Bye Bye SLI

Nosfy

So since I started building my own pc's (not that long) I have always had SLI set ups.

This weekend I made the decision to sell both my 1080's and get a 1080ti.

Have I made the wrong choice? Is SLI still even worth it?

CPU - i7 8700K / Motherboard - ROG Strix Z370 E/ RAM - 32GB Cosair Vengeance DDR / GPU  - GTX 1080ti - EVGA FTW3 / PSU - Seasonic Snow Silent 750W / Cooling - Cryorig H7 Monitor - Acer X34 Predator / Sound - Corsair Void - Case - Meshify C

1 minute ago, Nosfy said:

So since I started building my own pc's (not that long) I have always had SLI set ups.

If the games you play don't properly support SLi then it's worth it. 

Otherwise two 1080s destroys the 1080 Ti and Titan Xp. 

You try the power and heat argument too but eh. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

SLI is okay if you can deal with issues and games that don't support it, but single cards perform better with less hassle. If you watercool though, SLI looks cooler. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

3 minutes ago, Nosfy said:

i personally think 1 newer, faster gpu is better.

if the games you play can utilise SLI then it's worth it. if not, whats the point.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

I only find SLI worthwhile if you are pairing high end cards and it's relatively early in the GPU's life time where the performance will have the most value. Otherwise I find there are too many drawbacks to SLI (or CrossFire for that matter) that it's not worth considering otherwise.

Been finding that on games I play the second card is not doing a lot other than adding to the heat in the case.

Never ran a single card before so will see how I get on. I guess there is always the option to add another 1080ti.

CPU - i7 8700K / Motherboard - ROG Strix Z370 E/ RAM - 32GB Cosair Vengeance DDR / GPU  - GTX 1080ti - EVGA FTW3 / PSU - Seasonic Snow Silent 750W / Cooling - Cryorig H7 Monitor - Acer X34 Predator / Sound - Corsair Void - Case - Meshify C

Yea i went from having SLI system with every build to 1 1080ti and its the best choice for myself. Ive never found SLI having any problems in the past apart from a few games. But i made the right choice for myself. The fps you get from one 1080ti is enough for any games these days in 1080p or 1440p hell its ok for 4k as well most of the time. 

I've actually been waiting for a card that smokes my 980 TI SLI setup. So far, a 1080TI only matches the performance, so there is barely an upgrade path for me at the moment (I do not want to continue the SLI track).

My next setup will still have two cards, but I will be using one card for multimonitor and rendering while the primary card will drive gaming and the 1440P monitor (don't need 4k, yet, happy with 3440x1440).

Been finding that on games I play the second card is not doing a lot other than adding to the heat in the case.

Never ran a single card before so will see how I get on. I guess there is always the option to add another 1080ti.

If the second 1080 sat and did nothing, why add another 1080 Ti which will also sit and do nothing? 

Doesn't really make much sense. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

6 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Otherwise two 1080s destroys the 1080 Ti and Titan Xp. 

+10fps ish on average isn't exactly destroying in my opinion.

Taking into count how some games aren't SLI ready also the 1080ti is better quite regardlessly over all.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Just now, AManWithPlan said:

I've actually been waiting for a card that smokes my 980 TI SLI setup. So far, a 1080TI only matches the performance, so there is barely an upgrade path for me at the moment (I do not want to continue the SLI track).

My next setup will still have two cards, but I will be using one card for multimonitor and rendering while the primary card will drive gaming and the 1440P monitor (don't need 4k, yet, happy with 3440x1440).

Yeah im not that bothered about 4k to be honest. Happy with my X34 Predator.

1 minute ago, DildorTheDecent said:

If the second 1080 sat and did nothing, why add another 1080 Ti which will also sit and do nothing? 

Doesn't really make much sense. 

I just mean.. the option is there, if for whatever reason I am not happy with the single Ti. Cant see that happening.

Yeah im not that bothered about 4k to be honest. Happy with my X34 Predator.

Yup, that is my monitor as well. You ever get this start up issue with it where the speakers just go berzerk and emit a whole bunch of bloodcurdling noise, then stop?

Yup, that is my monitor as well. You ever get this start up issue with it where the speakers just go berzerk and emit a whole bunch of bloodcurdling noise, then stop?

Happy to say that not... that sounds horrible :S

Just now, Nosfy said:

Happy to say that not... that sounds horrible :S

It was my 3rd monitor (two warranty exchanges). It looks like Acer had a whole bunch of trouble utilizing the LG panels to meet demand on time (it was the first GSYNC-capable 100fps monitor at that resolution). As long as this issue only occurs sometimes and nothing is breaking, I'll live with it, I don't use those speakers anyway, I can just open the monitor and disconnect them electrically.

It was my 3rd monitor (two warranty exchanges). It looks like Acer had a whole bunch of trouble utilizing the LG panels to meet demand on time (it was the first GSYNC-capable 100fps monitor at that resolution). As long as this issue only occurs sometimes and nothing is breaking, I'll live with it, I don't use those speakers anyway, I can just open the monitor and disconnect them electrically.

At the risk of sounding like a dumbass, I didn't even realise the x34 had speakers. Always use a headset.

14 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

+10fps ish on average isn't exactly destroying in my opinion.

Taking into count how some games aren't SLI ready also the 1080ti is better quite regardlessly over all.

ROTR and The Division are known to suck for SLi. GTA V and DiRT Rally are the only decent titles their that have some support past just adding a profile. 

Two 1080s can destroy in a variety of other workloads, not just gaming. 

Combined PPD and mining sol/s. Synthetic benchmarks. Renders. 

Although since SLi is "dying" one card is most likely better until DX12 Multi GPU sorts itself out. 

Just now, DildorTheDecent said:

Two 1080s can destroy in a variety of other workloads, not just gaming. 

Combined PPD and mining sol/s. Synthetic benchmarks. Renders.

OP stated that gaming is his only interest so "destroying" on CUDA Acceleration and such doesn't change much for him :P

Any ways, I am in no way trying to buy an argue here, I have nothing against SLI on the high end, I just think it's dumb with 1070's and such.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)