Leaked Review of i7-8700K.

8 hours ago, zberry7 said:

I’m using a 980Ti hybrid right now and it’s still working great, never seen temps hit 60 either :), my 7700k tho can easily hit low 70s on heavier loads (even gaming) and low 80s in synthetics lol. With a h110i V2 240mm cooler (w/ fairly aggressive fan curve)

Think I’m gonna order a delidding tool soon, because once I get my 1080Ti I plan on doing a custom loop, it’s crazy how bad this thermal paste intel uses is. I saw a review that showed the 7980XE going into basically thermal runaway at stock settings lol. Crazy how you HAVE to delid the XE and basically every other intel chip if you want decent thermals.

Sounds like a nice setup tbh, BUT I'd hang onto the 980Ti if it's still doing a good job for you. Volta isn't too far away and it's gonna be good, with proper DX12 support :)

10 hours ago, MageTank said:

I have a 1080 Ti hybrid as well (EVGA FTW3 version) inside of a Mastercase Pro5. GPU does not exceed 45C under any load (including superposition)

Very nice. I can get my MSI Seahawk to hit similar temps but tbh I prefer to run it as quietly as possible, don't mind a little more heat. Still in the realm of reasonable :)

Also my 7700k can run at 5Ghz@1.24v, but with XMP on it needs 1.34v!!! Like you say, it tightens up a *lot* of settings and runs that touch faster so I don't mind so much B|

12 minutes ago, JediFragger said:

Sounds like a nice setup tbh, BUT I'd hang onto the 980Ti if it's still doing a good job for you. Volta isn't too far away and it's gonna be good, with proper DX12 support :)

Honestly, I don't even game very much, maybe an hour a day, I'm just an enthusiast :P I probably should wait though.. (I just bought a 7700k a couple weeks ago)

2 hours ago, JediFragger said:

Very nice. I can get my MSI Seahawk to hit similar temps but tbh I prefer to run it as quietly as possible, don't mind a little more heat. Still in the realm of reasonable :)

Also my 7700k can run at 5Ghz@1.24v, but with XMP on it needs 1.34v!!! Like you say, it tightens up a *lot* of settings and runs that touch faster so I don't mind so much B|

Yeah, I am not a noise junkie at all, I use headsets and play my music loud, so I let every fan in my system run at full speed. I also run push/pull fans on all my rads, including the 120mm GPU rad. I also use a custom voltage curve. My 1080 Ti, I have it "underclocked" to 2000mhz, and the voltage running a custom curve to undervolt it slightly lower than the 1093 it would run at by default when overclocked. I must say, I didn't expect much from a 120mm AIO, but it handles this 1080 Ti quite well.

As for the 7700k voltage, a lot of people forget that cache and core are tied together on Skylake and above. Your memory controller is part of the uncore, and overclocking your memory or your cache also impacts your memory controller, so it requires more volts all together due to the fact that both voltages are strapped. It's part of the reason why it's difficult to compare voltages with each other without knowing cache clocks and how tweaked each person's memory is. Still, at 1.24v, you have a very good chip. I think mine can get away with around 1.3v if I leave ram and cache at stock clocks, but that's not my style. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

https://www.techpowerup.com/237434/core-i7-8700k-reviewed-by-lab501

Another round of leaks.

It's looking a bit like Intel has likely improved something about the Memory System, so I'm curious for that testing when the actual NDA drops. Because for some reason the 8700k crops up as being better than the 7800X a bit too much. (Also, this testing linked isn't a great selection of testing, as several of them don't seem to really scale beyond 6c anyway. The 8700k should be the fastest clocked 6c on the market.)