Stanford Researchers tried to create a "Gaydar Machine" using neural networks

AI and gender orientation  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Would you feel comfortable to have an AI analyze your face and determine your sexual orientation? (Poll is private)

• Yes
    • No

12 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

I can't imagine what this AI would make of me xD

As Li Shang in Mulan said,"Mister I'll make a man out of you." It's probably somewhere along those lines as to what the AI would say. xD

16 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

As a single, heterosexual male, I suppose it's expected that I'll be interested in/chasing after women.  However, I've never been one to conform to norms.

Those are mostly societal evolutionary baggage on what is expected from men and women. Men were expected to get married and work hard to support their kids whereas women were expected to get married, stay at home and take care of the family. But as societies evolve, what is expected from men and women change since there are men who stays at home and many women are also working 9-5 to help their husbands in the family finances given how ridiculous the high costs of living at the moment. But somehow, the mentality of men should be married around 25-30 is still a notion often said by baby boomers and Generation X people given that many of these people are young during the end of World War II and society expects them to reproduce to replace the dead ones from the war.

23 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Well, that could explain why I mistakenly get accused of being gay from time to time

I have a straight friend like that who has an incredibly smooth skin, never gets acne breakouts and and has naturally long lashes even if he's about to get married. People who don't know him thinks he's gay.:P

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

39 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

I have a straight friend like that who has an incredibly smooth skin, never gets acne breakouts and and has naturally long lashes even if he's about to get married. People who don't know him thinks he's gay.:P

Really wish this was me.

Too bad I'm a 6' flat Mexicanific part-white gay guy you'd never think was gay who's obsessed with some random shit.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

54 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Really wish this was me.

Too bad I'm a 6' flat Mexicanific part-white gay guy you'd never think was gay who's obsessed with some random shit.

How I wish I was 6'. :(

31 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

Caring about if someone is gay is gayer than naked dudes hugging tbh

I remember in the news about someone who is a staunch homophobic nut job who was caught on Grindr, a gay dating app. xD

• 2 weeks later...

Seriously this is very bad idea, does the term witch hunt mean anything to anyone? or seen the movie Minority Report?

As "good intentions" as the "inventors" here may have this tech would undoubtedly be used for means not intended. I used 'witch hunt' for good reason. Want to read a good dystopian novel, well I am pretty sure this will create the exact plot line behind the next real life one . . . [devil advocating]

For those that may think this can do good for helping those "in the closet" [just to borrow a phrase] I highly doubt this will work in their favor. This kind of tech will never imo be accurate enough to be considered accurate. Any person has to live their life in discovery of themselves. Nothing, nobody, no technology can tell you who/what/which manner that you are, Only and only you can determine that for yourself. These "gaydar" [by the way an extremely offensive name scheme] machines will not be able to this for anyone, especially those that consider themselves of that mindset.. are you absolutely certain you want to be confirmed by a machine? Its like me walking up to you and telling you're homosexual and that is considering whether I believe it or not just to either 1) make you feel better about yourself or 2) some other reason.

This [^above] is mostly just all speculation and open thoughts not necessarily my personal opinion on the matter.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

00GAYDAR1-superJumbo.jpg

I do not need fucking AI to say that that human sitting in chait is

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

its interesting

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

On 10/10/2017 at 11:04 AM, firelighter487 said:

i personally think this is a good thing. i'm gay, but i had to figure it out myself, and was in doubt for a long time. (years)

if they can build an algorithm that is 100% accurate, it could help a lot of people who are unsure of their sexuality.

...I'm sorry, but if you don't feel attracted to men more than women (or vice versa if you're a girl) enough to know the difference yourself, would you take a machine's word for it? Furthermore, this bases itself at least in part on your expression and hairstyle, which are most definitely not genetic traits - in short, the sample people's knowledge or belief of being gay affected the machine's ability to pick them out. I'd also like to point out that, in the random sample, homosexuals were probably the vast minority, as they are in the overall population, and the "composite faces" are unavoidably dependant on the sample - the people in that sample who happened to be gay had that "average" face, but there is nothing that suggests this is an inherent feature of homosexuals.

Dr. Kosinski and Mr. Wang began by copying, or “scraping,” photos from more than 75,000 online dating profiles of men and women in the United States. Those seeking same-sex partners were classified as gay; those seeking opposite-sex partners were assumed to be straight. 

The claim is especially egregious since those pictures where taken OFF OF DATING SITES, where people often pose to be attractive to their... group of interest.

On 10/10/2017 at 11:44 AM, Taf the Ghost said:

The facial side of things is a pattern recognition that humans do. You're about 70% likely to pick out a co-religionist as well. Humans "know their own" at a fairly sophisticated & instinctual level.

And this is cultural, not genetic. I strongly doubt people are genetically inclined to "look" Christian or what have you.

Regardless of genetic theories, I think this neural network system is bs. It just seems like some neural network researchers trying desperately to make the headlines with their research.

And just imagine if they came out saying this system could pick out, say, Jews... based on their picture on tinder. Because that's pretty much the implication here.

@hey_yo_ to answer the poll's question, I despise the idea of my pictures being scanned and farmed for data by strangers in all its forms. As everything of this sort, it's an invasion of privacy for the benefit of jaded bastards who consider you a number to serve insulting ads to. Even though by publishing the picture online (assuming it was you) you willingly give up at least some privacy, there is a limit, and I doubt most people would want amazon to know their sexual orientation before them.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Who necro’d this thread? 

51 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Who necro’d this thread? 

That would be @SansVarnic ... Want me to lock the thread and issue a warning? :P

Spoiler

We actually don't issue warning for a necro'd thread :D

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

29 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

That would be @SansVarnic ... Want me to lock the thread and issue a warning? :P

Hide contents

We actually don't issue warning for a necro'd thread :D

Nah. I don’t think a week old threads are considered as necro’d. ?

HOW HAS NOBODY POSTED THIS YET 

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

12 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

Seriously this is very bad idea, does the term witch hunt mean anything to anyone? or seen the movie Minority Report?

As "good intentions" as the "inventors" here may have this tech would undoubtedly be used for means not intended. I used 'witch hunt' for good reason. Want to read a good dystopian novel, well I am pretty sure this will create the exact plot line behind the next real life one . . . [devil advocating]

For those that may think this can do good for helping those "in the closet" [just to borrow a phrase] I highly doubt this will work in their favor. This kind of tech will never imo be accurate enough to be considered accurate. Any person has to live their life in discovery of themselves. Nothing, nobody, no technology can tell you who/what/which manner that you are, Only and only you can determine that for yourself. These "gaydar" [by the way an extremely offensive name scheme] machines will not be able to this for anyone, especially those that consider themselves of that mindset.. are you absolutely certain you want to be confirmed by a machine? Its like me walking up to you and telling you're homosexual and that is considering whether I believe it or not just to either 1) make you feel better about yourself or 2) some other reason.

This [^above] is mostly just all speculation and open thoughts not necessarily my personal opinion on the matter.

All advances in technology can be used by people to witch hunt or otherwise push a personal ideal.   Does this mean we should stop advancing technology or start educating people?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

9 minutes ago, mr moose said:

All advances in technology can be used by people to witch hunt or otherwise push a personal ideal.   Does this mean we should stop advancing technology or start educating people?

Yes of course but that wasn't really point though... 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

2 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

Yes of course but that wasn't really point though... 

It seemed like a good one after reading your post.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.