Intel Launches Xeon-W for Workstations

Ezzy-525

It's ridiculous how confusing this new platform is! Now we have CPU's across three different sockets(LGA 1151, LGA 2066, LGA 3647) with confusing naming schemes such as Core, Core-X, Xeon, Xeon-W, Xeon Bronze, Xeon Silver, Xeon Gold, and Xeon Platinum! What a mess! They should have just simplified their old naming scheme like this:

Xeon E3: Solo CPU LGA 1151

Xeon E5: Dual CPU LGA 3647

Xeon E7: Quad CPU LGA 3647

Xeon E9: Octo CPU LGA 3647

All of the Intel Core-X processors should have used the LGA 3647 socket along with the mid-range and high-end Xeons. It's too late the damage has already been done. I'm glad to see that AMD is pursuing a simpler product lineup with only two different sockets. 

3 hours ago, leadeater said:

Well this tells us a lot about the base/boost frequencies of the upcoming Skylake-X processors ;)

i9-7900X vs W-2175 the Xeon has 200Mhz higher boost and same base.

I have noticed that the base and boost frequencies of these processors arent much different.

1 hour ago, TheBeastPC said:

I have noticed that the base and boost frequencies of these processors arent much different.

They're all some version of a branch from the Xeon Gold line. X299 are Xeon-W, just with less features & unlocked multipliers. 

Though we do finally have an answer for why KabyLake-X parts exist. They were already doing 4c/8t Xeon-W parts, so someone in corporate probably said, "well, do it for the HEDT as well". 

14 hours ago, Ground said:

Btw, is it possible the details on the EPYC 7401P are wrong? AMD shows it as a 24 core, 48 thread and 128 PCIe lane monster... Though its price is probably around 1700$,,,

I actually checked. The 7401p actually retails for 1075$ MSRP

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

1 hour ago, Coaxialgamer said:

It has since been fixed, the 7401p was initially showing as a 16 core with 60 PCIe lanes :P

Xeon e5649@4.4 GHz on Asus Rampage II Extreme or Gigabyte x58a-OC (whatever I feel like to set up at a time) , 6x4 GB Kingston HyperX 1600, Gainward GTX 670 Phantom, Samsung 840 Evo 240 GB, BeQuiet L8 530W

1 hour ago, Coaxialgamer said:

to think that competes with the Xeon W-2145 lol.

Xeon W-2145    8/16    3.7 GHz    4.5 GHz    140 W    $1113

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

OK, it's official: there are more Intel naming schemes and lineups than airfares on a plane. The final frontier is to sell CPUs individually name like Coca-Cola does with its fans from time to time. "Hey, I just got an i7-Jimmy, because Jimmy".  :P

16 hours ago, Ezzy-525 said:

I agree they're pointless when there are alternatives, but I guess at least they're filling in the gaps on their own product range for the people who only trust Intel. :P

I don't think there was a gap in terms of product. I mean, whatever your workstation was for, you are covered by X299 and Xeon (I would even wonder if there's an unnecessary overlap between the two). It's more like a gap on their segmentation strategy, trying to sell the same technology in as many different products as possible. 

14 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

OK, it's official: there are more Intel naming schemes and lineups than airfares on a plane. The final frontier is to sell CPUs individually name like Coca-Cola does with its fans from time to time. "Hey, I just got an i7-Jimmy, because Jimmy".  :P

I don't think there was a gap in terms of product. I mean, whatever your workstation was for, you are covered by X299 and Xeon (I would even wonder if there's an unnecessary overlap between the two). It's more like a gap on their segmentation strategy, trying to sell the same technology in as many different products as possible. 

That's what I meant. You're spot on that the lower end and higher end serve everyone well...the mid tier is really for people who don't know what they actually want but don't want the cheapest and can't afford the top end.

It's for idiots basically.

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

1 minute ago, Ezzy-525 said:

the mid tier is really for people who don't know what they actually want but don't want the cheapest and can't afford the top end.

It's for idiots basically.

Or for system builders who want to put Xeon in the specs :P

BTW, I just noticed that there are 2 4C/8T Xeons:

Intel-Xeon-W-Processor-SKU-List.jpg

They are basically what the 7740X should have been. xD

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

17 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Or for system builders who want to put Xeon in the specs :P

BTW, I just noticed that there are 2 4C/8T Xeons:

Intel-Xeon-W-Processor-SKU-List.jpg

They are basically what the 7740X should have been. xD

That's because these are workstation specific versions of the X299 SKUs. So it gives you a peak at what the 7980xe will be running at.

15 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

That's because these are workstation specific versions of the X299 SKUs. So it gives you a peak at what the 7980xe will be running at.

I think he's talking about the PCIe lanes. 

6 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Yes, I was talking about PCIe lanes and memory channels ;)

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Marketing 18c Xeons for workstation with "Mainstream performance" is that a typo?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

5 minutes ago, DXMember said:

Marketing 18c Xeons for workstation with "Mainstream performance" is that a typo?

Not really, since there'll be an 18c CPU available on Skylake-X's X299 in a couple of months. So that's in the retail channel, which is technically mainstream.

26 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I know that he was. I was being a little indirect with my statement.

19 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Yes, I was talking about PCIe lanes and memory channels ;)

Yep, which they use the same chips so they might/might not offer more with the "refresh". The possibilities... They're endless! Especially regarding Intel.

1 minute ago, Dylanc1500 said:

Yep, which they use the same chips so they might/might not offer more with the "refresh". The possibilities... They're endless! Especially regarding Intel.

Yeah, but the 7740X is Kabylake-X. I meant that the 7740X should have been based on Skylake-X (like the Xeons) so that it could have more PCIe lanes and quad channel DDR4 :D

9 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Yeah, but the 7740X is Kabylake-X. I meant that the 7740X should have been based on Skylake-X (like the Xeons) so that it could have more PCIe lanes and quad channel DDR4 :D

Oops I see my mistake I was getting the different dies and chips mixed up. I was thinking about other skus. You are correct as I was thinking this was a different die. Too much information come across that I have to use A LOT of spreadsheets to keep it straightforward.

5 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Not really, since there'll be an 18c CPU available on Skylake-X's X299 in a couple of months. So that's in the retail channel, which is technically mainstream.

okay, then 12k gaming is mainstream, yes?

what's an i5 then?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

3 minutes ago, DXMember said:

what's an i5 then?

When Coffeelake launches, current i5s will become low end i3s :P

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

When Coffeelake launches, current i5s will become low end i3s :P

I still don't get it how can they get away with marketing "mainstream performance" as a good thing...

what are the high-end workstation chips then?

or are they referring to high boost clocks almost like mainstream parts have?

Just now, DXMember said:

I still don't get it how can they get away with marketing "mainstream performance" as a good thing...

what are the high-end workstation chips then?

or are they referring to high boost clocks almost like mainstream parts have?

I want this kind of mainstream workstation laptop...

if I recall correctly, either Lenovo or HP had workstation laptops with dual desktop Xeons, up to 128GB ECC RAM and a Quadro card

1 hour ago, DXMember said:

I still don't get it how can they get away with marketing "mainstream performance" as a good thing..

It's so that herp derp dumbass wants the best they can get for their small business, and they have the 7700K/7900X at home, they go "hey, same performance!" instead of assuming validated and reliable processor = slow.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

8 hours ago, Dylanc1500 said:

Then what the hell are the X299 Skylake-X processors for? lol.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Then what the hell are the X299 Skylake-X processors for? lol.

They're for Done12.

Duh.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.