Best Gaming CPU currently

Brama

I know Ryzen 1700 is the best performance/per dollar streaming/gaming  CPU at the moment.

But what is the best strictly gaming high end performance/per dollar CPU? Intel i7-8700k?

Yup, i7 8700k is best performance, i5 8600k is better price/performance

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

Just now, dave_k said:

8600K/8700K

I'd disagree with the 8700k. I'd say that the i3-8350k is probably comparable to last years i5s, thus are really good for gaming.

Gaming Desktop: ASRock Phantom Gaming X, R9-3900x, 64GB RAM, 1.5TB SSD

NAS Box: Gigabyte Z97, i5-4690, 32GB RAM, 22TB, 1TB SSD Cache.

4 minutes ago, Jaxder said:

I'd disagree with the 8700k. I'd say that the i3-8350k is probably comparable to last years i5s, thus are really good for gaming.

And i disagree with that more modern games will utilize more cores and then the i7 8700k will provide the best package. 4 cores have been the standard for a LOOOOOONNNG time. Intel didn`t need to push for more because they had no competition for 10 years because AMD well made shit processors. 6 Cores are now at the mainstream platform and if AMD strikes back next year with higher performance 8 cores, intel will push 8 cores probably soon. Some games today utilize more than 4 cores and more and more other software will also be optimized for more cores. 

7 minutes ago, Jaxder said:

The 8350K is a terrible decision, for gaming it may be worth it but price wise it's just dumb. It's an overclockable CPU but it cost more than the CPU itself to buy a motherboard that can overclock it. Just makes no sense. Plus with games coming out now and more older ones being more optimized for higher core counts the 4 cores just isn't going to be enough in the long run making the 8600K/8700K the best gaming chips out right now. 

Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB Cosair Vengenace LP 3600mhz, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra,  Sabrent Rocket 4 1TB NVME SSD, WD Blue SN570 NVME SSD, 4TB Mass storage, EVGA 750W G2, Corsair 270R

i5 8400 is the sweet spot, especially when cheaper motherboards come around

Primary: CPU Core i7-4790K  |  MOBO Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H   |  RAM 24GB Crucial DDR3-1600 CL9  |  GPU XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Edition  |  CPU Cooler Thermaltake Frio Silent 14  |  Case Cooler Master N400  |  PSU Corsair CXM 750 Watt |  Boot Drive 500GB Samsung 850 Evo  |  Storage 500GB WD Laptop HDD + 2TB Toshiba HDD + 250GB WD Laptop HDD + 250GB WD Laptop HDD + 4TB WD Blue HDD  |  Monitor Acer XG270HU  |  Secondary Monitor Nixeus VUE-24  |  Tertiary Monitor Sony SDM-HS53  |  OS Windows 10

Secondary: (down for maintenance) CPU Core 2 Quad Q9300  |  MOBO (Asus P5N-E arriving soon)  |  RAM 8GB DDR2-800  |  GPU Visiontek Radeon R9 270  | CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper T2  |  Case Rajintek Arcadia  |  PSU EVGA 500 BV  |  Boot Drive 240GB PNY SSD  |  Storage 120GB Seagate PATA HDD  |  Removable Drives Sony PATA DVD RW Drive + 3.5 inch Floppy Drive  |  Monitor HP S2031  |  OS Windows 10

1 minute ago, Ophidio said:

The 8350K is a terrible decision, for gaming it may be worth it but price wise it's just dumb. It's an overclockable CPU but it cost more than the CPU itself to buy a motherboard that can overclock it. Just makes no sense. Plus with games coming out now and more older ones being more optimized for higher core counts the 4 cores just isn't going to be enough in the long run making the 8600K/8700K the best gaming chips out right now. 

2 minutes ago, Klemmbrett said:

And i disagree with that more modern games will utilize more cores and then the i7 8700k will provide the best package. 4 cores have been the standard for a LOOOOOONNNG time. Intel didn`t need to push for more because they had no competition for 10 years because AMD well made shit processors. 6 Cores are now at the mainstream platform and if AMD strikes back next year with higher performance 8 cores, intel will push 8 cores probably soon. Some games today utilize more than 4 cores and more and more other software will also be optimized for more cores. 

Good points.

Just now, Vroooom said:

This guy I think is the most correct probs...

15 minutes ago, Vroooom said:

Nice price/performance ratio but capped at 4 GHZ if we talk best for gaming i would say no. 

Ryzen. Threadripper, to be specific.

"If you gon be bout it, be bout it bout it" ~ Gavin 'itsjusta6' Simon

I play games - Look at my profile for specs

I love memes. I make bad memes, but I like dank memes, who doesn't?

I am good at editing videos and pictures, feel free to message me if you would like some work done.

Thanks!

Kole Overby

Owner At:

Chaos Network

DanTheNali Videography

Employee At:

Neighborhood Mechanic

Heinen's Powersports

1 minute ago, Chaos Network said:

Ryzen. Threadripper, to be specific

I would say there best workstation CPU´s for video editors etc. For gaming there :| 

1 minute ago, Chaos Network said:

Ryzen. Threadripper, to be specific.

Um... no... He said "gaming CPU"... Threadripper is not a good gaming CPU by any metric. Empirically speaking, the 8700k is the best gaming CPU at the moment. You can debate other CPUs being a better price to performance (definitely doesn't include Threadripper).

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

1 minute ago, Klemmbrett said:

I would say there best workstation CPU´s for video editors etc. For gaming there :| 

Just now, pyrojoe34 said:

Um... no... He said "gaming CPU"... Threadripper is not a good gaming CPU by any metric. Empirically speaking, the 8700k is the best gaming CPU at the moment. You can debate other CPUs being a better price to performance (definitely doesn't include Threadripper).

I was memeing

"If you gon be bout it, be bout it bout it" ~ Gavin 'itsjusta6' Simon

I play games - Look at my profile for specs

I love memes. I make bad memes, but I like dank memes, who doesn't?

I am good at editing videos and pictures, feel free to message me if you would like some work done.

Thanks!

Kole Overby

Owner At:

Chaos Network

DanTheNali Videography

Employee At:

Neighborhood Mechanic

Heinen's Powersports

4 minutes ago, Klemmbrett said:

I wouldn't even say that. The i9 series is typically better for most workstation tasks (ignoring price). Threadripper offers great price to performance but Intel is still king when it comes to balancing IPC/core count, stability, and support for workstation use.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

8 minutes ago, Klemmbrett said:

Nice price/performance ratio but capped at 4 GHZ if we talk best for gaming i would say no. 

Do you realize how fast 4 GHz without overclocking is? That is right smack dab in the middle of the road for Intel's CPUs, and gaming companies are trying to make games more accessible to a wider crowd...so a 4 GHz 6 core processor is INCREDIBLE for gaming at the low-$200 USD range. Hell, you can even stream at 720 with that kind of power.

Just now, pyrojoe34 said:

I wouldn't even say that. The i9 series is typically better for most workstation tasks (ignoring price). Threadripper offers great price to performance but Intel is still king when it comes to balancing IPC, core count, stability, and support for workstation use.

OFC Intel is still ahead of AMD especially by IPC but also if you build a bad ass high end station the 16c/32t 1950x is awesome performance and offers you 64 PCI lanes if you want some high end setup with lot of PCI-E SSD´s 2 Graphics Cards you may run into some limitations even with 44 PCI-e lanes and this is there highest end CPU for 2 K € all other ones have less PCIe lanes.    

13 minutes ago, Jaxder said:

Do you realize how fast 4 GHz without overclocking is? That is right smack dab in the middle of the road for Intel's CPUs, and gaming companies are trying to make games more accessible to a wider crowd...so a 4 GHz 6 core processor is INCREDIBLE for gaming at the low-$200 USD range. Hell, you can even stream at 720 with that kind of power.

And paying a few bucks more for a 6 core 6 thread 8600K and a Z370 mobo or even a few more on a 8700K  will give you a 5+ GHz monster.  Even if the 8400 might be cheaper and better price to performance the OP asked:

1 hour ago, Brama said:

I know Ryzen 1700 is the best performance/per dollar streaming/gaming  CPU at the moment.

But what is the best strictly gaming high end performance/per dollar CPU? Intel i7-8700k?

And then 8600K and 8700K will win. 

Just now, Klemmbrett said:

OFC Intel is still ahead of AMD especially by IPC but also if you build a bad ass high end station the 16c/32t 1950x is awesome performance and offers you 64 PCI lanes if you want some high end setup with lot of PCI-E SSD´s 2 Graphics Cards you may run into some limitations even with 44 PCI-e lanes and this is there highest end CPU for 2 K € all other ones have less PCIe lanes.    

I agree, I would personally recommend people who are concerned with price, and know that none of their specific uses have AMD compatibility issues, get Threadripper over Intel for a workstation. But when the question is "what is the best", without considering price, Top-tier Intel will beat Top-tier AMD in pure performance across all current platforms. If I was building a purely gaming focused rig right now I would personally go with the 8700k, if I was building a workstation where I use a mix of multithreaded tasks (like Premiere) and singlethreaded tasks (like AE), I would likely go with a mid-tier i9 (8-10core), and if I was building a system that's mainly focused on multithreaded loads and 3+ GPU accelerated loads, I would probably go with Threadripper. For the best price to performance ratio I would usually recommend Ryzen 5 for a system that does a little of everything.

I just built up a system for my buddy who does mainly multitasking/productivity, with occasional light gaming for under $850 (R5-1600x, 16GB-3000, 500GB 850evo SSD, GTX980) which I think offers a fantastic price to performance. He threw in a mechanical keyboard and 3x 1080p 75hz monitors for another $480 and now he has a great setup at a fantastic price.

Primary PC-

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

Laptop-

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Vroooom said:

I agree with that.

8600k at 5GHz under something like a Hyper 212 Evo is going to be hard to beat for the price.

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

6 hours ago, Jaxder said:

he said BEST, not "good enough".

6 hours ago, Brama said:

the 8700k is the best you can get, but it is not even remotely close to being worth replacing a 7700k when looking at purely gaming, you won't see much if any difference at all.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

7 hours ago, Daniel644 said:

the 8700k is the best you can get, but it is not even remotely close to being worth replacing a 7700k when looking at purely gaming, you won't see much if any difference at all.

Also a 6600K or 6700K  are still very good and are not worth replacing at the moment when you look at gaming only. I will also stick with my 6600K still for some time until i upgrade.