IS NVIDIA RUINING YOUR PERFORMANCE?

Rumors of NVIDIA's planned obsolescence have been around forever but now we finally investigate.

Buy NVIDIA Graphics Cards: 
Amazon: http://geni.us/FynNMSn
Newegg: http://geni.us/JhScB

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

nah.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

I still have a card that barely gets 50 fps. In MINECRAFT. With low settings. I don't think performance is my top priority. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

3 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

I still have a card that barely gets 50 fps. In MINECRAFT. With low settings. I don't think performance is my top priority. 

Minecraft uses mostly cpu and not gpu.

My Rig

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600@3.8ghz          GPU - XFX XXX RX580 8g          Cooler - Arctic Freezer 33 eSports edition green          Motherboard - Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3          Ram -  G.Skill 2x8 Ripjaws 5 2666                   Case - Pahntecs P400s TGE Modded with Green accents          PSU - Seasonic M1211 evo 620w          SSD - Samsung 960 evo 500 GB          HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 2tb       

Fans - 2 be quiet SilentWings 3         OS - Windows 10 Home 64-Bit         Cables - Cable Mod Green Cable Extension

Peripherals

Mouse - Logitech G502          Keyboard - k95 Platinum Brown          Headset - Philips SHP9500s + Vmoda Boom Pro          Monitor - LG 29UM69GB

Webcam - USB webcam for Wii Fitness game xD

2 minutes ago, TheGleaner said:

Why all caps though?

THAT'S HOW YOUTUBE WORKS NOW MY DUDE. IF IT ISN'T ALL CAPS THEN IN THE BIN IT GOES

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

1 minute ago, DildorTheDecent said:

THAT'S HOW YOUTUBE WORKS NOW MY DUDE. IF IT ISN'T ALL CAPS THEN IN THE BIN IT GOES

I just picture linus yelling this on the street, and people looking at him like he's crazy...

Edit: so no wonder why tq and csf isn't as popular.

Here's something specific that I was able to replicate - GTX670 stock speeds with almost any game that does mid-range usage on one monitor and even something as simple as a 720p Youtube video on the other monitor. 38x.xx drivers will cause stuttering. Not sure where it started, but I know for sure the 361.75 driver works wonderfully. I can confirm this is not a hardware-specific issue because a friend with a GTX660 and different CPU/RAM/etc experiences the same problem.

8 minutes ago, Falconevo said:

Why is the video unlisted :o?

While we are getting the video description and stuff ready, the forum peeps get a litte "early access".

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

27 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

I think it's something wrong with your computer, I used to run minecraft at around 60fps with a 8200m (which is motherboard integrated graphics) and ran at 400mhz.

1 hour ago, IanLuminus said:

Here's something specific that I was able to replicate - GTX670 stock speeds with almost any game that does mid-range usage on one monitor and even something as simple as a 720p Youtube video on the other monitor. 38x.xx drivers will cause stuttering. Not sure where it started, but I know for sure the 361.75 driver works wonderfully. I can confirm this is not a hardware-specific issue because a friend with a GTX660 and different CPU/RAM/etc experiences the same problem.

It may not had been deliberate though, more like driver development team shifting their priorities somewhere else. Does this go for all of 38x.xx driver line, or did it get fixed with another driver update? In which case, if NVidia really broke the performance for example by requiring cards to have newer features in hardware, they should recommend older working drivers for download rather than new. Which also means there won't be optimizations for new games and ... yeah, obsoleting the card.

I clearly remembered my GTX780's performance tanked a bit after the gtx970 launch. 

In the same game. (battlefield 4) 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

2 minutes ago, SanityAgathion said:

It may not had been deliberate though, more like driver development team shifting their priorities somewhere else. Does this go for all of 38x.xx driver line, or did it get fixed with another driver update? In which case, if NVidia really broke the performance for example by requiring cards to have newer features in hardware, they should recommend older working drivers for download rather than new.

I tried about four different driver sets before going back to the 361.75, all in the late 37x.xx-mid38x.xx line. At first, I attributed it to a Windows 10 thing. Then saw it continue to happen when I reinstalled 7. From what I can find on the googles, this is an issue affecting all pre-Pascel cards.

Small note, it was NOT due to the GPU hitting 100% usage.. was happening even under the 915MHz clock (700-750MHz autoclock) and 40-50% usage.

1 hour ago, mrchow19910319 said:

I clearly remembered my GTX780's performance tanked a bit after the gtx970 launch. 

In the same game. (battlefield 4) 

Please do benchmarks with both drivers and then share your results.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Just now, cesrai said:

Please do benchmarks with both drivers and then share your results.

nah... i dont own a 780 right now and not even a gaming desktop/

sold those long time ago.sorry

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

Personally i think this is true on both sides, i have a XFX R9 380 4gb. I got overwatch roughly around christmas time, i was able to play 1080p epic settings with temps sitting around 78-84c and running around 100fps, here in the past 3 months ish, one of the driver updates that were supposed to improve performance actually reduced my performance due to thermal throttling. i've had to step my settings back to ultra just to keep it from hitting 100c, the game settles around 96-98c at all times without stuttering. when it hit 100c it stuttered real bad. Ive also had to step back from the 17.7.2 driver because it was crashing during games and anytime the screen sent to sleep just sitting on the desktop. so 17.7.1 saves the day till they fix the 17.7.2.

Managed to dig up an article I read over a year ago

They compared the 780 ti, 290x, and Titan using drivers from 2013 and 2016. I feel like this shows the full picture much better than what Linus offered:

780tiVs290xVsTitan-driver-c-1.jpg

I did some calculations, I disregarded the Secret World and Metro Last Light as they were oddballs. Secret world didn't work on the 2016 AMD drivers, and AMD specifically optimized Metro Last light's benchmark tool (actual ingame performance was not improved that much).

Here's my numbers:

From 2013 to 2016:

780 Ti improved 2.9%

290X improved 7.2%

Relatively:

In 2013, 780 ti was 12.7% better than 290x

In 2016, 780 ti was 8.4% better than 290x

Personally, I don't think this is a big deal. Feels like a win-win to both 780 Ti and 290X users. If you bought a 780 Ti at a premium over the 290X, you can still be happy that your card is outperforming the 290X. if you bought a 290X, you're getting a bit more out of your card, but not enough to beat the 780 ti. 

And really, is a few percent performance difference that important? I rather them improve the stability of the drivers, or even offer more neat features (such like shadowplay).

Just buy whatever suits you best now, and enjoy your card!

The only problem is that lots and lots of people allow Geforce Experience to update the driver and that is the complication, it leaves tons of left overs that break the performance, if every one would DDU in safe mode before updating to the latest driver there wouldn't any issues.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

16 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

The only problem is that lots and lots of people allow Geforce Experience to update the driver and that is the complication, it leaves tons of left overs that break the performance, if every one would DDU in safe mode before updating to the latest driver there wouldn't any issues.

This is perhaps another claim that should be investigated.  I'm sure that people will give lots of anecdotal stories but stuff like this is about doing the opposite, doing concrete testing to see if something is happening or if it's the subjective experience of the user.

To me, the idea seems silly.  Files are used or they are not used.  The idea that unused files have an influence on used files and the performance of the data in those files is ridiculous but I'd be interested in seeing objective testing done on the concept.  It'd be easy enough replicate.  Install a driver, reboot, bench, install a newer driver, reboot, bench, and so on.  Stacking driver installations atop each other the whole way.  Then get a clean installation for both the oldest and newest driver versions used and compare the two sets of data.

On 8/16/2017 at 1:35 PM, Jamiec1130 said:

I topped you I get 4 fps in Minecraft 

QUOTE ME TO SEE MY REPLY!:D

On 8/17/2017 at 8:16 AM, crystal6tak said:

SNIP

The problem is that you chose a chart with only old games in it, here's one with newer ones (a.k.a. more relevant one):

780tiVs290xVsTitan-FIX.jpg?w=921

That is when Maxwell came out and Nvidia stopped giving a damn about Kepler and you can clearly see the pattern. They stopped optimizing for new games and the performance is bad compared to competing cards from the same era.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

On 8/21/2017 at 6:43 PM, ScrappyZeDog said:

I topped you I get 4 fps in Minecraft 

I didn't mention my main laptop. It gets 1. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2