A white Dell XPS 13 without any USB A ports is coming

EunSoo
2 minutes ago, SCGazelle said:

That's exactly why I bought mine. Though I also like the overall design better than MacBooks.

Almost anything is better... shhh!                           /s

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I'm not a fan of the move but if its cheaper than the MS Surface or the Macbook Air sure. Something tells me it will not be though, or not by much.

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

Dell MacBookPro !

But without the price ...

And not quite as worthless.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

And not quite as worthless.

You can still run Windows andLinux on a Mac, so it's not 'worthless'.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

11 minutes ago, ionbasa said:

You can still run Windows andLinux on a Mac, so it's not 'worthless'.

sigh. I guess it is almost impossible to justify macOS to a lot of people. I'm not singling you out, I was showing my brother my XPS 13 with macOS installed and he asked why anyone would want to do that. And I thought he was the most basic person when it comes to technology.

14 minutes ago, SCGazelle said:

sigh. I guess it is almost impossible to justify macOS to a lot of people. I'm not singling you out, I was showing my brother my XPS 13 with macOS installed and he asked why anyone would want to do that. And I thought he was the most basic person when it comes to technology.

I've got nothing against MacOS (or any os for that matter). To me, it's no different than any *nix distribution out there, with a few exceptions,mostly the commercial support and polish of the UX. They all have their pros and cons. Having a Unix shell is extremely powerful if you know what you are doing. Not something I can say about Windows  (Powershell).

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

7 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Is it so thin that a USB type A would physically not fit?  If so, I can understand this but if not there's no excuse.  USB type A devices are still too common, and the way to get everyone to upgrade is offer the new ports in addition to existing ones so people don't feel bad buying new devices that use it, and over time everything will be refreshed.  The way not to do it is just kill ports everyone still uses.

I'm not completely against it as long as there's enough USB ports on it. I don't mind super gluing an adapter cable to my mouse.

If I wanted less compatibility with current devices and white, I'd get the real thing from Apple.

7 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I'm not completely against it as long as there's enough USB ports on it. I don't mind super gluing an adapter cable to my mouse.

This is pretty much what I do. I don't go as far as superglueing it, but I just leave an adapter connected to my mouse, keyboard, and DAC all the time so if I ever need to plug them in they're ready to go. Helps that my phone, tablet, Chromebook, desktop, and HTPC all have USB-C now so I can use them wherever. I hope it becomes standard soon, I hate how pretty much every single budget and midrange device is still type-A exclusive.

6 hours ago, Mooshi said:

If I wanted less compatibility with current devices and white, I'd get the real thing from Apple.

Apple has silver and space grey. No white.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

stuff needs to start shipping as USB-C with C to A adapters in the box, before that a type A port or two needed IMO

*edit*

the laptop looks amazing though, definatly a big fan of the look

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

10 hours ago, SCGazelle said:

sigh. I guess it is almost impossible to justify macOS to a lot of people.

For me, it's about lack of customization options.  MacOS is just too restrictive for my tastes.  I could run Linux, which allows for far greater customization than Windows, but then I'd lose the ability to play many of my games (or at least the ability to run them easily, without messing around with emulation).

Then again, why do you feel the need to justify MacOS to anyone?  Either it suits their needs or it doesn't.

Wish that all new devices laptops and such come with more Type C ports to push them to become widespread faster. 

Kb and mice would be great to with it, with dongle for start and mobos with all Type C and like few older for support and maybe 1 Type C USB for free just again to make it more widespread. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

18 hours ago, SCGazelle said:

source: Techradar http://www.techradar.com/news/the-next-dell-xps-13-gets-teased-way-ahead-of-ces-2018

Verge: https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/10/6/16434992/dell-xps-13-model-ces-2018-ultrabook

A81609D7-9E5D-4881-9699-B9AAECB5E613.jpeg.70450f5eae1151646ddb21e2486e68d4.jpeg

This laptop is visually similar to the older versions, obviously except for the white make over. But if you look at the side of the laptop (no photos unfortunately), there has been a complete redo

- Techradar

I think it will be kensington, 2 usb C on the left side and a usb c and microSD on the right. I've always wanted another USB C, at least 2, on my current XPS so that I can have my phone charging off it and have dongles out the other but the replacement of a fullsize SD to microSD is kinda too much. Also the glass under the screen suggests that the XPS may finally get Windows Hello support. And the texture of the frame around the keyboard may be different due to a new material being used:

- Techradar

'soft and yet firm'.... whatever that means. I imagine that its going to feel almost identical to the existing carbon fiber top as I guess one could describe it in a similar way. Dell says that they ditched the carbon fibre for the white model because they weren't 'satisfied with just putting putting a coat of paint' on it. There may be more changes to this new model which Dell will announce at CES 2018 in January.

2C940FE9-0E46-40A8-8C60-1A249FC5C5F7.jpeg.926a1262d55d2d1f00a0afae2f05efae.jpeg

what do you think of a white xps? It's definitely not for me but depending on what the top of the lid looks like, it may be more visually appealing to many.

I think it looks a lot nicer than the current silver XPS laptops. But... It probably won't look that white again after Day 1 so unless you buy it to laminate and frame it on the wall I'd stay away from it, especially if you have OCD when it comes to dirty things lol.

Edit: notice they also moved the camera to the centre. Still on the bottom though. 

10 hours ago, Mooshi said:

For twice the price [for the base model]?

Ah we're back to having to wear gloves to run Facebook and outlook.