Leaked guide outlines how Apple decides to repair or replace iPhones

AlTech
1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

People who buy flagship phones tend to upgrade frequently anyway, so I don't really believe that either. 

Maybe, but I've seen plenty of peopel with iphones from 4 to 6 years ago.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

6 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Maybe, but I've seen plenty of peopel with iphones from 4 to 6 years ago.

It happens occasionally, but it seems to be far from the norm at least from what I've seen of people around me. 

http://fortune.com/2017/03/06/apple-iphone-use-worldwide/

In 2012 15% had >2 year old iPhones, and now it's around 35%, but I'd be willing to bet a decent amount of that is people who would have upgraded to the 7 if it were a different design. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

4 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

That's not an issue that's exclusive to Apple though, the vast majority of smartphones -- even flagships aren't exactly durable. 

Then don't buy them.
It is that simple.

4 hours ago, Sauron said:

Who cares what they advertise? If it doesn't offer a minimum of durability I won't buy it nor recommend it. Nobody is accusing them of false advertisement.

Yes nobody is doing that. Why are you bringing it up then?

I think you are completly missing the point here.

Just now, Senzelian said:

Then don't buy them.
It is that simple.

I'm not complaining about it (well, I'd like a more durable phone, although as far as I'm concerned iPhones are durable as long as you don't treat them like garbage). I don't want a plastic phone with a plastic screen -- I want a a thin all metal body with small bezels and a crystal clear display. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

4 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

That's not an issue that's exclusive to Apple though, the vast majority of smartphones -- even flagships aren't exactly durable. 

I'd say that especially flagships aren't durable - those bezels that eveybody has got rid of give rigidity and help dampen the effects of falls.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

4 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I'm not complaining about it (well, I'd like a more durable phone, although as far as I'm concerned iPhones are durable as long as you don't treat them like garbage). I don't want a plastic phone with a plastic screen -- I want a a thin all metal body with small bezels and a crystal clear display. 

You can have that.

But don't drop it and complain afterwards that it is the manufacturers fault that it isn't sturdy enough and claim your warranty even tho you are the one that dropped it.

And I'm not saying that you are specificly doing that, I just wanted to make clear what this conversation is about, in case it wasn't clear.

Just now, Senzelian said:

You can have that.

But don't drop it and complain afterwards that it is the manufacturers fault that it isn't sturdy enough and claim your warranty even tho you are the one that dropped it.

And I'm not saying that you are specificly doing that, I just wanted to make clear what this conversation is about, in case it wasn't clear.

It's also worth pointing out that a lot of it comes down to the discretion of the technician who's helping you. I've had them replace numerous Mac chargers that frayed (well out of warranty) and iPhones where the screen was cracked (although the crack wasn't the given reason -- obviously).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

10 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:
Spoiler

A warranty guide was recently leaked which shows how Apple decides to repair or replace iPhones. This guide indicates to employees how they should approach issues with iPhones. The guide appears to be dated to March 3rd 2017 and covers the iPhone 6, 6 Plus, 6S, 6S Plus, 7 , 7 Plus.

These are images from The Verge of the Guide...

screen_shot_2017_09_01_at_12942_pm.thumb.png.835a9a9a2f26dbc46408579bf90e5639.png

screen_shot_2017_09_01_at_23348_pm__1_.png.3853faecd4774d848ffe817eb9532d24.png

Note: There is no evidence to confirm that this applies to iPhone SE warranty although I wonder how long Apple will continue to keep it around for.

Apple. what are you even doing? This is super anti-consumer and is bad for the environment.

It's never been a secret that tech companies generally offer terrible warranty and Apple is no exception.

Source:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/4/16251200/apple-leaked-iphone-warranty-guide-repair-replace

Apple bashing to infinity and beyond.

like seriously... 9_9

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

That seems pretty fair to me.  But then I live in a country with awesome consumer protection laws so a lot of that is moot.  If there is no sign of misuse/damage it is covered by statutory warranty.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Hehe. My iPhone 6 Plus (The gen famous for bending and not being very durable) has survived being dunked in the (clean!) loo, sat in water puddles next to the sink, dropped on tile floors, dropped on wood floors, drop kicked by accident on its face along asphalt, bouncing off a curb, and then coming back to me (All I had to do was crank back the housing with pliers so the screen would sit flush), being opened up multiple times, and then dropped more and more. And 80% of this was after I replaced my otterbox with a slim case, and 60% of that is after I replaced that slim case with a DBrand skin. And I've always kept a glass screen protector on it since I got rid of the otterbox. Oh, and I bought it lightly used, so IDK if it was dropped or not (it was in near perfect cosmetic condition). Currently running the iOS 11 Beta 8 happy as a lark (well, some slowdowns, but not so bad I revert to iOS 10). So I'd say if you have any basic tinkering knowledge at all, basically you can take out the two screws that hold the screen in (iPhones are so easy to repair nowadays), your iPhone will last you a long time. I've had it for 2+ years at this point. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

8 hours ago, Sauron said:

that seems oddly specific :P

I to would like to know this.... You know... For a friend

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

15 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

The industry standard of not covering accidental damage is not consumer friendly and is not what OEMs should provide.

If a product is too fragile so that it obliterates if dropped then that's Apple's fault. The consumer is not at fault for poor decisions made by companies.

If a product fails to serve the function it is supposed to then warranty should be provided to the maximum extent permissible by the law.

Apple - along with every other manufacturer - never warranties accident damage.  By their very nature, accidental damage is not the fault of the manufacturer, but rather (typically) the end user.

15 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Apple deliberately designs phones in such a way that they are fragile and can easily be damaged.

That is not the consumer's fault.

I'm nearly the furthest thing from an Apple fan you can get, and I still find that statement absolutely ludicrous.  The phones being fragile =/= the phones being intentionally designed fragile.  And I find your entire rant even more ironic, given that your original post lists an accidental damage warranty offered by Apple.  Doesn't sound very "anti-consumer" to me.

16 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Apple does note however, that AppleCare+ customers may be covered for catastrophic damage. AppleCare+’s hardware coverage does cover up to two incidents of accidental damage — with a fee of $29 for screen damage, or $99 for any other damage.

I gotta ask tho, where did Apple touched you OP?

scrape-the-bottom-of-the-barrel-en.jpg.a14ce61dafcfac0a733148099d739986.jpg

@Dissitesuxba11s

okay this guy is an idol

literally idol material!

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

1 hour ago, suicidalfranco said:

-snip-

I was about to post this too! This guy is the man! Shows you what hard work and patience can do. And money, let's not forget the money.

P.S. Thanks for thinking of me when you saw this.

i thought it was already common knowledge that the base warranty doesnt cover accedental damage?

its only covered if you pay for applecare.

this isnt really new

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.