Russia firm unveils 'surveillance-proof' smartphone

piemadd

For Russians who fear that someone may be eavesdropping on their phone conversations, leading IT entrepreneur Natalya Kaspersky says she has a solution. 

At a business forum in Moscow on Friday she presented "TaigaPhone", a brand new smartphone created by InfoWatch Group, her software development company, costing around 15,000 rubles ($260).

The TaigaPhone is entirely green to represent the Russian northern forest after which it is named and has a five-inch touch screen.

This is my perfect phone. Also, does it look like the s8 to you?

"We have created it for the corporate market," said Kaspersky, president of InfoWatch Group and co-founder of Kaspersky Lab, Russia's leading antivirus software development company which some believe may have links to Russian intelligence.

Kaspersky Lab has over the past months been at the centre of controversy in the United States.

In July, the US government removed Kaspersky from its list of approved vendors, weeks after top US intelligence agency and law enforcement officials expressed concerns about the safety of its software.

But no evidence has been presented to back up vague assertions that it might be a tool of Moscow, offering Russian spies back-door entry into computers worldwide.

The company has repeatedly denied working with any government agency.

The TaigaPhone is not the first Russian-made smartphone. YotaPhone, which first appeared on the market in 2013, is back this year with a new device: the YotaPhone 3.

InfoWatch wants to sell TaigaPhone to Russian companies at a cost of between 12,000 and 15,000 rubles, almost five times cheaper than the cost of an iPhone in Russia.

"Half of all data loss in Russia happens on mobile devices, we intend to fix that problem with the TaigaPhone," company representative Grigoriy Vasilyev told investors at the forum.

InfoWatch says the device can guarantee the confidentiality of all TaigaPhone users, track the location of each device and prevent information leakage.

I wonder why the US removed them? (NSA?) Yeah I actually might buy this phone, some way, somehow.

Source: http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/russia-firm-unveils-surveillance-proof-smartphone/ar-AAspdqN

i like trains 🙂

I don't trust Kaspersky as I've seen how poor their software functions so I doubt these claims of surveillance-proof very much so, as for the NSA's claims and what not I have no reason to trust them either

But if it actually was a phone designed to evade surveillance I doubt the russian government would allow it to be  publicly unveiled in their country.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

the us removes stuff like that because the government wants to know everything u do, including ur phone sex calls and taking a dump if they could know

(◑‿◐)

21 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

They can track the location of each device? Why would I want a central system tracking my location if I wanted to be rid of surveillance? 

idk

well what about having to find your phone?

i like trains 🙂

Just now, Sauron said:

I don't see any explanation of why this is supposed to be "surveillance proof". The only surveillance proof device is a brick.

They didn't say why it is more surveillance proof. However, by forcing encryption, building WiFi tools to check for sniffers, making a mobile port for Whonix, and etc, it may be possible to design a somewhat more secure phone.

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

5 minutes ago, LtStaffel said:

They didn't say why it is more surveillance proof. However, by forcing encryption, building WiFi tools to check for sniffers, making a mobile port for Whonix, and etc, it may be possible to design a somewhat more secure phone.

Well yes, but there's a big gap between "somewhat more secure" and "surveillance proof". Maybe we should classify it as "surveillance resistant"?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Sauron said:

Well yes, but there's a big gap between "somewhat more secure" and "surveillance proof". Maybe we should classify it as "surveillance resistant"?

Yep

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

10 minutes ago, Sauron said:

I don't see any explanation of why this is supposed to be "surveillance proof". The only surveillance proof device is a brick.

idk, with the right equipment they may be able to detect micro-vibrations in the brick from a distance allowing them to eavesdrop xD 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just trying to find the source behind the article is just showing me dozens of copies of the same article. Journalism at its finest. Hard to tell if its the typical journalist making false claims or if its the company that is doing it. Anyone else have better luck?

Just now, tjcater said:

Just trying to find the source behind the article is just showing me dozens of copies of the same article. Journalism at its finest. Hard to tell if its the typical journalist making false claims or if its the company that is doing it. Anyone else have better luck?

Its probably just a fake article to keep the news and as a great man once said ( @Sauron ) "the only surveillance proof thing is a brick"

Feel free to quote me if you want an answer

NAS hard drive list feel free to PM me questions or anything about Hard drive as i am in love with them 

I fly the Boeing 737-800 for Turkish Airlines

"Men, this stuff that some sources sling around about America wanting out of this war, not wanting to fight, is a crock of bullshit. Americans love to fight, traditionally" - George.S Patton

"There are four hundred neatly marked graves somewhere in Sicily. All because one man went to sleep on the job. But they are German graves, because we caught the bastard asleep before they did." - George.S Patton

"An Army is a team. It lives, sleeps, eats, and fights as a team. This individual heroic stuff is pure horse shit. The bilious bastards who write that kind of stuff for the Saturday Evening Post don't know any more about real fighting under fire than they know about fucking!" - George.S Patton

"Sure, we all want to go home. We want to get this war over with. But you can't win a war lying down. The quickest way to get it over with is to get the bastards who started it. We want to get the hell over there and clean the goddamn thing up, and then get at those purple-pissing Japs. The quicker they are whipped, the quicker we go home. The shortest way home is through Berlin and Tokyo. So keep moving. And when we get to Berlin, I am personally going to shoot that paper-hanging son-of-a-bitch Hitler." - George.S Patton

Specs

Home Rig:                                                                                                  :

CPU: Intel I7 3770 @ 3.4 Ghz

CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo                                                                  

GPU: MSI Radeon Rx 550 Aero ITX 1gb (amazing gpu btw)   
RAM: 2x4 Mismatched Ram Sticks                                                          

Motherboard: Pegatron 2AD5                                                                  

HDD: 1TB WD BLUE                                                                               

Case: HP 7500 Series MT Case                                                            

PSUCooler Master 500W Elite                                                              

Workstation:

CPU: i7 5960x @4.3Ghz

CPU Cooler: Kraken X62                                                                                                                 

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti 1G

RAM: Kingston HyperX 32GB DDR4 2133Mhz

Mobo: Asus X99- Deluxe

HDD: WD Blue 4TB 5200RPM

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Case: Corsair 750D 

PSU: Corsair RM 750x

I do not trust russians and that company kaspersky.

Also i do not trust any device which is surveillance proof/resistand and runs android LOL.

They must have made a smartphone with sailfish OS. That's much more secure and open OS then android and without all that google stuff in it...

Everything that has a relaition with google is used to track you!

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

Just now, mate_mate91 said:

more secure and open OS then android and without all that google stuff in it...

Everything that has a relaition with google is used to track you!

Can't say much on security however android is open source and doesn't include google components when using plain ole AOSP (What all android roms are based, just like chromium is the open source version of chrome before google stacks all its stuff on it).

Well, this is basically claiming whatever is hack-proof. It's not. It's a lie and we all know that.

So, inb4 someone hacked it and talks about it during the next black hat or defcon...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

2 hours ago, Implosivetech said:

Russia firm unveils 'surveillance-proof' smartphone

2 hours ago, Implosivetech said:

InfoWatch says the device can ....... track the location of each device

I sense a discrepancy in there somewhere.  I can't quite put my finger on what that is, though.  Hmm....I'm sure it will come to me eventually.

9 minutes ago, tjcater said:

Reminded me that I could flash Copperhead OS to my Nexus, just I don't value my privacy enough to use it.

Or install a Tails or Qubes OS on a VM

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

9 hours ago, AresKrieger said:

I don't trust Kaspersky as I've seen how poor their software functions so I doubt these claims of surveillance-proof very much so, as for the NSA's claims and what not I have no reason to trust them either

But if it actually was a phone designed to evade surveillance I doubt the russian government would allow it to be  publicly unveiled in their country.

I still don't understand why some people have issues with it. It runs just fine with a Pentium T3200+4GB RAM+750GB 5400RPM HDD.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

9 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

I still don't understand why some people have issues with it. It runs just fine with a Pentium T3200+4GB RAM+750GB 5400RPM HDD.

Issues with what?

i like trains 🙂

20 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

I presume he was referring to Kaspersky AV, despite it only having a tangential relationship to the referenced article above.

thanks

i like trains 🙂

15 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

It seems to do very little in terms of protection, I've never seen it detect anything threatening despite things getting pass it frequently all it does is eat ram on crappy work computers

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful