Age of Empires 4 confirmed! And 2 and 3 remakes

Clanscorpia
8 hours ago, themctipers said:

Windows 10 exclusive

so windows store? :( 

it could technically some to Steam but i doubt it.

7 hours ago, themctipers said:

aren't those games limited to half vsync or 30fps on most people's monitor? 

No?

Windows 10 games made in 2015 were only able to use Vsync

Windows 10 games from August 2016 onward can have Vsync disabled (unlimited framerate)

7 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

One game doesn't set a precedence, though. I don't see anything wrong with capping the frame-rate to 60Hz if there's a reason for it. 

At the time there was a technological limitation of UWP.

UWP has since been improved to support unlimited framerate.

6 hours ago, hammer3339 said:

Win 10 exclusive generally indicates windows store *cringe* :(

What's wrong with Windows Store games (which are real games, not those mobile ones) ?

3 hours ago, kirashi said:

Whoa, I'd never pirate it. That deprives the developers of their money, and as a web developer myself, I know how that feels. I'd simply share someone else's account instead, or boycott it altogether.

That is against the TOS of most modern games and gaming services.

I don't have time to dicker around with more game stores than Steam or Battle.net, so everything that's Windows, Origin, or uPlay exclusive just doesn't get played by me.

Windows Store is in all copies of Windows 10. You're not having to do anything extra to keep it there.

BattleNet I could understand but the Store is literally a part of Windows.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

Windows 10 games made in 2015 were only able to use Vsync

Windows 10 games from August 2016 onward can have Vsync disabled (unlimited framerate)

7 hours ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

No...

7 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

Where do people get that idea from?

look im right! :P 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

look im right! :P 

You said half vsync. Half vsync is not Vsync. And you didn't mention anywhere that UWP games later were able to not use Vsync.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

You said half vsync. Half vsync is not Vsync. And you didn't mention anywhere that UWP games later were able to not use Vsync.

shit

lol 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

8 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

No gameplay footage, bah. I hope it doesn't go in the visual style of AOE online and Civ VI.

agreed. I did not buy Civ 6 because of the fucking art style. No way that I will change my mind for Age 4

For those who played Patrician games

1:09 to 1:12 in the official trailer. Doesn't the background sound exactly like pirates boarding in Patrician III?

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

11 hours ago, themctipers said:

Windows 10 exclusive

so windows store? :( 

Oh God no

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Now I'm waiting for AoM 2. There is hope.  

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

4 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

What's wrong with Windows Store games (which are real games, not those mobile ones) ?

Its another platform you have to put money into when 95% of games are already on one platform that works phenomenally. Plus, Windows Store will never have the mod support that Steam gives. Plus it just looks ugly as hell

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

12 hours ago, dizmo said:

Super stoked on this, AoE was one of my all time favorite games.

Though Empire Earth, I'd say, had a bit of a better feel...

Either way. Definitely going to preorder this.

Empire Earth and Total Annihilation have the best intro cinematics of all time tbh, still give me shivers.

they just released a AoE2 remake a few years ago and they making another one?

will they add 4k textures this time around or wtf?

Yabadabadoo! Been waiting since 2005 for this! 

6 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Windows Store is in all copies of Windows 10. You're not having to do anything extra to keep it there.

It is?

*looks*

Nope, not part of my Windows 10.  Of course, that could be because I stripped it out with Powershell.

Just now, Jito463 said:

It is?

*looks*

Nope, not part of my Windows 10.  Of course, that could be because I stripped it out with Powershell.

By doing so, you are not elegible for Microsoft Support or any Windows support and you could potentially be causing more issues for yourself and others.

14 hours ago, themctipers said:

aren't those games limited to half vsync or 30fps on most people's monitor? 

Pretty sure that was fixed months ago

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

15 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

By doing so, you are not elegible for Microsoft Support or any Windows support and you could potentially be causing more issues for yourself and others.

I'll take that under advisement.

Nope, decided I still don't care.  And I fail to see how removing the store from my PC could possibly cause anyone else any issues.

2 minutes ago, shermantanker said:

Pretty sure that was fixed months ago

It was fixed in August 2016.

7 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

The same thing that was wrong with windows live games. The service sucks and it will eventually die (good riddance), leaving all games that use it unplayable unless they are rereleased on a sensible platform. There's no reason for it to exist.

24 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I uninstalled it, so far no problems. Since it does literally nothing of value, I think not supporting windows without it is a dick move by microsoft and is the result of desperation.

1 hour ago, apm said:

they just released a AoE2 remake a few years ago and they making another one?

will they add 4k textures this time around or wtf?

AoE2 HD is not a remake, it's just a patch that gives it a small visual uplift and allows for in-game online play as well as steam mods. A remake would hopefully have much better pathing and completely remade graphics - although honestly I think the original game still looks gorgeous, the 2D sprites have aged incredibly well, much better than any 3D game of the time. I would be content with modern pathing and better support for higher resolutions (the game doesn't scale with resolution so if you play at 4k you get microscopic units and see half the map).

7 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

That's worse in a lot of aspects. First, since it's baked in the OS good luck having it run on anything else - sure, in theory, as long as you're running windows 10 or newer that's not a problem, but we've seen windows live go the way of the dodo and I see no reason to expect anything different now. Steam and Battle.net can be easily ported to a new operating system and don't have arbitrary restrictions on older ones, plus many games from them can be played on linux through wine if you want to. can't do that with the windows store. In my opinion, a store should be platform agnostic and not bind something you bought to another product for arbitrary reasons.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

5 minutes ago, Sauron said:

The same thing that was wrong with windows live games. The service sucks and it will eventually die (good riddance), leaving all games that use it unplayable unless they are rereleased on a sensible platform. There's no reason for it to exist.

I uninstalled it, so far no problems. Since it does literally nothing of value, I think not supporting windows without it is a dick move by microsoft and is the result of desperation.

The Mail app and all default apps in WIndows 10 which are UWP apps require the store to be updated.

That's worse in a lot of aspects. First, since it's baked in the OS good luck having it run on anything else - sure, in theory, as long as you're running windows 10 or newer that's not a problem, but we've seen windows live go the way of the dodo and I see no reason to expect anything different now. Steam and Battle.net can be easily ported to a new operating system and don't have arbitrary restrictions on older ones, plus many games from them can be played on linux through wine if you want to. can't do that with the windows store. In my opinion, a store should be platform agnostic and not bind something you bought to another product for arbitrary reasons.

I don't disagree. I just think that the argument for removing Windows Store and/or complaining that they have to have Steam or Origin and then complaining about Windows Store being there seems a little weird.

Yes, ideally a store should be platform agnostic where developers have APIs and SDKs to easily develop cross platform apps or games along with suitable amounts of documentation.

Most digital storefronts don't do that. Some come close like Steam and GOG supporting Windows, Mac and Linux but generally they provide poor documentation on making cross platform apps or games along with little to no information on risks vs benefits for different types of developers and targeting different OSes and pricing etc.

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

The Mail app and all default apps in WIndows 10 which are UWP apps require the store to be updated.

Good thing that I don't use any of them, nor do I need to since I can use normal desktop programs to do the same things (probably better).

3 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Most digital storefronts don't do that. Some come close like Steam and GOG supporting Windows, Mac and Linux but generally they provide poor documentation on making cross platform apps or games along with little to no information on risks vs benefits for different types of developers and targeting different OSes and pricing etc.

Of course I don't condone this behaviour from any storefront, but out of the bunch the windows store is the worst. It is the only one that only works on windows 10 AND it places restrictions on some features the game can have, simply because of how app sandboxing works. While Steam is not perfect, I think on this front it is commendable - sure, documentation may not be great, but at least it clearly shows the customer what will run on their platform and has a proper client on both mac and linux. Besides I think most studios would have no problem figuring out how to develop for linux if they really wanted to.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

32 minutes ago, Sauron said:

AoE2 HD is not a remake, it's just a patch that gives it a small visual uplift and allows for in-game online play as well as steam mods. A remake would hopefully have much better pathing and completely remade graphics - although honestly I think the original game still looks gorgeous, the 2D sprites have aged incredibly well, much better than any 3D game of the time. I would be content with modern pathing and better support for higher resolutions (the game doesn't scale with resolution so if you play at 4k you get microscopic units and see half the map).

thats what a remake is in my book.

6 minutes ago, apm said:

thats what a remake is in my book.

A remake is when the game is re-developed from scratch.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Really excited to see this. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

3 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Which makes removing the Store even more of a win-win.  I don't need any of the "apps" in Windows 10, as I have actual programs that do a much better job.  Mail?  I use webmail (or I could install Thunderbird) and I can access it through my phone.  Weather?  I also have that on my phone and I have the Windows 7 gadgets enabled in 10, which allows me to get the weather through one of them.  Quite frankly, I can't think of a single Windows 10 app that I care about.

Awesome. Just please don't make it some kind of cartoony arcadey game like Civ VI. We don't need TBS or RTS versions of those stupid free-to-play mobile games.