I, for the first time, bought something i seen in an ad online; Ads seem to be getting like, really good.

garthvater111

Tdlr i want to know if you have bought anything you have seen in an ad that was served to you and had been very specifically catered to you. this does not include sponsored stuff like say an acer monitor because thats what is being used at worlds for lol. i mean like, an ad on a website, say on a youtube video the add on the side or something.

From what i have been seeing as someone who does not use ad block, i have been getting allot of ads that are extreamly relivent to me. and not just the amazon style "ohh, you looked up 3 foot dildo as a joke to link to a friend, he are some more sex toys for you to buy." no, its been like very specific to the point, for the first time, i actually purchased something from an ad. basically ive been hunting for a new hoodie as ive only got old ones from like, middle school that are super worn out and need replaced. however i really hadnt found anything i liked. im also fairly into space videos, however only watch 2 different youtubers that post so seldom its less than once a month i get to watch one of either of their videos. mostly i watch like, webm compilations and shit post garbage as i no longer find much else entertaining. However on one of these videos i received an ad from ad choices (i believe) that recommended me a a really cool galaxy hoodie that i really liked to the point where not even 5 seconds after seeing it i clicked on it to take a better look (something i never do, and was also the first time ive done that). the website it had linked i had never heard of so after looking at the hoodie i browsed the website for other hoodies however the one linked in the ad was the one i ended up liking the best. The ad also linked the hoodie with the 2xl size selected, which is what i take. i ended up ordering the hoodie, but it got me thinking how spot on the ad catered to my taste. i mean not only did it give me a hoodie that i had been looking for but it gave me a hoodie at a price i could afford that suited me very well and that i liked so much i clicked on an ad (somthign i again never do) and ended up actually buying. i mean ive seen specific ads before to stuff i have looked at, however nothing this deep and this specific. and i am very inclined to believe it gave me this specific hoodie intentionally as it also got the size right, and 2xl isnt really a well, very common size to have come up automatically selected.

and this is the hoodie i purchased. https://www.gamiss.com/hoodies-11571/product855880/

well i mean, it's a multi million dollar business they got to have stuff right at least a couple times haha

Just now, Howitz said:

well i mean, it's a multi million dollar business they got to have stuff right at least a couple times haha

very true, however because it was so specific, i kinda think there is more too it than luck

Unlike most people, I actually leave "user specific advertising" settings on, so the ads I get are actually related to the stuff that interests me.

Same amount of ads, but they are more interesting and relevant, so I see what's on sale sometimes, or I see something I missed in a search.

So yeah, pretty often I buy stuff that I saw advertised.

Most common though, is that I decide I'm going to buy something, and after looking at the web page several times I start getting ads for that product that I was going to buy anyway (or had already bought). So I end up spending my money regardless of the ad being there.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

9 minutes ago, garthvater111 said:

very true, however because it was so specific, i kinda think there is more too it than luck

of course there is more, they basically gather everything they can about you and send you a shitload of stuff back, even if 0.1% of the ads you see are worth your time, with the mass of people out there it's worth it for them.

but you can be sure the percentage is higher than that.

I double with @CUDA_Cores .I look for what an ad is selling and see if I can find one cheaper elsewhere.

I'm the type of person to hunt for deals because it adds up over time.

However; under the very rare occasion that there are no other products that work, I use a sort of decision matrix to find, "do I really need 50 yards of bumwad (sketching paper)"?

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

Ther have been "interesting" stuff. But nothing I would just go and buy. I'm quite careful spender and rarely make quick buys.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

10 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Ther have been "interesting" stuff. But nothing I would just go and buy. I'm quite careful spender and rarely make quick buys.

i dont make quick buys either, but i had been looking for a hoodie for over a month now and that was literally the first one i liked, which really adds to my point that the algorithm thats serving the adds is getting very good. i mean other than that i cant recall seeing any other add that i even looked at.

Yes Yes, Let the analytics flow through you to determine your decision & Your future.

4f1.jpg

Details separate people.

21 hours ago, garthvater111 said:

"ohh, you looked up 3 foot dildo as a joke to link to a friend, he are some more sex toys for you to buy."

How much was the dildo and is it any good?  Asking for a friend.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

More Suited as a Status Update.

- Locked -

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER