Use for an old PS3

xenic

I have an old Playstation 3 laying around with a broken disc reader.

As I also have a working PS3 in my living room, this one is gathering dust.

Any ideas what to do with it? Fun projects?

Was thinking about maybe turning it into some sort of media streaming device or something like that.

But have no idea what the best approach would be.

You can run Li— no wait.. they killed that.

18 minutes ago, xenic said:

Try to repair the broken one with a replacement bluray drive.

As for the other one, you can of course use it as a bluray player. The PS3 also has some really good exclusives you can get used for cheap if you haven't played them yet. Uncharted, God of War, The Last of Us, Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls come to mind.

nand/nor flash, install cfw

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

PS3 is still one of the best media centres available imo.

It plays blu-ray/dvd, you can stream media to it or save it locally on the HDD, it supports pretty much any universal bluetooth remote, it has some neat software for photos and the music visualiser is nice, and the best thing of all: the XMB interface is f'ing gorgeous!

The only major drawback I can think of is that it can't do passthrough for cable TV, but I don't have that anyway.

2 minutes ago, Shepanator said:

PS3 is still one of the best media centres available imo.

It plays blu-ray/dvd, you can stream media to it or save it locally on the HDD, it supports pretty much any universal bluetooth remote, it has some neat software for photos and the music visualiser is nice, and the best thing of all: the XMB interface is f'ing gorgeous!

The only major drawback I can think of is that it can't do passthrough for cable TV, but I don't have that anyway.

It's a good media center but oddly enough I tried to use PLEX on the PS3 recently and it was very slow and unresponsive. Very unoptimized, it could be fixed with an update but I don't really see that coming.

1 minute ago, chilicheeseburger said:

It's a good media center but oddly enough I tried to use PLEX on the PS3 recently and it was very slow and unresponsive. Very unoptimized, it could be fixed with an update but I don't really see that coming.

Are you using your PS3 wired or wireless? Bear in mind that ps3 has 2005-era wifi technology which would be easily saturated with a blu-ray quality movie, and 2.4Ghz is prone to interference.

Don't fill it with cockroaches and sell it on ebay. People don't appreciate that. (saw a story on reddit about some poor guy who got a playstation full of cockroaches)

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

11 minutes ago, Shepanator said:

Are you using your PS3 wired or wireless? Bear in mind that ps3 has 2005-era wifi technology which would be easily saturated with a blu-ray quality movie, and 2.4Ghz is prone to interference.

Wired. It's plugged in to a switch along with all the other stuff around my TV and the switch is plugged directly into my router. Video playback wasn't really an issue either, the UI just felt incredibly sluggish.

strange, is that specifically when streaming video or what? My ps3 is mostly a netflix box and bluray player with a little music dlna streaming, and everything zips around just fine.

you could hack the ps3 to run the firmware that allows you to install linux. Then you can use it as a compute box as it can run openCL. Some ps3s can also unlock the locked core.

I also have a spare PS3 lying around. Im tempted to pick up some used cheap games like need for speed rivals. Otherwise, I dont know. Installing cfw required you to downgrade the software with an E3 nor flasher, and they're like $50. 

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

10 hours ago, chilicheeseburger said:

Try to repair the broken one with a replacement bluray drive.

As for the other one, you can of course use it as a bluray player. The PS3 also has some really good exclusives you can get used for cheap if you haven't played them yet. Uncharted, God of War, The Last of Us, Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls come to mind.

Not planning to repair the drive, as the cost of repair will be higher than the price of a second hand PS3. As for the 'working' one, I'll prob give it to my little brother.

9 hours ago, chilicheeseburger said:

Wired. It's plugged in to a switch along with all the other stuff around my TV and the switch is plugged directly into my router. Video playback wasn't really an issue either, the UI just felt incredibly sluggish.

But you made it work? Video playback to other devices on the network was possible?

8 hours ago, System Error Message said:

you could hack the ps3 to run the firmware that allows you to install linux. Then you can use it as a compute box as it can run openCL. Some ps3s can also unlock the locked core.

As of now, that's plan. Playing around with it and learning a thing or two. 

But it needs a use when i put Linux on it.

2 minutes ago, xenic said:

Not planning to repair the drive, as the cost of repair will be higher than the price of a second hand PS3. As for the 'working' one, I'll prob give it to my little brother.

But you made it work? Video playback to other devices on the network was possible?

As of now, that's plan. Playing around with it and learning a thing or two. 

But it needs a use when i put Linux on it.

various, openCL compute box, media server, generic PC, it can do anything a PC can on linux as long as you compile for the CPU (MIPS + IBM CELL)

Build a PC inside of it?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

My PS3 does just fine with DVD/Blu-Ray, Netflix and Hulu playback. I rarely use it for Plex (since I have the Mac Mini that runs my server hooked up to the same TV) but the I have it worked fine.

Personally I would probably fix it regardless of the cost because it would be interesting. replacing a spinning drive with an SSD and putting a new optical in would be fun.

17 hours ago, xenic said:

As I also have a working PS3 in my living room, this one is gathering dust.

Any ideas what to do with it? Fun projects?

Was thinking about maybe turning it into some sort of media streaming device or something like that.

But have no idea what the best approach would be.

Depending on the version of your ps3, for example if you have the original 60 gig or 80 gig fat version, its backwards compatible with ps2 games. That's why I still have my 5 ps3 systems. 

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

7 hours ago, xenic said:

Video playback was possible all the time. The only problem is the PLEX UI being slow on the PS3 while it works fine on everything else.