Fan Confusion

CapnCrunch92

So I'm trying to build my PC and I've made a thread (That's kind of broad but intentionally so...) but I'm finding myself more and more confused about case fans. So I know there are generally two types of fans, static and air flow, but how do I know what to put in my PC?

I'm still in the planning stages for the most part but obviously want positive pressure. Can anyone help me out?

I wouldnt even worry about fans. so may people over think this part in PC building. you dont need $20+ fans (unless you like them) to have a silent fully functional pc. static pressure fans are fans with wider blades that move less air, but they can move air through dense objects like radiators. high air flow moves air quicker, but they are not as good at moving air through dense objects.

i also wouldnt stress about positive pressure. dust will find its way in either way. just buy the fans you like if you have no radiators or restrictive areas in your case like drive bays go with whatever looks best/sounds best/price. 

blackshades on

Air flow is mostly meant to move as much air as possible, while static air pressure are better at 'pushing' or 'pulling' air through through places.

For example heatsinks and radiators have static air pressure fans, to better push or pull the air through the heatsink or rad. They can also be useful as intake fans in cases where the HDD cage is in front of the intake fan and it's full of HDD's.

Basically:

If there is nothing in front of the fan: get airflow

If the fans has to work hard to pull/push through something: get static air pressure ones.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

3 minutes ago, CapnCrunch92 said:

So I'm trying to build my PC and I've made a thread (That's kind of broad but intentionally so...) but I'm finding myself more and more confused about case fans. So I know there are generally two types of fans, static and air flow, but how do I know what to put in my PC?

I'm still in the planning stages for the most part but obviously want positive pressure. Can anyone help me out?

In general static pressure fans are good for areas of restrictions such as rads heatsinks, fine fan filters, and such. I personally recommend to use static pressure fans for basically everything as airflow fan are best suited for freeflow with no restrictions at all. 

1 minute ago, Minibois said:

Air flow is mostly meant to move as much air as possible, while static air pressure are better at 'pushing' or 'pulling' air through through places.

For example heatsinks and radiators have static air pressure fans, to better push or pull the air through the heatsink or rad. They can also be useful as intake fans in cases where the HDD cage is in front of the intake fan and it's full of HDD's.

Basically:

If there is nothing in front of the fan: get airflow

If the fans has to work hard to pull/push through something: get static air pressure ones.

In my link to the thread I explained that I'm wanting to go for a Kraken x62 and using it as the intake in a s340 elite. Now while I understand both the case and radiator have stock fans included... I've heard that the stock fans in both kinda suck? I might be wrong but as I said in the other thread I'm still in the process of planning and piecing my build together. So I guess another question could be what brands do people recommend? since there are 800 different companies that make all different types of components.

1 minute ago, CapnCrunch92 said:

In my link to the thread I explained that I'm wanting to go for a Kraken x62 and using it as the intake in a s340 elite. Now while I understand both the case and radiator have stock fans included... I've heard that the stock fans in both kinda suck? I might be wrong but as I said in the other thread I'm still in the process of planning and piecing my build together. So I guess another question could be what brands do people recommend? since there are 800 different companies that make all different types of components.

As for static pressure fans, EK's Vardar fans are widely regarded as the best at the moment. For airflow fans, Noctua and Be Quiet are regarded as the best brands, but of course they produce a lot of products with varying effectivity.

What is better will depend on what you need. 3 pin or 4 pin? 120mm or 140mm?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Plan out the other system specs first. Fans are dependent on what you're cooling and where they're placed. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.