Zen 2?!?!

Fix your post: 

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Boom! forum police dun rekt you!

I wonder what the naming convention will be for zen 2... I'm thinking Ryzen 7 2800x, 2700, etc..  

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

10 minutes ago, CostcoSamples said:

I wonder what the naming convention will be for zen 2... I'm thinking Ryzen 7 2800x, 2700, etc..  

I wish they'd remove the X entirely because it makes no sense...

Just now, dogetorhue said:

The X makes sense. Stands for eXtended frequency range (what's with not using E...) and basically the CPU can turbo higher like GPU boost turbos GPUs higher when power and thermals allow. Also, they'd naturally be better binned, therefore requiring less voltage/producing less heat.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

1 minute ago, dogetorhue said:

Yes I agree... I think the X is supposed to make it sound better but really it's kind of dumb IMO.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

Zen2 is still what's exciting to me. 7nm is gonna lead to much higher transistor density. It probably will lead to higher clocks. There are lots of tweaks they can probably make to increase IPC. And they probably will have time to fix infinity fabric induced gaming performance impacts.

It's just like the Athlon. The Athlon XP was good, but the 2nd gen product, the Athlon 64, was the kicker that destroyed Intel.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

8 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

The X makes sense. Stands for eXtended frequency range (what's with not using E...)

Because X makes anything cool

8 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Zen2 is still what's exciting to me. 7nm is gonna lead to much higher transistor density. It probably will lead to higher clocks. There are lots of tweaks they can probably make to increase IPC. And they probably will have time to fix infinity fabric induced gaming performance impacts.

It's just like the Athlon. The Athlon XP was good, but the 2nd gen product, the Athlon 64, was the kicker that destroyed Intel.

I wouldn't really call the Athlon 64 a 2nd gen product to the Athlon XP. Athlon/Athlon XP were using the K7 architecture, whereas Athlon 64 used K8.

I also wouldn't put much hope in AMD outright wrecking Intel anymore. Intel has a formidable architecture unlike Prescott back in the day.

11 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I wouldn't really call the Athlon 64 a 2nd gen product to the Athlon XP. Athlon/Athlon XP were using the K7 architecture, whereas Athlon 64 used K8.

I also wouldn't put much hope in AMD outright wrecking Intel anymore. Intel has a formidable architecture unlike Prescott back in the day.

That's true. But what is true is that usually it's the second gen product that's really impressive. Core duo vs core 2 duo. Phenom vs phenom ii. 

I agree, AMD probably won't outright destroy Intel since IPC isn't an easy thing to improve anymore. But it's totally possible that AMD will achieve IPC that is at least as good as Skylake/Kaby Lake with Zen2.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

17 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

I wonder what the smaller architecture will mean for socket/mobo/chipset compatibility? I would love to be able to upgrade my gen 1 to a gen 2 chip without a new mobo

Just now, Foist2017 said:

I wonder what the smaller architecture will mean for socket/mobo/chipset compatibility? I would love to be able to upgrade my gen 1 to a gen 2 chip without a new mobo

It's gonna be compatible still. A process node shrink doesn't mean incompatibility (e.g. Ivy Bridge and Sandy were different process nodes but used the same socket). 

I believe AMD has stated AM4 will be getting new CPUs until 2020 so... It's a very "future proof," for lack of a better term, socket.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, DocSwag said:

That's true. But what is true is that usually it's the second gen product that's really impressive. Core duo vs core 2 duo. Phenom vs phenom ii.

I had a look back at reviews of processors back in the 2000s, and I'm going to sound like a negative Nancy or whatnot, but those offered incremental performance improvements. The Phenom only had a problem with the TLB bug which I think was a rare thing to hit but AMD decided to issue the nuclear button.

And actually even across generations performance improvements were more ho-hum on the IPC level. Except for Pentium D to Core. It's to a point now where I'm convinced that we've always had incremental improvements on IPC, with maybe an exception or two.

8 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I had a look back at reviews of processors back in the 2000s, and I'm going to sound like a negative Nancy or whatnot, but those offered incremental performance improvements. The Phenom only had a problem with the TLB bug which I think was a rare thing to hit but AMD decided to issue the nuclear button.

And actually even across generations performance improvements were more ho-hum on the IPC level. Except for Pentium D to Core. It's to a point now where I'm convinced that we've always had incremental improvements on IPC, with maybe an exception or two.

Core 2 offered large clock speed improvements compared to the original Core. 

Phenom II offered better performance/$. Not really a performance improvement I guess, more of a better value proposition.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Core 2 offered large clock speed improvements compared to the original Core.

Not according to http://www.anandtech.com/show/2056

EDIT: You said clock speed and I glossed over it, which yah, Core was a mobile processor only.

58 minutes ago, CostcoSamples said:

How will they brand the 14nm+ chips for that matter?

29 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

But what about these improvements?

599414e5d4de4_IPCgainsscreenshot2017-08-160235a.thumb.png.58a546dbbf588843fdd6f981ebc6340d.png

And how about this, for price vs performance?

599419e8e2668_286-12(1989)vs486-120(1995)priceside-by-side2017-08-160259a.thumb.jpg.d56739e07cc1e02aba7e5d9d986056a2.jpg

I think adding the same parts to the 486 that were bundled with the 286 brought it up to  about $300-320 IIRC.

I'd love to see the industry catch up to where we would be if that pace of perf/$ gains had not slowed. :)

18 minutes ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

But what about these improvements?

And how about this, for price vs performance?

I think adding the same parts to the 486 that were bundled with the 286 brought it up to  about $300-320 IIRC.

I'd love to see the industry catch up to where we would be if that pace of perf/$ gains had not slowed. :)

Some comments in list form because I can't figure out how to sort this in paragraphs

• On the Wikipedia table you screencapped, the column I'm most concerned with is "Instructions per clock per core". That hasnt changed much over the years
  • Most of the improvements in the 80s to 90s was either a sizable increase in clock speed which has a direct performance impact, because some new hardware feature was implemented (e.g., superscalar pipeling), or because something that was external to the CPU was integrated into it (e.g., L2 cache)
  • We don't run applications that require loads of CPU time most of the time. So total throughput means little as opposed to IPC.

Much of what the 90s represented was getting the building blocks in place. It's very similar to gun technology. Guns really haven't really innovated much since the 1920s. Anything you see that seems to be new and innovative was probably done already at some point.

8 hours ago, TheRandomness said:

what's with not using E...

AMD uses E for low TDP chips. As in A12-9800E (35W) and A12-9800 (65W). The abbreviaton of Extended Frequency Range is also XFR.

My heart belongs to AMD but that doesn't mean I furiously hate Intel or NVIDIA :)

MAIN RIG AMD Ryzen 7 1700 | ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac | MSI HD7950 OC 3GB | G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB @ 2666MHz (Samsung D-Die) | ADATA SX8200 480GB NVMe SSD & Seagate Barracuda 120 1TB SSD & WD Black 500GB | Sharkoon QB One

LAPTOP Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 (14ARE05) - AMD Ryzen 5 4500U | AMD Vega 8 (Renoir) | 16GB RAM | SKHynix PC601 512GB (OEM) | 1080p 300nit non-touch display

They trademarked "Kyzen" So I assume that's what they will use.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @3.7ghz (1.3v) Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 GPU: Zotac Mini GTX 1060 Case: NZXT - S340 (Black/Blue) Mobo: MSI B350m mortar arctic

RAM: Team Vulcan DDR4 (2x4gb, 2666mhz) Storage: Toshiba 1tb 7200rpm HDD, PNY CS1311 Sata SSD (6gb/s) PSU: EVGA - BQ 500w 80+ Bronze semi modular

-coffee lake comes out

-r3 gets smt and we get 170$ hexa core

-intel either adds HT to i3 or pushes six cores to the i3

-amd drops hexa cores to r3 no matter what Intel does

-hexa cores for everyone and octa cores on the medium end

This should definitely happen by 2020.

On 9/5/2017 at 11:47 PM, MyName13 said:

-coffee lake comes out

-r3 gets smt and we get 170$ hexa core

-intel either adds HT to i3 or pushes six cores to the i3

-amd drops hexa cores to r3 no matter what Intel does

-hexa cores for everyone and octa cores on the medium end

This should definitely happen by 2020.

The majority of Zen based chips are Ryzen 5 1400 chips, they disable most of the defective cores and sell them as lower core count parts, for a reason. If they make the lesser amount of their functional chips the only ones being sold and throw out the rest of the chips, they will lose a very large sum of money. Intel doesn't have to worry so much, because they have a much more efficient and cost effective manufacturing process, and many more chips per batch, due in part to larger wafers.

Now, if Kyzen offers a high IPC gain, and makes R3 hyperthreaded, they are already beating intel, there is no way intel is gonna make 8 cores standard until after Coffee Lake, and that's too late, because AMD's 7nm chips will be out, so they'll probably be on the losing end, and be producing the worse performing product for a little while.

The only thing they can do right now is lower prices, I hope I will see a 8700k going for 300 - 320$.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @3.7ghz (1.3v) Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 GPU: Zotac Mini GTX 1060 Case: NZXT - S340 (Black/Blue) Mobo: MSI B350m mortar arctic

RAM: Team Vulcan DDR4 (2x4gb, 2666mhz) Storage: Toshiba 1tb 7200rpm HDD, PNY CS1311 Sata SSD (6gb/s) PSU: EVGA - BQ 500w 80+ Bronze semi modular

On 9/5/2017 at 1:32 PM, DocSwag said:

i remember my athlon xp 3200+ ? I also have a memory of anothger I had , a 2200+ is it possible ? been many years xD it was indeed amazing :)

You remember when they used to call it numbers with +

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

3 hours ago, He_162 said:

The majority of Zen based chips are Ryzen 5 1400 chips, they disable most of the defective cores and sell them as lower core count parts, for a reason. If they make the lesser amount of their functional chips the only ones being sold and throw out the rest of the chips, they will lose a very large sum of money. Intel doesn't have to worry so much, because they have a much more efficient and cost effective manufacturing process, and many more chips per batch, due in part to larger wafers.

Now, if Kyzen offers a high IPC gain, and makes R3 hyperthreaded, they are already beating intel, there is no way intel is gonna make 8 cores standard until after Coffee Lake, and that's too late, because AMD's 7nm chips will be out, so they'll probably be on the losing end, and be producing the worse performing product for a little while.

The only thing they can do right now is lower prices, I hope I will see a 8700k going for 300 - 320$.

You mean they are made from ryzen 1700, not 1400 chips?Everything is made from octa cores.Is intel's manufacturing really cheaper than amd's?AMD seems to have huge yields so they could actually offer hexa cores on the low end (if 7nm+ gets equally high yields).I wonder what will Intel do once r3 gets smt, higher clock rates and IPC, both of them have nothing else to do but to offer hexa cores on the low end and octa cores on medium end.

10 hours ago, gbergeron said:

i remember my athlon xp 3200+ ? I also have a memory of anothger I had , a 2200+ is it possible ? been many years xD it was indeed amazing :)

You remember when they used to call it numbers with +

I wasn't around back then xD 

Hell, when it was first announced I wasn't even born :P 

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler