Good Reason To backup your data

Donut417

Manger today find a broken ass micro SD card. Come to find out it was one of my co workers. This thing was split in to two pieces. Hes like do you think I can get data off it? Im like NO. Im like did you not have this data saved on the cloud? He said, NO the cloud gets hacked.  Then hes all pissed and pissy for the rest of my shift. 

Lesson to be learned:  make sure you have the data in multiple places. Even I do this, I use One Drive and Google drive for important data. Im hoping that some time in the future I can have a better solution. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Just now, Donut417 said:

Manger today find a broken ass micro SD card. Come to find out it was one of my co workers. This thing was split in to two pieces. Hes like do you think I can get data off it? Im like NO. Im like did you not have this data saved on the cloud? He said, NO the cloud gets hacked.  Then hes all pissed and pissy for the rest of my shift. 

Lesson to be learned:  make sure you have the data in multiple places. Even I do this, I use One Drive and Google drive for important data. Im hoping that some time in the future I can have a better solution. 

Um...yes... thanks for sharing.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Just providing an example of why you should always backup your data. Because most people dont. They wine and cry that they lost their data. I see it all the time. Its what happen when my sister external hard drive stopped working. She was like, all my data if there. People take storage media for granted, believe it will last forever. 

13 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Just providing an example of why you should always backup your data. Because most people dont. They wine and cry that they lost their data. I see it all the time. Its what happen when my sister external hard drive stopped working. She was like, all my data if there. People take storage media for granted, believe it will last forever. 

First world problems. 

Magical Pineapples

25 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Think that is bad.  Deal with people that throw a fit when you switch out laptops on the network because all their files are on said laptop.  Our IT here keeps telling everyone to use our on site share drives on the huge darn storage SAN.  But, nope, they keep on putting on the local machine.  Then they cry bloody murder when laptop is switched out to new nice laptop or the laptop dies from all the darn dust out here.  You think they be happy with a new laptop that got a SSD in it.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

3 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

Think that is bad.  Deal with people that throw a fit when you switch out laptops on the network because all their files are on said laptop.  Our IT here keeps telling everyone to use our on site share drives on the huge darn storage SAN.  But, nope, they keep on putting on the local machine.  Then they cry bloody murder when laptop is switched out to new nice laptop or the laptop dies from all the darn dust out here.  You think they be happy with a new laptop that got a SSD in it.

My favorite one is when you need to reinstall Windows. You tell them your formatting the drive and you will be deleting everything. They say, "OK". But then after you get Windows reinstalled, all the files are gone. Then they wine that their files are gone. 

Oh and the messed up thing about my co worker. His SD card was not in a device, or in a case. It was just in his wallet. I was like :S. I mean it a little card, you can easily loose it. 

I don't really care for using off site backup solutions because theirs no guarantee you'll be able to access them 100% of the time.

Plus there's the privacy issues.

Also if you need to store more than simple documents you'll find yourself paying a fair amount of money regularly to keep your data backed up.

I agree with backing up data but something as simple as an extra hard drive can be a backup for all your precious data. Internet services like OneDrive and Google Cloud or Google Docs aren't your only options.

9 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

My favorite one is when you need to reinstall Windows. You tell them your formatting the drive and you will be deleting everything. They say, "OK". But then after you get Windows reinstalled, all the files are gone. Then they wine that their files are gone. 

Oh and the messed up thing about my co worker. His SD card was not in a device, or in a case. It was just in his wallet. I was like :S. I mean it a little card, you can easily loose it. 

Yeah, major reason I state to the user that if I have to re-image, all the files will go bye, bye.  I try my best to get an user to understand what the outcome will be.  Heck, I some times go out of my way to recover data.  I gone as far as having to do command line because the Windows OS GUI took a crap.  Want something real wacky, recovering files off a MS-DOS from 1994.  Me and other guy working to get the files off where like...why are they still using this machine (no joke, they still use a MS-DOS).

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

Just now, Windows7ge said:

I don't really care for using off site backup solutions because theirs no guarantee you'll be able to access them 100% of the time.

Plus there's the privacy issues.

Also if you need to store more than simple documents you'll find yourself paying a fair amount of money regularly to keep your data backed up.

I agree with backing up data but something as simple as an extra hard drive can be a backup for all your precious data. Internet services like OneDrive and Google Cloud or Google Docs aren't your only options.

I agree, cloud storage gets pretty expensive once you go past a terabyte, which isn't much these days. Plus, I don't have anything to hide, but I don't like the idea of a company being able to see all my data any time they want, and encrypting it is a hassle. You're better off buying a couple external hard drives and keeping 3 copies of all your data yourself. However, you still need an offsite backup. For offsite, I just keep a hard drive at a family member's house, so I'm all set in backups.

My main computer:

i7 6700k || GTX 1070 || Asus Z170 RGB || C.M. Hyper 212 EVO || 16GB RAM || 256GB NVMe SSD || 500GB SATA SSD || 12TB total HDD || Define R5 Blackout || 850W PSU

More Details Below :) 

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k                             GPU:  EVGA GTX 1070 FTW                                  |  Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Aura
CPU Cooler: C.M. Hyper 212 EVO             RAM: 16GB Kingston Fury 4x4 DDR4 2400MHz         SSD:  Intel 256GB NVMe SSD & Plextor 500GB SATA SSD

Hard Drive:  WD 2TB Black, 2TB WD Blue, 8TB WD Red     Case:  Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition   PSU:  Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W

Additional Computer Parts: NZXT Hue for LEDs

Peripherals: Dell U2414H (x2) || Corsair Sabre RGB || Corsair K95 Platinum || Sennheiser 558's || Modmic

Pictures of setup:

5 minutes ago, njmyers3 said:

I agree, cloud storage gets pretty expensive once you go past a terabyte, which isn't much these days. Plus, I don't have anything to hide, but I don't like the idea of a company being able to see all my data any time they want, and encrypting it is a hassle. You're better off buying a couple external hard drives and keeping 3 copies of all your data yourself. However, you still need an offsite backup. For offsite, I just keep a hard drive at a family member's house, so I'm all set in backups.

I have my non-boot RAID0 6TB partition for quick access then I have my FreeNAS server which I use for regular backup and SSH/SFTP for remote access of my data. I have a second array on the server which I use for periodic backups of the primary array so 3 copies of all my data exists but none are offsite. I have no offsite location to put it all.