Interesting Intel Coffee Lake & AMD RX Vega News

That_PC_Kid
8 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

If you increase your core count 50% why would you not expect your multi-core performance to increase by 51%?

Didn't realize they were doubling the core count.

Still kind of pissed that the new shit won't support Z270, although I shouldn't be surprised. It's Intel. Might have to build a TR system for the fuck of it, and just sell this CPU and MOBO on Ebay.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

6 hours ago, Orangeator said:

But to professionals, is a little less performance (were talking seconds in video editing, maybe a minute or two with larger exports) worth the hundreds of more dollars? Not to mention that's hundreds more just for the CPU, not including the well Intel taxed motherboards... 

Depends on the size of the organization.  What a lot of people seem to overlook is that a $5000 over 2 years is a drop in the ocean for many businesses.   So when considering a half dozen rendering machines, slicing a few seconds per run or even just maintaining software/hardware compatability in server environs and support is well worth it. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

10 hours ago, That_PC_Kid said:

Intel Coffee Lake price leaked. i7-8700K priced at $484 CAD (384 USD).

New insight on the RX Vega price confusion.

Intel Core i3-8350K 4C/4T

Intel Core i5-8600K 6C/6T

Intel Core i7-8700K 6C/12T

Screenshot_20170820-185850.thumb.png.c93eb8ee62fdca36f1c909292639c035.png

Intel Core i7-8700K is going to have a 11% increase on single-core performance and 51% increase on multi-core performance compared to the i7-7700K.

Intel plans on using B360 because of AMD stealing the B350 chipset name.

What are your thoughts on this news?

The picture has to be BS because I remember seeing the i3-7350K having a 60W TDP, not a 95W TDP, as stated on Intel ARK. Therefore I do not completely trust this leak. Also, I would expect the i3s to have less than a 50% boost in multi threaded performance because multi THREADED is largely determined by the number of threads a processor has (correct me if I'm wrong!). Because the thread count from the 7350K to the alleged 8350K is 4 to 4 respectively, there shouldn't be over a 50% increase in multi threaded performance. Now, yes, it's possible to get larger than a 40% boost, only if the transistor count increases, core count increases, or some internal clocks increases. This 65% multi threaded boost is not what I would consider a legitimate claim, because the whole picture has lots of false info on the i3 portion. Also, the i3-7100 has a 51W TDP, not a 65W TDP, as stated on Intel ARK.

40 minutes ago, Berfs1 said:

The picture has to be BS because I remember seeing the i3-7350K having a 60W TDP, not a 95W TDP, as stated on Intel ARK. Therefore I do not completely trust this leak. Also, I would expect the i3s to have less than a 50% boost in multi threaded performance because multi THREADED is largely determined by the number of threads a processor has (correct me if I'm wrong!). Because the thread count from the 7350K to the alleged 8350K is 4 to 4 respectively, there shouldn't be over a 50% increase in multi threaded performance. Now, yes, it's possible to get larger than a 40% boost, only if the transistor count increases, core count increases, or some internal clocks increases. This 65% multi threaded boost is not what I would consider a legitimate claim, because the whole picture has lots of false info on the i3 portion. Also, the i3-7100 has a 51W TDP, not a 65W TDP, as stated on Intel ARK.

Kaby i3 have 2 cores, coffee i3 have 4 cores, they should have 100% increase in multithreaded performance.That i3 k model is unlocked which is why it has 95w tdp just like kaby lake i3 k.

I'm after a six-core CPU and GTX 1070 performance under water. I have this wierd thing against pairing Nvidia GPU's with AMD CPU's so I have two options:

1. i7 8700k and GTX 1060 then upgrade to a second hand 1080Ti later (EK's Aluminium GPU block will fit both and this allows me to bypass the GTX 1070's mining prices).

2. R5 1600 and the money I save by buying that goes into making up the difference against the inflated price of RX Vega 56.

It really is going to come down to just how pricey the i7 comes in at. As the RX Vega 56 is actually £100 over what it's meant to be I'd be willing to go up to around £300 for the i7.

16 hours ago, Armakar said:

tbh, the massive ipc difference and huge clock boost of the 8700K probs means i'll end up taking the 8700k, even at double the price. Better platform, better chips; value only goes so far and i'm willing to pay that price for a great 6 core chip, it's better value then the crappy 7700K that's for sure.

However, I think the vast majority of people aren't willing to spend £400 on a 6c/12t chip when the 1600 exists, so hopefully Intel take a beating in market share again and cut the price down to atleast £300.

That is what will probably happen, milk the first month or two then have a sudden 20% price drop.

22 hours ago, porina said:

Who stole what now? Intel had a scheme going, that AMD let's say were heavily inspired by it picking numerical values of the next gen Intel, thus forcing Intel to pick a different number to avoid confusion that AMD intentionally started.

He was being sarcastic :D

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

11 hours ago, Daiyus said:

I'm after a six-core CPU and GTX 1070 performance under water. I have this wierd thing against pairing Nvidia GPU's with AMD CPU's so I have two options:

1. i7 8700k and GTX 1060 then upgrade to a second hand 1080Ti later (EK's Aluminium GPU block will fit both and this allows me to bypass the GTX 1070's mining prices).

2. R5 1600 and the money I save by buying that goes into making up the difference against the inflated price of RX Vega 56.

It really is going to come down to just how pricey the i7 comes in at. As the RX Vega 56 is actually £100 over what it's meant to be I'd be willing to go up to around £300 for the i7.

I know of no issues with having an AMD cpu and Nvidia gpu.

That being said I have a 7700k and a 1080 ti lol. Bout to build a threadripper system and abandon Intel for good. If they're going to make me buy a new motherboard every time then they aren't worth the cost. I might have wanted to upgrade this system 5 years from now, but wait, I can't, because Intel said so I have to basically buy a new machine.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

On 8/20/2017 at 11:29 PM, RotoCoreOne said:

That i5 8400 pricing looks damn good. if the clock speed comes close to 4ghz man it'll be a hard decision between this and the 1600x

I think the i5-8400 will be clocked at 2.8 GHz.

17 hours ago, Daiyus said:

1. i7 8700k and GTX 1060 then upgrade to a second hand 1080Ti later (EK's Aluminium GPU block will fit both and this allows me to bypass the GTX 1070's mining prices)

I would wait. Even the i5 would be a better choice than the R5 if performance of the current i5 vs R5 is anything to go by. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

On 8/21/2017 at 5:12 AM, MyName13 said:

Kaby i3 have 2 cores, coffee i3 have 4 cores, they should have 100% increase in multithreaded performance.That i3 k model is unlocked which is why it has 95w tdp just like kaby lake i3 k.

The Kaby Lake i3 is rated at 60W as stated in Intel ARK.