Opinion between an I7 and Ryzen 3

weed

i7 ve R3  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Should i stick with I7 or change to Ryzen? (Please vote only after reading the text)

• I7
    • Ryzen

@Enderman and i also do video editing and photo rendering in my spare time, i do game but not alot, i do know going from intel to amd is a bit of a downgrade but still.

Feel free to quote me if you want an answer

NAS hard drive list feel free to PM me questions or anything about Hard drive as i am in love with them 

I fly the Boeing 737-800 for Turkish Airlines

"Men, this stuff that some sources sling around about America wanting out of this war, not wanting to fight, is a crock of bullshit. Americans love to fight, traditionally" - George.S Patton

"There are four hundred neatly marked graves somewhere in Sicily. All because one man went to sleep on the job. But they are German graves, because we caught the bastard asleep before they did." - George.S Patton

"An Army is a team. It lives, sleeps, eats, and fights as a team. This individual heroic stuff is pure horse shit. The bilious bastards who write that kind of stuff for the Saturday Evening Post don't know any more about real fighting under fire than they know about fucking!" - George.S Patton

"Sure, we all want to go home. We want to get this war over with. But you can't win a war lying down. The quickest way to get it over with is to get the bastards who started it. We want to get the hell over there and clean the goddamn thing up, and then get at those purple-pissing Japs. The quicker they are whipped, the quicker we go home. The shortest way home is through Berlin and Tokyo. So keep moving. And when we get to Berlin, I am personally going to shoot that paper-hanging son-of-a-bitch Hitler." - George.S Patton

Specs

Home Rig:                                                                                                  :

CPU: Intel I7 3770 @ 3.4 Ghz

CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo                                                                  

GPU: MSI Radeon Rx 550 Aero ITX 1gb (amazing gpu btw)   
RAM: 2x4 Mismatched Ram Sticks                                                          

Motherboard: Pegatron 2AD5                                                                  

HDD: 1TB WD BLUE                                                                               

Case: HP 7500 Series MT Case                                                            

PSUCooler Master 500W Elite                                                              

Workstation:

CPU: i7 5960x @4.3Ghz

CPU Cooler: Kraken X62                                                                                                                 

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti 1G

RAM: Kingston HyperX 32GB DDR4 2133Mhz

Mobo: Asus X99- Deluxe

HDD: WD Blue 4TB 5200RPM

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Case: Corsair 750D 

PSU: Corsair RM 750x

1 minute ago, weed said:

Still, LGA 1155 is dead thats the main problem, AM4 just started, i can keep on upgrading and upgrading.

Just upgrade to Ryzen once you have enough to buy a R5 or R7...

Upgrade the GPU for now.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Just now, weed said:

@Enderman and i also do video editing and photo rendering in my spare time, i do game but not alot, i do know going from intel to amd is a bit of a downgrade but still.

A bit? Nope it's a lot.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Just now, Enderman said:

Did not your read the part about r5/r7 not performing better?

Do you understand that ryzen has worse single core performance than intel CPUs, and this is what matters in games?

You're going to downgrade, and then "upgrade" to a CPU almost exactly the same as what you currently have.

r7 just gives you more threads, and like 0.0001% of games will be able to use more than 8 which is what you have now.

Again buddy, I think the r5 and r7 are actually a bit better, like 5-10% better for games. Not saying it's worth upgrading tho, and I agree with your point. Just saying its a bit better than 0.001% :P 

I wasn't sure so I found this :

But not sure if it's reliable ? What you think ?

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

1 minute ago, weed said:

Still, LGA 1155 is dead thats the main problem, AM4 just started, i can keep on upgrading and upgrading.

So why exactly would you want to downgrade and then upgrade rather than sticking with what you have now, save up more money, THEN upgrade??

It makes no sense.

You want to get yourself less performance, and delay the upgrade to a better ryzen CPU by wasting money on an r3.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, gbergeron said:

Again buddy, I think the r5 and r7 are actually a bit better, like 5-10% better for games. Not saying it's worth upgrading tho, and I agree with your point. Just saying its a bit better than 0.001% :P 

If it is realiable then look at how the Ryzen 5 destroys the I7 

NAS hard drive list feel free to PM me questions or anything about Hard drive as i am in love with them 

"Men, this stuff that some sources sling around about America wanting out of this war, not wanting to fight, is a crock of bullshit. Americans love to fight, traditionally" - George.S Patton

"There are four hundred neatly marked graves somewhere in Sicily. All because one man went to sleep on the job. But they are German graves, because we caught the bastard asleep before they did." - George.S Patton

"An Army is a team. It lives, sleeps, eats, and fights as a team. This individual heroic stuff is pure horse shit. The bilious bastards who write that kind of stuff for the Saturday Evening Post don't know any more about real fighting under fire than they know about fucking!" - George.S Patton

"Sure, we all want to go home. We want to get this war over with. But you can't win a war lying down. The quickest way to get it over with is to get the bastards who started it. We want to get the hell over there and clean the goddamn thing up, and then get at those purple-pissing Japs. The quicker they are whipped, the quicker we go home. The shortest way home is through Berlin and Tokyo. So keep moving. And when we get to Berlin, I am personally going to shoot that paper-hanging son-of-a-bitch Hitler." - George.S Patton

Specs

Home Rig:                                                                                                  :

Workstation:

1 minute ago, gbergeron said:

IPC is not much better, but what I said about the 0.0001% is the amount of games that use more than 8 threads.

Go ahead and make a list of the games that can use more than 8.

It's a very small list.

So no, the extra 8 threads of the r7 will literally not make any improvement to his game performance in 99% of games.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, weed said:

If it is realiable then look at how the Ryzen 5 destroys the I7 

YEah but that video somehow, might not be very reliable... 

See this one per example , 

the i7 hold to the r7 performance in most cases.. and here you see the graphics in game with the FPS, not only images like in the other video

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

5 minutes ago, weed said:

Well why didn't you say that in the first place?

All you mentioned is gaming.

Still, downgrading to r3 is a waste of money.

Just save up until you can afford an r7 1700.

If you buy an r3 you will not only delay the upgrade to an r7 but also get worse performance during all the time you will need to be saving up.

Spoiler

Just now, Enderman said:

So why exactly would you want to downgrade and then upgrade rather than sticking with what you have now, save up more money, THEN upgrade??

It makes no sense.

You want to get yourself less performance, and delay the upgrade to a better ryzen CPU by wasting money on an r3.

Ok, you are very right about what you said, but you cant notice is that i cant blow a ton of money at one time, i know its a waste of money, if you want to understand how everything is over priced here, take this as an example, i bought my 550 for 410AED which is the currency of the country i live in, that is about 112$, i could have bought a 1060 if i lived in for example in America, and mind you the 410AED i spent on my 550 that was the cheapest 550 on the market so you can imaginge how expensive buying a Ryzen 7 1700x.

Specs

Workstation:

Just now, Enderman said:

If you buy an r3 you will not only delay the upgrade to an r7 but also get worse performance during all the time you will need to be saving up.

That's exactly what I was trying to point out loll

Just now, weed said:

Ok, you are very right about what you said, but you cant notice is that i cant blow a ton of money at one time, i know its a waste of money, if you want to understand how everything is over priced here, take this as an example, i bought my 550 for 410AED which is the currency of the country i live in, that is about 112$, i could have bought a 1060 if i lived in for example in America, and mind you the 410AED i spent on my 550 that was the cheapest 550 on the market so you can imaginge how expensive buying a Ryzen 7 1700x.

Then again that just point us toward --- > keep what you have until you have enough to upgrade to somthing worth it

Just now, weed said:

Smoke less Weed and save more money.

Joke lolll don't get angry on me :) 

Then again that just point us toward --- > keep what you have until you have enough to upgrade to somthing worth it

I just said i cant blow alot of money on PC parts at one go, and here you are wanting me to get a Ryzen 1700x with a new motherboard and case in an overpriced country.

Specs

Workstation:

an i7 3770 is stronger than any ryzen 3 this would make no sense, quite frankly even the ryzen 5 1400 wouldn't feel as an upgrade at all, waste of money.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, weed said:

?!?

What is so hard for you to understand about "you're wasting money and delaying an upgrade"???

Saving up to an r7 will take X years, but buying an r3 and then saving up for an r7 will take X+Y years where Y is the amount of time you saved up for an r3.

You end up waiting longer to get an r7, and in the mean time you get LESS performance because an r3 is much worse than a 3770.

Why can you not WAIT and save your money? Are you so impatient that you need to impulse buy a crappy CPU immediately?

Spoiler

Just now, Enderman said:

?!?

What is so hard for you to understand about "you're wasting money and delaying an upgrade"???

Saving up to an r7 will take X years, but buying an r3 and then saving up for an r7 will take X+Y years where Y is the amount of time you saved up for an r3.

You end up waiting longer to get an r7, and in the mean time you get LESS performance because an r3 is much worse than a 3770.

Why can you not WAIT and save your money? Are you so impatient that you need to impulse buy a crappy CPU immediately?

First of all calm down, second of all i cant fucking buy a Ryzen 1700x and a fucking motherboard and fucking case at the same fucking time. thats too much fucking money at one fucking time. now how hard is it for you to understand that?

Specs

Workstation:

Smoke less Weed and save more money.

Joke lolll don't get angry on me :) 

The problem is not saving money the problem is what will my famliy think of me spending a crap ton of money at the same time, i can easily get the Ryzen 1700x, but i cant waste that much money at one time.

Specs

Workstation:

2 minutes ago, weed said:

First of all calm down, second of all i cant fucking buy a Ryzen 1700x and a fucking motherboard and fucking case at the same fucking time. thats too much fucking money at one fucking time. now how hard is it for you to understand that?

What difference does it make if you buy it at 2 different times than if you buy it all at once???

It is literally the SAME AMOUNT OF MONEY.

Except you spend more by buying the r3.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, weed said:

So do not buy any thing at all? you save more money this way is that not a win win? your current computer is fine, you're actually going to regret so much when you realize you worsen your performance burning all the little money you had on a ryzen 3 based system to replace a somewhat recent mainstream i7.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

3 minutes ago, weed said:

The problem is not saving money the problem is what will my famliy think of me spending a crap ton of money at the same time, i can easily get the Ryzen 1700x, but i cant waste that much money at one time.

Teach your family that $2+2 = $4  regardless of when you spend the first $2 and the second $2.

PS- you can still buy the case now, and just mobo+CPU later.

You don't need a new motherboard and CPU to upgrade a case.

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, weed said:

, i can easily get the Ryzen 1700x, but i cant waste that much money at one time.

technically your actions are leading you to the most wasting at all as you'll have a price for zero performance gain, you do need the Ryzen 7 1700 (non-x) to make it worth in the price to performance view taking into account your existing i7 system.

This is like owning a BMW but selling it at a lost to get a worse cheapo Ford or something to "upgrade" your diving comfort.

Personal Desktop":

5 minutes ago, weed said:

I just said i cant blow alot of money on PC parts at one go, and here you are wanting me to get a Ryzen 1700x with a new motherboard and case in an overpriced country.

This is getting out of control buddy !!!! people are just pointing FACTS, not attacking you !!!!

And I never said I wanted you to buy a r7 with case and everything ????

You can keep same case ?

All I said is it's useless to waste money on downgrading until you can actually spend $$$ to really upgrade !!!

IF you can't buy better than a r5 for now, I would keep the i7 3770k and I think this is what everyone here tries to tell you....

If  you can upgrade to r7, go for it, if you can't now, wait until you can because going for a downgrade until you can finally upgrade makes no sense.

Again, if you like to waste money ( even tho you  told us you don't have a lot of money ) go ahead and buy a r3. It won't affect us all here at all... we just tryin to make you understand the way you think makes no sense :P  No offense

@Enderman @gbergeron i dont have an  I7 3770k, i have a normal I7 3770, and @Enderman its a rule in my family where i cant spend X amount of money in X amount of time.

Specs

Workstation: