The iPhone X scored 97 on DxO Mark calls it "the top performer for stills", just a point lower than the Google Pixel 2

Source: DxO Mark

Conclusion: Apple’s flagship smartphone delivers the goods

With all of the analyses completed, the scores calculated, and the results verified, the iPhone X turns in an excellent result, delivering outstanding images for smartphone photography enthusiasts. It’s exceptional for stills, achieving the best Photo sub-score yet at 101 points. The overall score is affected by a slightly lower result for video, but at 97 points, the iPhone X ties with the Huawei Mate 10 for the second-highest score in our database of overall mobile image quality. For portraits, the improved telephoto lens delivers sharp results even indoors, and the bokeh simulation produces a natural and pleasing background blur. Outdoors, exposures are outstanding, with great dynamic range, impressive skies, good fine detail, and punchy color rendering. Add to all that the extra features on the front-facing camera, including a Portrait mode for blurred-background selfies, and the iPhone X delivers one hell of a smartphone camera.

image.png.059dd3810551c204cd7bccd73943d660.png

Pros

• Very good exposure, with good shadow and highlight detail preservation in HDR scenes
  • Accurate color rendering and white balance in all lighting conditions
  • Good detail preservation and low levels of noise in most lighting conditions
  • Good detail preservation using zoom in all lighting conditions
  • Bokeh effect looks natural

Pros

• Accurate color rendering and white balance in most lighting conditions
  • Good exposure with fast convergence during lighting changes
  • Fast and accurate autofocus performance
  • Effective stabilization
  • Good detail preservation

Cons

• Autofocus is occasionally a little slow
  • Underexposed pictures with visible red-eye in flash-only shots
  • Ghosting artifacts noticeable on moving objects

Cons

• High-frequency oscillations during walking movements
  • Luminance noise visible in low light
  • Slight loss of sharpness during tracking in low light

A note about image formats for this review: The iPhones 8, 8 Plus and X record photographs in the DCI-P3 colorspace, which their displays also use. DCI-P3 is newer and larger than the sRGB color space that most devices use and most web browsers assume. So to ensure that the images we used in the review display properly on a wide variety of browsers and devices, we converted the originals from DCI-P3 to sRGB using Photoshop (which is why the published test photos show Photoshop as the creator). This can slightly reduce the richness of color in some cases from what you would see when viewing the original images on a DCI-P3-calibrated display with appropriate software. We also captured the original images using the new HEIF (High-Efficiency Image Format), but then converted them to very high-quality JPEGs for viewing in standard browsers and image editing software. (HEIF is very similar to JPEG, but provides better compression for similar image quality, so the conversion makes the sample image file sizes larger than they were when shot.) Please note, however, that unlike our test images, some of the comparison photos used in this review were shot in JPEG and used as-is for illustrative purposes, and were not used to compute scores.

But then again, would people suddenly switch platforms just because one phone is higher or lower by one point in DxO Mark? MKBHD made a video explaining the methodology used by DxO and how they rate cameras. For the most part, DxO ratings are very subjective regardless of the phone.

Personally, the Pixel 2 camera interests me more since they can do bokeh without the need for a second lens and they do this by machine learning which may creep some people. At the moment, here's the current DxO Mark ratings and surprisingly it still includes the Nokia 808 Pureview which runs on Symbian OS and not the Nokia Lumia 1020 which is a more usable phone.

IMG_5975.thumb.PNG.78638f8fa578778c3d4b96b347d82c73.PNG

ipX-IMG_1641.jpg

Chaillot_AppleiPhoneX_DxOMark_06-00.jpg

Cafet_AppleiPhoneX_DxOMark_06-00-1.jpg

The advantage of the hardware stabilized secondary camera on the iPhone X shows compared with the 8+.

ipX-2x-IMG_1648-e1509535728841-768x1024.jpg

iPhone X, 2x zoom

ip8Plus-2x-IMG_2143-e1509536080290-768x1024.jpg

iPhone 8+, 2x zoom

ipX-IMG_E1580.jpg

ipX-IMG_E1656.jpg

PharmacieDuTrapeze_AppleiPhoneX_DxOMark_06-00.jpg

AppleiPhoneX_DxOMark_1Lux_SME_H_HandHeld.jpg

Just to add the video capabilities of the iPhone X, it was compared with a Panasonic GH5 and for the most part, video recording with the iPhone X is sometimes more color accurate than the GH5.

But then, DxO Mark ratings should be taken with a grain of salt even though for the most part, their testing methodology is pretty much scientific. There's no doubt however that the iPhone X takes beautiful pictures and videos especially 4K 60 fps which not many cameras are capable right now. Personally, I'm still bummed that Apple took out Touch ID for the iPhone X.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

4 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

4K 60 fps which not many cameras are capable right now

well not many phones , heck one could argue the iphone x is also not really 4k. it's sill a very small sensor and a very small lens. so more like a sharp looking 1080 than actual 4k.

I do get the feeling though if anyone is this interested in photography they should use an actual camera over a cellphone. 

Wait until the Pixel Camera SoC is enabled, then we'll see. 

idk

I am by no means a mathematician, but if it scored a point LOWER than the Google Pixel2.. how can it be the TOP performer?

Oh it's only top performer for stills, okay xD 

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

10 minutes ago, emosun said:

well not many phones , heck one could argue the iphone x is also not really 4k. it's sill a very small sensor and a very small lens. so more like a sharp looking 1080 than actual 4k.

I do get the feeling though if anyone is this interested in photography they should use an actual camera over a cellphone. 

What is photography anyway? 

A91E7DD6-65C7-4A20-97A6-4CAACF4CF558.jpeg.f3ade9069ebdef1b4d0e3b86698e4ceb.jpeg

Basically anyone who takes a picture using a device with a sensor and optics is a photographer and that includes smartphones. 

Also, what do you mean “actual camera”? E4CEFFDC-B39D-4616-9412-6F17EF29AFC8.jpeg.c67f0053cd5bdfe9067c57bfe8aee37c.jpeg

From that definition, both a smartphone camera like the one in the iPhone X and something like a Panasonic GH5 are both cameras. Both have a shutter button, a backside illuminated CMOS sensor and a viewfinder. 

8 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

From that definition, both a smartphone camera like the one in the iPhone X and something like a Panasonic GH5 are both cameras. Both have a shutter button, a backside illuminated CMOS sensor and a viewfinder.

u ok? did I trigger you or something?

I'm saying if you want to get into photography get an actual camera and not a cellphone.

with a cellphone your money is being spent on non photography features. while a 1300$ camera will be a dedicated piece of hardware that can support better modes , more settings , better larger lenses , better sensors , ect....

don't get all triggered that a mechanic recomended a real set of tools over a pocket knife. jeez

Meh.

I'm pretty sure a lot of modern smartphones these days are capable of handling the core photography experience superbly well. Where some companies excel where others tend to not focus so much on is computational photography and IMO, Google is leading.

But that doesn't mean Apple doesn't have a formidable camera package. It does. Pretty sure this will be one of the top phone cameras of the year, especially in terms of consistency.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

1 minute ago, emosun said:

I'm saying if you want to get into photography get an actual camera and not a cellphone.

with a cellphone your money is being spent on non photography features. while a 1300$ camera will be a dedicated piece of hardware that can support better modes , more settings , better larger lenses , better sensors , ect....

don't get all triggered that a mechanic recomended a real set of tools over a pocket knife. jeez

I don’t think calling me a snowflake proves or disproves anything. If you’ve just noticed, I was correcting you based on “semantics” if you even know what it means. 

2 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

I don’t think calling me a snowflake proves or disproves anything.

where did i call you a snowflake?

I understood your dictionary quoted argument of "if it qualifies as a camera then it's a camera". It's a poor argument for a comment that had almost nothing to do with your response. Me saying "i recommend a real camera" , is just that. Me recommending a real camera and not a cellphone. 

6 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

I was correcting you based on “semantics” if you even know what it means. 

yes I understand quite well.

it essentially means you took offense to me recommending a better piece of hardware for the job. Then went to the weakest source for a rebuttal. The dictionary. 

hell , if i were you I would have said something more along the lines of "this is a good starter camera for those that want it integrated into a phone". I can't argue with that. 

17 minutes ago, emosun said:

When Apple labels a 50mm equivalent "tele lens".....

And the phone can shot 4K 60p. Soon all the major Hollywood studios will start using smartphones to shoot all the blockbusters.

Some people believe their smartphone cameras are so good. A real camera is no longer needed for photography. Let them be.

Just now, Deli said:

Soon all the major Hollywood studios will start using smartphones to shoot all the blockbusters.

lol i know

gee why do they need this huge panavision when Iphone is best?

Fury Road (19).jpg

btw

here's a good reason to get a real camera rather than a "hope the software works" cellphone camera.

he-embrace-windows-10-do-you-think-this-is-a-3982395.png

these DxO mark scores are becoming as useless as geekbench scores, sure at first it was a nice to see a number given to how good something is, but now it's just a pissing contest, and seeing as DxO changed their measuring procedure every device needs retesting otherwise the score doesn't matter.

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

It's ok. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

So basically if you don’t care about video, the iPhone X is the best. 

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

yeah but...

Spoiler

you can't see the picture as it was shot on the pixel

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

9 hours ago, emosun said:

lol i know

gee why do they need this huge panavision when Iphone is best?

Fury Road (19).jpg

Clearly that guy is compensating for a very small penis.  Same with this guy:

Cotton_Carrier_Camera_Carrying_Vest_Syst

9 hours ago, ashypanda said:

these DxO mark scores are becoming as useless as geekbench scores, sure at first it was a nice to see a number given to how good something is, but now it's just a pissing contest, and seeing as DxO changed their measuring procedure every device needs retesting otherwise the score doesn't matter.

I was thinking the same,  It's getting to the point where people are starting to argue over things like  Mhz on a part that works in Ghz.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

If you're comparing a camera that scores 70 and one that scores 95, it's probably pretty obvious which is better, but once it gets to the point where they're both scoring in the high 90s (well really this applies to two similarly scoring cameras at any grade, but I digress), you really have to ignore the overall score and check each individual category to see how it does for the things you care about most.  As we can see from this, there are some significant differences between the two when you dig into it.  Which is better for you may or may not be the one that scores 1 point higher overall.

That said if you're making your decision about iphone vs Pixel based on the camera alone you probably should reevaluate your priorities.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

What I think of every time I see camera reviews

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

11 hours ago, emosun said:

10 hours ago, Deli said:

And the phone can shot 4K 60p. Soon all the major Hollywood studios will start using smartphones to shoot all the blockbusters.

Some people believe their smartphone cameras are so good. A real camera is no longer needed for photography. Let them be.

In fairness, a camera that is ALWAYS on you is better than one that isn't. I have a D7000, but it's not always on me whereas my phone always is. So, while a cellphone camera can't compete with a high end camera, it does do a better job for a lot of people. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

12 hours ago, Deli said:

What the ability of 2160p60 video on the iPhone 8/X proves more than anything is that the hardware needed for encoding it is genuinely possible with a small footprint. So while it may not be great or even good 2160p60 video, it is 2160p60 video and that can mean a whole lot in a year or two, even for DSLRs. It's still markedly expensive to get a camera that can shoot at that for a variety of reasons but a cheap-enough encoder/decoder that could do it (at HEVC no less) opens a big door (the door to even 1080p60 on a DSLR is a bit more expensive than it needs to be).

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

2 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

That said if you're making your decision about iphone vs Pixel based on the camera alone you probably should reevaluate your priorities.

I don't think said person evaluated said priorities to begin with. 

How long until Apple just makes a camera/DSLR? 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Just now, ARikozuM said:

How long until Apple just makes a camera/DSLR? 

I highly doubt they would do that for a variety of reasons.  I might even go so far as to say I'd be more surprised to see a DSLR from them than a car

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.