Define S Fans and radiator placement

gbergeron

Hi guys,

Recently bought a Define S. Going to use a h100i v2 with it.

I am wondering if it's better to put the rad on front, or on top of the case ? Consider noise since I prefer silent PC.

Also, what about the 140 mm fans that comes with it ? ( intake and exhaust ) Are they silent enough ? I have some extra fans at home : Silent Wings 3 120mm  and Hyperborea 120 mm

Should I swap them ?

Any tips ?

The h100i fans are the noctua 2000 pwm ippc versions

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

Fractal Design excels at quiet cases, I wouldn't worry about noise too much. :)

The H100i will fit in the front, although I've heard it's better to place a radiator on the top of a case(perhaps someone else can confirm/correct me).

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

Fractal Design excels at quiet cases, I wouldn't worry about noise too much. :)

The H100i will fit in the front, although I've heard it's better to place a radiator on the top of a case(perhaps someone else can confirm/correct me).

I am thinking, on top, I have to remove the top panels, which might create more noise ?

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

Just now, gbergeron said:

I am thinking, on top, I have to remove the top panels, which might create more noise ?

I would guess it wouldn't give a lot of noise, Noctua fans are notorious for being ugly shades of brown and quiet(but mostly ugly shades of brown)

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

I would guess it wouldn't give a lot of noise, Noctua fans are notorious for being ugly shades of brown and quiet(but mostly ugly shades of brown)

I bought the ippc 2000 rpm black ones :P 

Just now, gbergeron said:

I bought the ippc 2000 rpm black ones :P 

oh nice! I didn't know they came in other colors(except for the LTT Edition ones released a while ago haha)

People will argue endlessly on which placement is better. I went with mounting mine on top. The main reason is I wanted my two front intake fans to provide unobstructed air flow into the case.

Best Excuses:

#1(simple) "Well, I never liked that stupid thing anyway!"

#2(complex) "Obviously there was a flaw in the material, probably due to the inadvertent introduction of contaminants during the manufacturing process."

Just now, MadModder said:

People will argue endlessly on which placement is better. I went with mounting mine on top. The main reason is I wanted my two front intake fans to provide unobstructed air flow into the case.

is it more noisy ? 

Not in my situation. But I have a different case, and I would be running the same number of fans regardless of where I put the radiator.  I run all of my fans at 100% during the summer, because it's hot as hell in my apartment. I have a fan profile set up for the winter months that is gradual, depending on temps.

However, I wear headphones most of the time, so I'm not as concerned with noise as much as some folks are. Plus I was a Harley mechanic for about 10yrs, so my definition of noisy may be a bit different, lol.

Best Excuses:

#1(simple) "Well, I never liked that stupid thing anyway!"

#2(complex) "Obviously there was a flaw in the material, probably due to the inadvertent introduction of contaminants during the manufacturing process."

1 hour ago, gbergeron said:

I seen where people modify the top panels where they cut enough of the panels to allow air for the radiator.

Since those are pwm fans, you can adjust the speed off the motherboard's BIOS.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU