How to get people to work for me?

Sir Asvald

So I've finally setup my website. It's going to PC repair and consultancy. It's a startup. So no money at the moment. How do I get people to work for me. I've asked my friends, they are getting ready for university and some are too busy. 

What shall I do?

NEW POST HERE: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

2 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

So I've finally setup my website. It's going to PC repair and consultancy. It's a startup. So no money at the moment. How do I get people to work for me. I've asked my friends, they are getting ready for university and some are too busy. 

What shall I do?

Start alone?... You can't exactly force anyone and it doesn't seem as if you have anything of value to pay them with on a regular basis. 

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

3 minutes ago, ImadKnight said:

Start alone?... You can't exactly force anyone and it doesn't seem as if you have anything of value to pay them with on a regular basis. 

I've started a while ago. It's been a month and a half. I've been working 7 days a week 10 am to 9 pm. I sometimes get called, other occasions. I don't

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Just now, Abdul201588 said:

I've started a while ago. It's been a month and a half. I've been working 7 days a week 10 am to 9 am. I sometimes get called, other occasions. I don't

Try advertising more. Get out in a costume and hand out flyers, put them up in town, etc. etc. 

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

There is no easy way to do it. If you can't compensate someone for their work then your options are pretty thin. 

Invest as much time as you can and if you do manage to get someone to work for you then be prepared to compensate them, even if it is out of pocket. The number of people willing to work for free is slim.

Basically, if you have the capital to invest in your business and need the hands, hire workers.

If you don't have enough work to justify workers yet, invest in other areas such as marketing and equipment. Just keep that work load to a minimum till you can afford to expand

5 minutes ago, Syn Messer said:

There is no easy way to do it. If you can't compensate someone for their work then your options are pretty thin. 

Invest as much time as you can and if you do manage to get someone to work for you then be prepared to compensate them, even if it is out of pocket. The number of people willing to work for free is slim.

Basically, if you have the capital to invest in your business and need the hands, hire workers.

If you don't have enough work to justify workers yet, invest in other areas such as marketing and equipment. Just keep that work load to a minimum till you can afford to expand

I agree. OP, only start thinking about hiring when you can not get the work done due to the sheer amount. 

Work on marketing for now, as you need barely any equipment. 

5 minutes ago, Syn Messer said:

I see. I've spent the last month and a half basically doing everything. I've had people contact me. I've fix PCs here and there. I've been working 7 days a week from morning to late night. 

1 minute ago, ImadKnight said:

I agree. OP, only start thinking about hiring when you can not get the work done due to the sheer amount. 

Work on marketing for now, as you need barely any equipment. 

I plan on advertising. Everything is setup. 

The advice given so far is pretty sound, so to add to that, you could attempt to take on an intern.

Though if you feel that you cannot provide guidance to someone at this stage of the business, please don't.

Contact staffing depts of local trade schools and colleges. Do this when you are ready since initially this will ADD to your workload before it starts to detract.

Some schools will have you prove that you can meet certain requirements, so prepare for that. Have proper business documentation and INSURANCE.

But as others have said, pay your dues first. Doing any of what I said without being ready will be a detriment to you and anyone you take on. This is more near-future advice than right now.

4 minutes ago, Fahim Foysal said:

I am a bit confused. If you are working 24/7 to repair PCs how come the business isn't profitable yet.

Because, I haven't advertised it yet. I'm not working ALL day. I'm only working from 9AM - 9/10PM. 

3 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

Because, I haven't advertised it yet. I'm not working ALL day. I'm only working from 9AM - 9/10PM. 

What exactly do you mean by "working"? Aren't you talking about fixing PC for paying clients? 

btw 9AM  - 9PM is basically working all day

Just now, Fahim Foysal said:

What exactly do you mean by "working"? Aren't you talkiniicalyg about fixing PC for paying clients? 

btw 9AM  - 9PM is basically working all day

Working as in setting up the website, setting up the servers and repairing PCs. I get a number of customers. One week I get like 3, the next 1 or 2

How is that working all day? it's not. 

9 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

Working as in setting up the website, setting up the servers and repairing PCs. I get a number of customers. One week I get like 3, the next 1 or 2

I don't see why you would need more employees at this moment. 

On 9/6/2017 at 9:31 PM, Abdul201588 said:

Then maybe don't call it working all day. Getting more employees doesn't mean you would get more clients and more money. It actual is quite opposite. You will need to pay for them, invest time to interview and train them, work on contracts etc (besides hourly/monthly wage there's other things governments require from employers). When you have money to pay someone, book keeper would be the one. Having professional take care of paperwork will give you more time to do actual work. Meantime, Freshbooks.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 9/7/2017 at 5:34 AM, Abdul201588 said:

I see. I've spent the last month and a half basically doing everything. I've had people contact me. I've fix PCs here and there. I've been working 7 days a week from morning to late night. 

if you are serious about starting your own business get used to this. This will be the next few years of your life if you are serious. and be prepared for some serious grinds. IT is already nothing new and sure there are many competitors in your area. 

Setting up servers and building the website are not work, those are things that should have been done in the first week and now your only focus is on marketing, Following up with existing clients and getting anything you working on fixed with the fastest turn around time possible. 

Also where are you running your shop out of, have you rented a store front ? 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

On 06/09/2017 at 11:21 AM, ImadKnight said:

Of course not....

*Crosses off 'slavery' from my list of suggestions*

Edited by OmJo93

8 minutes ago, OmJo93 said:

Of course not....

*Crosses off 'slavery' from my list of suggestions*

Hahahahahhahahaha. 

You've still got minimum wage and screwing over the employee left so it's okay. :P

On 06/09/2017 at 2:31 PM, Abdul201588 said:

I'm confused a bit here.

If over a week you're only repairing 2 or 3 computers, you're not profitable at all yet. Depending on the severity of each job, these computers should take 1-4 hours each to fix (not counting stuff like waiting for a loading bar, download, or file copy, etc).

In other words, in a 60 hour week (9 am to 9 pm, Monday to Friday), you're doing, at best, 12 hours of actual paid work.

You don't need staff at all. You need marketing. Lots of it.

Here's what I'd recommend:

1. Get a professional website (Self made or hire someone, as long as it looks good)

2. Create a Facebook Page (gross I know but just do it)

3. Make sure your business email address uses the same @ domain as your website above (Eg: abdul201588@abdulscomputers.com)

4. Make business cards - put your Name, title (owner, CEO, whatever), website, and facebook page link, along with the normal info (Business address, phone number, hours, etc)

5. Share your Facebook Page and website address to friends.

6. General marketing - do local newspaper adverts, do flyer campaign for the local area, do Google or Facebook ads if you want to market to online customers, etc

Don't hire anyone until you're busy pretty much every day and start to run out of time to do other tasks required.

Also, you're working a 12 hour shift - that might not be "all day" in the literal sense, but that's "all day" in a "working day" sense.

Once you're busy enough to actually need a 2nd tech, you'll be able to afford to pay him (and all the extra costs that surround that). Advertise the job ad using places like Monster, LinkedIn, Facebook, your own website (have a Careers section or something). Also check to see if there are any local/state job boards - especially government run ones. You could also use something like Craigslist, but you'll get a lot more spam/crap applicants that way too.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 9/6/2017 at 10:17 AM, Abdul201588 said:

So no money at the moment

you cant.

if you cant pay them, they arent going to work for you.

get some clients, and obtain an income. then worry about getting people on board, once you can pay them.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

5 hours ago, Teddy07 said:

is PC repair in 2017 even a viable business?

if its laptop and desktop together than it makes sense but if its only desktop then not so much

8 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Here's what I'd recommend:

1. Get a professional website (Self made or hire someone, as long as it looks good)

2. Create a Facebook Page (gross I know but just do it)

3. Make sure your business email address uses the same @ domain as your website above (Eg: abdul201588@abdulscomputers.com)

4. Make business cards - put your Name, title (owner, CEO, whatever), website, and facebook page link, along with the normal info (Business address, phone number, hours, etc)

5. Share your Facebook Page and website address to friends.

6. General marketing - do local newspaper adverts, do flyer campaign for the local area, do Google or Facebook ads if you want to market to online customers, etc

Thanks for the reply. The only reason why I get so little is of my location. I'm willing to go to the customers house's. I even say on my website I can only travel so far. 

1. I've got my own website, I've built it myself. It works. I've tested it made sure it working perfectly. It's secure, it has an SSL certificate. It has a contact form, the customers fill out what they need. I get it an email notification.
  2. I've got social media accounts, Google+ and Twitter, I'll create Facebook today
  3. I've got an Exchange server running with my domain name
  4. I'm looking into them as well
  5. I've shared all the links
  6. I'll be handing out business cards and all the media will be on them. 

On 9/6/2017 at 1:22 PM, Abdul201588 said:

I've been working 7 days a week 10 am to 9 pm.

I've met people who have built successful businesses (as in, they now make $500,000-$1,000,000/year). That's how it's going to be at the start, and it might stay like that for years. You're going to be tired and miserable. You'll think about quitting. Whether this is worth it or not, it's all up to you.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X            | Cooler: Deepcool AK400  | Motherboard: B550 Elite AX V2  | Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB   | GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Ti    | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)    | PSU: EVGA 650W G2             |