The iPhone X's selfie camera is being criticized for being too good it makes people uncomfortable

captain_to_fire

Source: https://www.standard.co.uk/stayingin/tech-gaming/iphone-x-selfie-camera-criticised-for-being-too-good-a3686491.html

The upgrades to the front-facing camera mean the X takes sharper pics than any previous iPhone.

But it seems some users aren’t fans of the extra clarity when taking selfies. One Twitter user wrote that the new selfie camera “will ruin your day”, while another commented that it’s “way too unforgiving”.

One user joked that “you need a whole facial and moisturizing routine along with a spa day” to prepare for a photo. The iPhone X’s front-facing camera takes 7 megapixel photos, just like the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus, but they're also enhanced by the depth-sensing capabilities of the phone’s TrueDepth tech. TrueDepth allows for portrait mode on the selfie-camera, which places the subject in sharp focus and blurs out the background for SLR-style photos.

apple-iphonex-true-depth-camera.png

My initial thoughts is that "what the hell is wrong with people?" Are people simply just culture shocked or accustomed to crappy selfies? I'm leaning with the latter. Personally I'm not a fan of selfies not because I'm not comfortable on how I look, it's just that I'm not a fan of taking too many pictures of myself and for the most part I'm pretty much comfortable and confident with my own skin. In the few occasions that I take a selfie on my previous phones, I always use the rear facing camera because I know how awful the front facing cameras are but now everything seems to have changed because of the iPhone X with the additional depth sensor.

I'm guessing most of the people who felt uncomfortable because of the iPhone X's camera are the same people who take selfies everyday (I'm not a doctor but personally, I think those people who take too much selfies are either self-absorbed or narcissists) which isn't surprising and I think it enhanced the appearance of their large pores, acne breakouts like pus filled pimples or blackheads or dark circles in their eyes and other facial imperfections. And since most of the buyers of the iPhone are young people, I think parents should talk to their kids that their appearances do not determine their future.But then for a paltry 7 megapixel sensor, I think what Apple is doing is mostly software based sharpening together with the depth sensor that's why the selfies coming from it look very sharp and color accurate.

Maybe DxO Mark should review front facing cameras next time now that Apple has set an example on how to make a good selfie camera. And beauty spas and plastic surgery clinics can now make this their new marketing pitch. "35% discount on facials, microdermabrasion, botox and liposuction to make yourself pretty in an iPhone X camera".  xD

Edited by hey_yo_

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

LOL...my V30 only has a 5MP front cam, the one fatal weekness. At least I won't have to horrify myself.

2 minutes ago, L.Lawliet said:

Lol thats why they need to learn about post processing and not use some cheap ass beauty filters

Well Apple took out the need for filters by giving the iPhone X users are darn good selfie camera and all of a sudden many people are complaining that the iPhone X is accentuating and enhancing their facial imperfections probably large pores or oily skin or dark circles. Those people need a facial.

14 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

And since most of the buyers of the iPhone are young people, I think parents should talk to their kids that their appearances do not determine their future.

LOL people are buying this for their kids?

I see where they're coming from though, it almost looks oversharpened. They should have the option to remove software stuff like that, or maybe add filters into the native camera app

That's an F in the profile pic

3 minutes ago, L.Lawliet said:

Agreed but high resolution camera will take a better picture revealing their imperfection and whatnot..i often use a low res webcam to do a video chat/call while i dont have a lot of imperfection but at least it wont show my eye bags..cause my eye bag have an eye bag.

Thats help me a lot without having to put a make up on my face.

and thats why they need to learn about post processing to cover their imperfection cause no photos will be perfect without it or they can just do real treatment for their face.

I don't know why are people not complaining whenever a DSLR takes their pictures. A DSLR is not only better than a smartphone when it comes to bokeh, the higher megapixel count and a bigger sensor makes their facial imperfections more noticeable. Then all of a sudden an iPhone takes good selfies and it made people self conscious.

2 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

LOL people are buying this for their kids?

I see where they're coming from though, it almost looks oversharpened. They should have the option to remove software stuff like that, or maybe add filters into the native camera app

I think with some camera apps like VSCO or Photoshop express there's an option to reduce sharpness and even the photos app I think can reduce sharpness but there's no option for that in the default camera app. The exposure, shutter speed, white balance, etc is determined by Apple's custom algorithm and the image signal processor inside the A11 Bionic SoC.

Wait, aren't there similar complaints about TouchID on the 6s being "too good"???

Seriously people...

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Just now, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Wait, aren't there similar complaints about TouchID on the 6s being "too good"???

Seriously people...

Sometimes  I want to face palm on why many people are not happy when things are getting better. O.o

I honestly don't get the craze over beauty face.

Most of the effects I see just look horrifically plasticky.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

3 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

I don't know why are people not complaining whenever a DSLR takes their pictures. A DSLR is not only better than a smartphone when it comes to bokeh, the higher megapixel count and a bigger sensor makes their facial imperfections more noticeable.

True but then again, I'd venture a guess that with a picture taken by DSLR there is more work involved in the post-processing. You take a picture, upload it to your computer, open it in some kind of editing software and then it's ready. It's a normal camera, so there is a lot more thought and effort involved.

A selfie, on the other hand, is essentialy a fast food of photography. You take a selfie and 5 seconds later it's uploaded on your FB ;-)

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

1 minute ago, Lathlaer said:

A selfie, on the other hand, is essentialy a fast food of photography. You take a selfie and 5 seconds later it's uploaded on your FB ;-)

Most phone cameras are, really

I prefer shooting in RAW when I can though TBH, because there's something satisfying about uploading a gorgeous photo shot on a phone camera widely regarded to be crappy.

58 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

First world problems

i was about to come down and say the exact same thing but u beat me to itxD

4 minutes ago, Tedny said:

LOL. so, that is a problem? 

As it turns out just like people whining when Apple improved the touch id sensor in the iPhone 6s for being too fast. 

For those complaining about the iPhone X selfie camera being too good ...

I'd like to see them take some selfies with something like these, THEN tell us if they still think the iPhone is too good. :P

highres-Hasselblad-H6D-100c-3_1464086210.thumb.jpg.903886e43e61e50859754c3f499b43d5.jpg, & 1471453627000_IMG_675266.jpg.b28d9a40cbcb5e6b49c10a1af15813cc.jpg or 1471453627000_IMG_671503.jpg.d295f9472efc6eaf1681bbf87c28f1bf.jpg. xD

7 minutes ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

For those complaining about the iPhone X selfie camera being too good ...

I'd like to see them take some selfies with something like these, THEN tell us if they still think the iPhone is too good. :P

highres-Hasselblad-H6D-100c-3_1464086210.thumb.jpg.903886e43e61e50859754c3f499b43d5.jpg, & 1471453627000_IMG_675266.jpg.b28d9a40cbcb5e6b49c10a1af15813cc.jpg or 1471453627000_IMG_671503.jpg.d295f9472efc6eaf1681bbf87c28f1bf.jpg. xD

I challenge those people to have their selfies taken without make up by a DSLR with manual focus enabled and they can zoom in to their facial imperfections so good. 

Does apple camera app comes with controls for beauty mode? 

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

12 minutes ago, JuztBe said:

Does apple camera app comes with controls for beauty mode? 

Nope. Everything is determined by iOS algorithms and image signal processor of the A series SoC unless someone uses a third party app. 

AED315CF-7F76-4F26-A9B9-AB1C928E9AB8.png.9f0af13e45cfe9d2f674d749c0fb1a69.png

11 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

I challenge those people to have their selfies taken without make up by a DSLR with manual focus enabled and they can zoom in to their facial imperfections so good. 

Like, with this? xD

1000-Canon-EOS-5DS-R--10_1423133570.jpg.9cea7a350ec799a993863c80abf7d3a7.jpg & ca6528afu.jpg.673f2a31e74db7dcec42e091d35f0f5e.jpg 1266533223000_IMG_151597.jpg.07325cc27fb908a4245343aa32d2d88e.jpg

1 minute ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

Like, with this? xD

1000-Canon-EOS-5DS-R--10_1423133570.jpg.9cea7a350ec799a993863c80abf7d3a7.jpg & ca6528afu.jpg.673f2a31e74db7dcec42e091d35f0f5e.jpg 1266533223000_IMG_151597.jpg.07325cc27fb908a4245343aa32d2d88e.jpg

Then crop the picture focusing on the acne breakouts or dark circles in the eyes. 

The iPhone isn’t the first phone with a high megapixel front camera. Why are people complaining only now?

5 minutes ago, abazigal said:

The iPhone isn’t the first phone with a high megapixel front camera. Why are people complaining only now?

Because megapixels alone don’t determine photo quality. A lot of phones with high megapixel count outputs shitty photos especially in low light. That’s why smartphone OEMs including Apple shifted away from cramming high megapixel count to improving sensors, optics, image signal processors and software algorithms. Just look at what Google is doing with their Pixel 2 which uses machine learning to do bokeh. 

8 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Then crop the picture focusing on the acne breakouts or dark circles in the eyes. 

:D

Then store each selfie on a RAID array, consisting of several 48U racks filled with sc946ed_ad_pull-out_new_20150727.jpg.d13d826a5498c4e4a2657ca260de7bbd.jpg, each fully populated with seagate-60tb-ssd-640x490.jpg.5353792799626bc48466c14595441dbe.jpg. :P

Goo. Someone needed to drop people's ego. Now they can focus on more pressing issues

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>