why do people use pc part picker?

emosun

The selection sucks and the prices aren't always correct..... simple as that.

Yet people build their whole machine using this website as a guide. heck , I've even seen people just give a proper part list , then someone in response is upset that they didn't make it a pc part picker list.... really? I equate this site to the "canyourunit?" site. It's frustrating to see people build a machine around the idea that the cheapest 1tb hdd they can find on the site is 60$.... then when they run out of budget they assume that it's the best they could do for the money , even though I don't know anyone that would pay 60$ for only 1tb of drive space regardless of the rpm or if it's new.

it's misinformation. if a part is listed at the wrong price it'll really screw up how the system is weighted. I'm seeing to many builds that have a very high cost , but aren't very fast.

1 minute ago, Max_Settings said:

What are you talking about? The prices are spot on and they have virtually everything on there.

they don't have all the parts, and they fuck up prices rather often with some countries/stores.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

What parts, other than small custom watercooling bits or accessories or strange chinese GPUs, are not on there?

And the prices are taken live from the websites it crawls, so they should always be correct.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

PCPartPicker is generally correct on pricing, and it does pretty good on compatibility issues (At least in my case). It allows you to build a nice system without having to hassle to check several different websites to find a part for the cheapest price. 

Tech enthusiast and CS Student

The prices are directly from the websites, like Amazon, Newegg, Outlet PC, etc etc.

They have majority of PC parts with the exception of the first PC parts. It's got a decent wattage calculator (Not accurate, but gives a very rough estimate) and it's simply a guide. A visual list of parts, prices that shift, MIRs, is very helpful, not to mention the community is very helpful.

See wrong prices? Tell them. They'll fix it. See missing parts? Tell them, give them the manufacturer and retailer links, and they'll add it in.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AX1600i owner. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_GMev0EwK37J3zZL98zIqF-OSBuHlFEHmrc_SPuYsjs/edit?usp=sharing My WIP Power Supply Guide.

Also if you are looking for the absolute best deals on parts PCPicker may not have some discounted prices if the sales are short, using a site like SlickDeals for deals is good when you are building as well.  I use PCPer as more of a guide when purchasing getting rough price costs than look up parts individually for sales.  But in general their prices have been spot on.

PC partpicker doesnt have the intel i386 

or my bootleg korean motherboards

I personalty use a pen and paper 

more accurate 

Best of myself(1000th post)

Vista

Core i5-8400

8GB DDR4

GTX 1050ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD
MSI H310M PRO-VD

EVGA 450BT

Cooler Master masterbox lite 3.1

Arctic Cat

Core 2 quad q8200

8GB DDR2 ECC

GTX 550ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD

Dell precision t3400 motherboard

You must not be American because it's fantastic here. The other countries suck though because nobody populates the lists with products.

if you dont use PCpcartpicker i dont help ypu,

its just super easy to have a list all in one place you can share, and you can add your own price too and you cna change the store. 

if your looking for part prices and your using PPP then you are doing something wrong, use the site youll buy from and just use PPP to show the list.

if your looking from random ass cant buy from big box retailer parts then yeah you probably wont find them.

i have made easily over 40 rigs on it and ive punchers and built 8 and none were messed up prices or anything

aand I have NEVER used PPP to look for parts, i look for the paartsd using REAL sellers websites like amazon aand newegg and ebay. then you aadd them to PPP to show other people and aask questions. 

maaybe you are just using it for what you shouldnt be?

If you want to argue with me, and you probably will please PM me, no need to ruin threads becase you dont like how I am.

Ask me how I made 100k selling illegal narcotics!

Spoiler

and you think im joking, Did a lot of wrong to get my money right.

I look up to Larry Hoover.

Your homies loyal 'til the one time you tell 'em no

Never had a issue with pricing. 60 USD is the average price for a 1tb seagate/wd drive

3 minutes ago, emosun said:

read title , ignore post text , type disagreement

forgot that's how this place is. 

Or maybe it's because you're wrong, and you don't see it ?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

No, can't possibly be that.

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

the first response was only 60 seconds after i posted

you telling me he read it , thought about it , then typed his response within 60 seconds and didn't skim it at all? yeah , no

19 minutes ago, emosun said:

The selection sucks and the prices aren't always correct..... simple as that.

Nope. It has a very massive selection of parts. If a part is missing, then tell them. The prices are directly from the seller. PCPP doesn't make the prices on their own. It takes all the price data from affiliated websites. Blame the websites, not PCPP itself.

20 minutes ago, emosun said:

It's frustrating to see people build a machine around the idea that the cheapest 1tb hdd they can find on the site is 60$

That's wrong. The cheapest is 43$ (at least in USD). Again, depends on the website.

22 minutes ago, emosun said:

. I'm seeing to many builds that have a very high cost , but aren't very fast.

You're looking at the wrong builds.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AX1600i owner. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_GMev0EwK37J3zZL98zIqF-OSBuHlFEHmrc_SPuYsjs/edit?usp=sharing My WIP Power Supply Guide.

3 minutes ago, emosun said:

the first response was only 60 seconds after i posted

you telling me he read it , thought about it , then typed his response within 60 seconds and didn't skim it at all? yeah , no

It's only like 4 sentences...

That takes 15 seconds to read and think about.

Spoiler

The cost/quantity/avaliability of parts/price are all dependent on where you live. Pricing is also determined upon where you live. Comparing prices to different countries are always going to be different and not accurate and the availability of parts is also determined upon this as well. I find pc part picker very useful, it allows you to configure your own system and it also has very useful features such as an estimated wattage meter and parts compatability.

What on Earth are you taking about... And yes I did read your wall of text... Gosh people like you annoying me.

24 minutes ago, CmzPlusHardware said:

PCPartPicker is generally correct on pricing, and it does pretty good on compatibility issues (At least in my case). It allows you to build a nice system without having to hassle to check several different websites to find a part for the cheapest price. 

who needs the compatibility checks it gives? except the biggest of PC newby. i don't think it's really usefull especially since buying from a single merchant will generally be cheaper because the shipping get's grouped.... for a whole build at least. and yet people go to newegg then amazon because the website told them that's where the price was better when the difference is literally a single dollar that you end up losing in 5$ shipping. fuck that

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

2 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

who needs the compatibility checks it gives? except the biggest of PC newby. i don't think it's really usefull especially since buying from a single merchant will generally be cheaper because the shipping get's grouped.... for a whole build at least. and yet people go to newegg then amazon because the website told them that's where the price was better when the difference is literally a single dollar that you end up losing in 5$ shipping. fuck that

I didn't even consider that aspect as well , wow that sucks

3 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

Unless you get free shipping.

There's also a lot of newbies. So, it helps them, but doesn't really help those that know PC hardware.

1 minute ago, QuantumElement said:

sounds like a pc part picker thing , select parts based on if the shipping is free. End up with a celeron and a geforce 6200 for 1500$ , but hey the shipping was free.....

2 minutes ago, QuantumElement said:

There's also a lot of newbies. So, it helps them, but doesn't really help those that know PC hardware.

Even experts make mistakes. Certainly, having an extra check doesn't hurt anyone.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.