better off buying a CPU cooler to go with the 1700. The 1700x costs $80 more which is quite a lot to pay for a factory oc and missing out on the stock cooler.

i did not notice there was no cpu cooler 

if i don't get the 1700x i am planing on Overclocking

Just now, lowredfred said:

i did not notice there was no cpu cooler 

if i don't get the 1700x i am planing on Overclocking

In that case I would suggest you get a 1700. With the stock cooler you should be able to hit 3.6-3.7 ghz ish. If you want to push it higher to around 3.8-3.9 you could look into something like the H5 or Dark rock 3

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, DocSwag said:

I'm just gonna say some stuff.

You using an 8 core and water cooler with a b350 mobo that doesn't even have vrm heatsinks is definitely a disaster waiting to happen.

I don't agree with the way Dave k responded to your suggestion, but I agree with his point.

I am not using this, it is the OP, i only tried to get him more for his money and his preferences, if it were for me i would not get any RGB anything and put that money to a better SSD, MOBO and PSU but that does not say that his nor my recommendations will not work.

If you or anyone else has a recommendation then post it, the more OP has to peruse from the better for him. 

You are free to agree with whom you like, bothers me not nor does it make me feel to change my recommendation.

1 minute ago, Leonard said:

I am not using this, it is the OP, i only tried to get him more for his money and his preferences, if it were for me i would not get any RGB anything and put that money to a better SSD, MOBO and PSU but that does not say that his nor my recommendations will not work.

If you or anyone else has a recommendation then post it, the more OP has to peruse from the better for him. 

You are free to agree with whom you like, bothers me not nor does it make me feel to change my recommendation.

My recommendation is simply don't cheap out on the mobo.

If you put an 8 core with a water cooler on a 4 phase vrm without vrm heatsinks that's just asking for your mobo to be dead in a year.

I don't have any problem with you giving recommendations, it's just that when somebody gives a recommendation that, in my opinion, is not a great one, I feel the need to point out the flaw in order to a) prevent the person we're trying to help from taking that recommendation and b) in order to help other people learn and potentially give better and more useful recommendations in the future.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

My recommendation is simply don't cheap out on the mobo.

If you put an 8 core with a water cooler on a 4 phase vrm without vrm heatsinks that's just asking for your mobo to be dead in a year.

I don't have any problem with you giving recommendations, it's just that when somebody gives a recommendation that, in my opinion, is not a great one, I feel the need to point out the flaw in order to a) prevent the person we're trying to help from taking that recommendation and b) in order to help other people learn and potentially give better and more useful recommendations in the future.

You are harping about having 8cores and watercooling for the 8 cores, why i have no idea because that is a very wise choice by OP.

No ASUS MOBO, once it passes the numerous tests set by the vendor, will fail because it has no dedicated VRM heatsink, what would happen is that the OC potential will be limited but not non-existent. 

You can go ahead and point out any flaws as you see it i have never or will ever have an issue with that.

9 minutes ago, Leonard said:

what would happen is that the OC potential will be limited but not non-existent. 

wrong

The VRM of that type can get up to 75°C with overclocked R5 1600 (~80A, R7 at stock is close to that) with heatsink. It will go well over 80°C with no heatsink, more like 90°C and the moment you touch any OC settings, the VRM will hit over 100°C. Capacitors will die within a year or 1.5yrs

2 minutes ago, dave_k said:

wrong

The VRM of that type can get up to 75°C with overclocked R5 1600 (~80A, R7 at stock is close to that) and heatsink. It will go well over 80°C with no heatsink, more like 90°C and the moment you touch any OC settings, the VRM will hit over 100°C. Capacitors will die within a year or 1.5yrs

It will go over 80C even with a heatsink. I guess the MOBO will not shut down the PC once the temperatures gets to what it is configured to be as too hot, yeah that won't happen.

Just now, Leonard said:

I guess the MOBO will not shut down the PC once the temperatures gets to what it is configured to be as too hot, yeah that won't happen.

That is correct. Because the VRMs are too dumb to do that

:)

I guess the MOBO will not shut down the PC once the temperatures gets to what it is configured to be as too hot, yeah that won't happen

Yep. Thats one of the main issues with these boards. They lack the OTP/OCP.

Just now, seon123 said:

That is correct. Because the VRMs are too dumb to do that

I meant the MOBO, the MOBO has the temperature level not the VRM.

17 minutes ago, Leonard said:

You are harping about having 8cores and watercooling for the 8 cores, why i have no idea because that is a very wise choice by OP.

I don't have a problem with 8 cores and water cooling. The problem I have is you are pairing this with a very cheap motherboard.

17 minutes ago, Leonard said:

No ASUS MOBO, once it passes the numerous tests set by the vendor, will fail because it has no dedicated VRM heatsink, what would happen is that the OC potential will be limited but not non-existent. 

On the prime Plus, which does have heatsinks, an OCed 8 core had the mosfets reaching over 115C.

This board doesn't have heatsinks. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have working temperature protection. It's gonna reach over 125c which is gonna make the caps suffer, without doubt. Within 1-1.5 years you'll probably have a dead mobo.

2 minutes ago, Leonard said:

I meant the MOBO, the MOBO has the temperature level not the VRM.

No, it doesn't. If you needed vrm temps you need a temp sensor on the vrms.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, dave_k said:

Yep. Thats one of the main issues with these boards. They lack the OTP/OCP.

The main issue with these the board i recommend is that they lack most of the extra things on more expensive MOBOs but ASUS MOBOs will shut down once the temperature of the MOBO goes too high, you may not know why because say it lacks any specific code read outs but the board will shut down. You as the OCer will have to realize the temperature is too high and lower your voltage or what ever else you have raised.

i have decided on the edited build from DocSwag due to the fact that it's Gud and room to upgrade in the future whilst staying under budget

thank you all very much for all the opinions and suggestions

i always learn so much when i create a form post

5 minutes ago, Leonard said:

The main issue with these the board i recommend is that they lack most of the extra things on more expensive MOBOs but ASUS MOBOs will shut down once the temperature of the MOBO goes too high, you may not know why because say it lacks any specific code read outs but the board will shut down. You as the OCer will have to realize the temperature is too high and lower your voltage or what ever else you have raised.

An average Joe wont have an idea what is going on (most likely even raise the voltage) and still, these mobos won't do anything.

Prime B350 Plus (same stuff as you recommended but with heatsinks) did happily work at 117°C, well over 105°C for the caps.

Strix B350-F did happily work at 123°C, well over 105°C.

3 minutes ago, dave_k said:

An average Joe wont have an idea and still, these mobos won't do anything.

Prime B350 Plus (same stuff as you recommende but with heatsinks) did happily work at 117°C, well over 105°C for the caps.

Strix B350-F did happily work at 123°C, well over 105°C.

So you are saying that the MOBO will not shut down if the temperature of the MOBO goes beyone what ASUS has registered as being safe for the board?...it will just keep running?

Even OP left his post.

So you are saying that the MOBO will not shut down if the temperature of the MOBO goes beyone what ASUS has registered as being safe for the board?...it will just keep running?

Even OP left his post.

i'm still here 

taking in all the knowledge 

Just now, Leonard said:

Even OP left his post.

It will keep running

Just now, lowredfred said:

i'm still here 

taking in all the knowledge 

Or okay, didn't see you name at the bottom.

1 minute ago, dave_k said:

It will keep running

Do you mind showing me where you got that from? cause here i saw that AMD and Intel boards blue screen if the temperatures gets too hot or the voltages are too high which would in turn make the temperature go up past what the board makers allow/recommend/specify.

38 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Do you mind showing me where you got that from? cause here i saw that AMD and Intel boards blue screen if the temperatures gets too hot or the voltages are too high which would in turn make the temperature go up past what the board makers allow/recommend/specify.

The higher-end boards do that.

Usually, the VRM should shut down at 105°C, buildzoid's Prime B350 Plus did run 117°C benchmarking, here is Strix B350-F at 120°C from OCN

900x900px-LL-546aa05b_629fa047-s.jpeg

2 hours ago, lowredfred said:

thank you i will look for an alternative PSU in my price range

Cooler Master V550 or SeaSonic G 650/EVGA GQ (these are on sale I think, only buy if they are below 70)

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.