More info on the new Atari gaming system

NumLock21

I feel like 300$ might be a steep price for the machine but only time will tell if its worth the price tag.

4 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

shut_up_and_take_my_money-t2.jpg

will depend on if i can run steam in home streaming on it and if it comes with a good controller

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

19 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

will depend on if i can run steam in home streaming on it and if it comes with a good controller

If it's running Linux then Moonlight.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

5 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

remember a few years ago when Valve almost convinced the world that Linux could work as a console OS.

I must have been asleep for that. I only remember SteamOS and Steamboxes being the vaporware that came up too short, too late, that relatively few people had faith in over other consoles.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

3 hours ago, Drak3 said:

I must have been asleep for that. I only remember SteamOS and Steamboxes being the vaporware that came up too short, too late, that relatively few people had faith in over other consoles.

It did became all that but for what Linux gaming support was before SteamOS was announced it exponentially expanded it by orders of magnitude. It's just that it wasn't enough without the driver support and for the reason you allude to, Valve-time, they squandered a decent initial push (but again, decent by the pathetic state of Linux gaming back then)

-------

Current Rig

-------

Reality check. 

It's just a concept. There's no actual hardware, and atari hasn't even got the funds yet. They're hyping it up. 

Thing is, it takes a lot of money to sell a cutting edge console. Money that Microsoft, sony and Nintendo might have, but not atari. 

They might be able to make a cheap arm box or the like. 

This is just an idea of what could be. Fact is, they have no capital, no funding and no hardware, and it's going to be crowdfunded. They're making promises they can't keep. 

I'll be convinced when i see it in front of me, but for now it looks like the ouya all over again. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

19 hours ago, JAKEBAB said:

under $300? Are they kidding? I can get an Xbone S for $299 AUD. They completely lost me, would have bought in a heart beat at around $100- $150 with lower specs.

Yeah, but Microsoft can also afford to bleed money on every console they sell since they pick it up in licensing fees, accessories, and games.

An ARM machine would be cheaper but would also cut down the functionality of the device incredibly. For example, no Steam In-Home streaming, or retro PC games.

The market of people who want a tiny box to just play Atari games on is a far more niche market than the people who want a small x86 Linux box. I'm not even an Atari fan and I'd love to get my hands on one of these if the processor is decent.

16 hours ago, Terryv said:

Since it's open source I wonder if they'll make the OS available for download (or at least the software components needed to buy and download their games) I'd make my own custom Atari box.

GPL requires them to release their kernel, so between that and the ability to just rip their app from it by the guts, it shouldn't be too hard to run it with whatever distro you want.

8 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

Since it's x86 Linux, you can get Steam running, and therefore In-Home streaming.

2 hours ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Reality check. 

It's just a concept. There's no actual hardware, and atari hasn't even got the funds yet. They're hyping it up. 

Thing is, it takes a lot of money to sell a cutting edge console. Money that Microsoft, sony and Nintendo might have, but not atari. 

They might be able to make a cheap arm box or the like. 

This is just an idea of what could be. Fact is, they have no capital, no funding and no hardware, and it's going to be crowdfunded. They're making promises they can't keep. 

I'll be convinced when i see it in front of me, but for now it looks like the ouya all over again. 

When did they say this is a cutting edge console? This likely has the same APU design as most other systems on the market.

Where do you get that they have no hardware and are crowdfunding the whole thing? They explicitly stated that the indiegogo campaign is just a pre-order drive.

What promises are they making? That it's a Linux machine running an emulator with old Atari games running on an AMD APU? How is that a particularly hard promise to keep?

3 hours ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Since it's x86 Linux, you can get Steam running, and therefore In-Home streaming.

then let us pray that the custom AMD chip they're talking about doesn't come with drivers issues when running Steam

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>