Razer Blade Vs. Macbook Pro | Which should I buy?

Hey everyone,

I'm currently in the market for a new laptop and I'm having trouble deciding between these two machines I see pros and cons for each but I want to here what y'all think I should do. I'm considering in between the 15 inch macbook pro and the 4k razer blade. 

Here are the specs of the two I'm considering: 

15 inch Macbook Pro

Spoiler

Touch Bar and Touch ID
2.8GHz Processor 
256GB Storage

• 2.8GHz quad-core 7th-generation Intel Core i7 processor
  • Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz
  • 16GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 memory
  • 256GB SSD storage1
  • Radeon Pro 555 with 2GB memory
  • Four Thunderbolt 3 ports
  • Touch Bar and Touch ID

Razer Blade 

Spoiler

The New Razer Blade - 4K UHD - 512GB

• 4K UHD
  • 512GB 
  • Quad-Core 7th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ Processor with Hyper-Threading 2.8GHz / 3.8GHz (Base/Turbo)
  • NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 (6GB GDDR5 VRAM)
  • 16GB dual-channel onboard memory (DDR4, 2400MHz)

Macbook Pro

Pros:

1. I like macOS

2. I'm already in the apple ecosystem with my phone, and my air.

3. I love the way it looks and the touch bar.

4. I love how it has future proof ports. 

5. My school is mainly on Macs, so it works well with that.

6. Great support, I can just take it to my local apple store.

Cons:

1. Expensive for hardware

2. Lesser graphics

3. Not a variety of ports

4. Thermal Throttles

5. Not touch screen

6. Price

Razer Blade

Pros:

1. Better graphics

2. Touchscreen

3. Looks very nice

4. More than one type of port.

5. Runs windows which means greater program compatibility. 

6. Works with external graphics cards. 

7. RGB

Cons: 

1. Not as tightly integrated with my phone. 

2. Only one thunderbolt three port. 

3. Not as good of support

4. No imessage or any other apple service.

3 minutes ago, Buzzyr said:

Like.. I guess

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Do you want to game? Some other laptop, the blade throttles like crazy and has terrible quality control. 

Don't care too much about gaming and really like Mac OS? MBP

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

High Sierra adds in native eGPU capability with OS X.

Neither laptop are going to be cool when doing anything strenuous, but my MBP can game without being so hot it burns my legs, and it's the same as the one you're looking at. There have been reports of of the Blade (and moreso the Blade Stealth) thermal throttling.

I would look at the MBP or another high spec laptop.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

why dont u just get the razer laptop and make a hackbook ( macosx on a normal system xD )

then if u wanna game u dual boot the system with windows and hackintosh os

(◑‿◐)

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

Do you want to game? Some other laptop, the blade throttles like crazy and has terrible quality control. 

Don't care too much about gaming and really like Mac OS? MBP

I want to game a little, but the main thing for me is portability. My main uses for it will be development, system administration, school work, and video editing, gaming is last. I really want it to be light and portable as it will be in my backpack all day. 

1 minute ago, Buzzyr said:

I want to game a little, but the main thing for me is portability. My main uses for it will be development, system administration, school work, and video editing, gaming is last. I really want it to be light and portable as it will be in my backpack all day. 

Well, for video editing the Mac will be far faster if you can use Final Cut since it takes advantage of Intel Quicksync. The Mac will also have better battery life. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

3 minutes ago, Buzzyr said:

It sounds to me that the Mac would be the best Idea, as you can't develop xcode on Windows, yes you may use a VM but still not as good a native on a mac. Final Cut Pro, for video editing and your already within the apple ecosystem.

20 minutes ago, Buzzyr said:

. I like macOS

2. I'm already in the apple ecosystem with my phone, and my air.

3. I love the way it looks and the touch bar.

5. My school is mainly on Macs, so it works well with that.

6. Great support, I can just take it to my local apple store.

Imo that tells me you should get the Mac

Also technically with all those Thunderbolt/USB-C ports you can adapt out to any port, just not natively. 

Oh and the Razor will throttle too. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

22 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

High Sierra adds in native eGPU capability with OS X.

Neither laptop are going to be cool when doing anything strenuous, but my MBP can game without being so hot it burns my legs, and it's the same as the one you're looking at. There have been reports of of the Blade (and moreso the Blade Stealth) thermal throttling.

I would look at the MBP or another high spec laptop.

but the MPB throttles to oblivion too when the CPU is put under load for more than 5 or 6 seconds.

HP's new stuff with 8th gen U series CPUs looks good.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

but the MPB throttles to oblivion too when the CPU is put under load for more than 5 or 6 seconds.

Haven't been able to achieve that with mine yet. It's certainly not turbo boosting, and it's getting fairly hot, but no actual throttling yet.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Do NOT get a Razer Blade. The Quality Control is awful, you will get into countless issues, and their support is downright terrible. I've had to RMA my Blade twice for the same issue, that they still haven't managed to fix it. Currently waiting for a refund.

They, admitedely, look nice, but if you want a Windows laptop that is reliable, then it's no go

I think since you are already in the ecosystem, the MBP is going to be the way to go here. Also, since your school environment is dominated by Macs, then support from the school for their applications might be better.

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

Oh and the Razor will throttle too. 

In the Razer's defense, the Macbook Pro will most likely throttle as well.

3 minutes ago, chub7chub said:

I think since you are already in the ecosystem, the MBP is going to be the way to go here. Also, since your school environment is dominated by Macs, then support from the school for their applications might be better.

1 hour ago, JulesTKirk said:

Do NOT get a Razer Blade. The Quality Control is awful, you will get into countless issues, and their support is downright terrible. I've had to RMA my Blade twice for the same issue, that they still haven't managed to fix it. Currently waiting for a refund.

They, admitedely, look nice, but if you want a Windows laptop that is reliable, then it's no go

Hm, thanks for that info, I'm leaning towards the macbook pro. 

1 hour ago, RadiatingLight said:

HP's new stuff with 8th gen U series CPUs looks good.

Do you have any suggestions of HPs that would be a good fit?

2 hours ago, Encrypt said:

It sounds to me that the Mac would be the best Idea, as you can't develop xcode on Windows, yes you may use a VM but still not as good a native on a mac. Final Cut Pro, for video editing and your already within the apple ecosystem.

Yea, that is what I originally thought, I was just making sure that the razor isn't just so amazing I should get it. 

Just now, lilbman said:

In the Razer's defense, the Macbook Pro will most likely throttle as well.

Its no question, both of these laptops will throttle, it just matters which will throttle the least.

1 minute ago, Buzzyr said:

Do you have any suggestions of HPs that would be a good fit?

Nothing HP makes would come close tbh. 

That thermal throttle estimate was grossly exaggerated. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

For this class of laptop, both will throttle. Of the two, if you have need for a better gpu, go with the Razor. The Macbook only wants for a better gpu.

If price is the same, the Razor has far better specifications. If you could care less about the software side of things, the higher specs wins out.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

16 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

If you could care less about the software side of things, the higher specs wins out.

Software is significantly more important than the hardware. 

4 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Software is significantly more important than the hardware. 

When I pick out a device for myself, price/performance takes top precedence by a big margin(which, arguably is neither the Razor nor the Macbook). Though I am not everyone else.

My eyes see the past…

4 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

When I pick out a device for myself, price/performance takes top precedence by a big margin

Yeah but you are generally only look at Windows machines which all run the same software.  

When you compare a Mac and a PC you also have to compare software and imo macOS>>Windows 10. Its so much better intact that machines with extremely lackluster components can render video better than PCs with significantly better hardware with FinalCut. 

Raw Hardware is useless if you software can't take advantage of it. 

Also if you are going to be using the machine a lot you want good software which is where macOS significantly takes the cake again. He's already invested with Apple and has an iPhone. Thats almost reason enough to buy the Mac. 

Just living would be much easier with the Mac. Airdrop, Handoff, iCloud Photo Library, and iCloud integration. 

5 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Yeah but you are generally only look at Windows machines which all run the same software.  

When you compare a Mac and a PC you also have to compare software and imo macOS>>Windows 10. Its so much better intact that machines with extremely lackluster components can render video better than PCs with significantly better hardware with FinalCut. 

Also if you are going to be using the machine a lot you want good software which is where macOS significantly takes the cake again. 

Blender and the the occasional game are my demanding applications. Mac's advantages do not apply to me as a result. Actually, Linux stomps both Windows and Mac with Blender when rendering on CPU, though GPU render is faster still.

My eyes see the past…

Just now, Zodiark1593 said:

Linux stomps both Windows and Mac with Blender when rendering on CPU. 

(too bad its not good for much else) 

At least not anything a consumer wants to do. 

30 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Also if you are going to be using the machine a lot you want good software which is where macOS significantly takes the cake again. He's already invested with Apple and has an iPhone. Thats almost reason enough to buy the Mac. 

Just living would be much easier with the Mac. Airdrop, Handoff, iCloud Photo Library, and iCloud integration. 

Not to mention I currently use a mac :P . 

8 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

At least not anything a consumer wants to do. 

as in video production is what an average consumer does too right.

also wonder why macs are garbage at games on macos...hmmmm. is it because macos software are shit for any games that are supported. 

you just pick what you need to do with ur computer.

for the OP, probably the macbook, but your statements are highly bias and just wrong more often than not. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p