Rate my build (Warning: X299 platform)

Morgoth97

Hello forum,

I'm planning to start building my first PC (for gaming and some CAD) by the end of the week and I was wondering if I was missing anything essential or perhaps you'd like to criticize me for my choice of platform? 

Also, any tips would be appreciated.

P.S

Yes, I do have a monitor and others essential peripherals, tools and tube bending tools. 

Laptop: MacBook Pro 13" (Early 2015) || Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus x299 Gaming 9 || CPU: Intel i7-7820x (38% OC- 5.00 GHz) || RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB 8GB @ 3466 MHz (x4)- DDR4  || GPU: MSI  Geforce GTX 1080 Ti Lightning X || Storage: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 500GB || OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro || Chassis: Thermaltake The Tower 900 || Cooling Solution: Custom open loop water cooling system with a 560mm radiator and a CPU water water-block || Display: ROG Swift PG279Q || Pointing Device: Razer Mamba (2016) || Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 || Headset: Astro A50 Wireless ||

As far as I'm concerned, I don't believe that X299 is worth the premium over Ryzen. The Ryzen 7 1800X would definitely be a little slower, but you would save a significant amount of money. You could also consider Threadripper as well if thats your thing. Also, considering you're looking into such an expensive platform, what are you using the rig for? I ask because the CPU/board choice is complete overkill for just gaming. 

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Well you are going to need one really nice cpu cooler too cool that thing. I honestly wouldn't suggest going with a i7 7700k build if you just want to game as the 8 core you are getting is way overkill.

I think going for a 1700 would be a better choice. Swap the ssd for a sata one (no need for NVMe), don't get the lightning for the gpu since that's mainly for ln2 and psu is overkill.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Threadripper is just around the corner if you really need the cores otherwise stick with Ryzen 7. X299 will give you a lot of headache with all the issues it has.

Your build lacks a cpu cooler. However, i'd recommend a ryzen 1600 or 1700, both have stock coolers, and a b350 mobo, for a waaay lower price. You can also add in HDDs for more storage.

You're all brining up Ryzen but fail to realize that Ryzen was never designed for gaming. 

Maybe at least with the 7820x, I can achieve the same single core performance as a 7700k and still not comrimise core counts in case I need them.

If you scrolled down in the parts list you'll see I've dedicated a 560mm Radiator just for the furnace that is x299.

I reckon I can easily hit 4.9 GHz and maybe 5 Ghz depending on how lucky I got with the CPU.

I'm planning to delid the CPU when tools become available to do it more safely and I'll get a monoblock to avoid VRM throttling, I'm expecting 5.2 GHz performance then. 

Edited by Morgoth97
Grammar fix

Laptop: MacBook Pro 13" (Early 2015) || Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus x299 Gaming 9 || CPU: Intel i7-7820x (38% OC- 5.00 GHz) || RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB 8GB @ 3466 MHz (x4)- DDR4  || GPU: MSI  Geforce GTX 1080 Ti Lightning X || Storage: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 500GB || OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro || Chassis: Thermaltake The Tower 900 || Cooling Solution: Custom open loop water cooling system with a 560mm radiator and a CPU water water-block || Display: ROG Swift PG279Q || Pointing Device: Razer Mamba (2016) || Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 || Headset: Astro A50 Wireless ||

1 minute ago, Colexd said:

Your build lacks a cpu cooler. However, i'd recommend a ryzen 1600 or 1700, both have stock coolers, and a b350 mobo, for a waaay lower price. You can also add in HDDs for more storage.

I'm building a custom water loop with a 560mm Radiator just for the CPU.

4 minutes ago, light-v said:

Threadripper is just around the corner if you really need the cores otherwise stick with Ryzen 7. X299 will give you a lot of headache with all the issues it has.

That's just inevitable with new platforms. I wouldn't be surprised if threadripper has a few problems (much less than x299 as it wasn't rushed). 

1 minute ago, Morgoth97 said:

I'm building a custom water loop with a 560mm Radiator just for the CPU.

My bad, I didnt notice that part.

Guys, stop bringing up Ryzen 7, it wasn't designed for gaming which is my primary use.

I'm building a custom water loop and the Ryzen platform just don't benefit from water cooling. 

Guys, stop bringing up Ryzen 7, it wasn't designed for gaming which is my primary use.

I'm building a custom water loop and the Ryzen platform just don't benefit from water cooling. 

Actually, it was.  It was just also designed to stream at the same time.

Ryzen was designed to game, it's just that wasn't it's main focus, it's one of the many goals AMD was trying to achieve though.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

3 minutes ago, Morgoth97 said:

Just get a 7700K then. Anything higher is a waste of money if you are primarily gaming. Skylake-X isn't that great in gaming compared to Broadwell-E.

1 minute ago, light-v said:

Just get a 7700K then. Anything higher is a waste of money if you are primarily gaming. Skylake-X isn't that great in gaming compared to Broadwell-E.

True. Either get ryzen or the 7700k for gaming.

1 minute ago, light-v said:

This.  Or if you need 8 cores and you insist on Intel only, go X99, this way you also aren't limited on your PCIe lanes like with Skylake/Kaby Lake X

5 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

This.  Or if you need 8 cores and you insist on Intel only, go X99, this way you also aren't limited on your PCIe lanes like with Skylake/Kaby Lake X

Hence I got a premium board, it has everything I need integrated, I honestly don't think I need that many PCIE lanes because at most I'd run a dual SLI config. 

You're forgetting the fact that the 600 USD CPU on x299 performs just as well as the top tier CPU in x99 that's priced at 1500 USD.

3 minutes ago, Morgoth97 said:

Hence I got a premium board, it has everything I need integrated, I honestly don't think I need that many PCIE lanes because at most I'd run a dual SLI config. 

You're forgetting the fact that the 600 USD CPU on x299 performs just as well as the top tier CPU in x99 that's priced at 1500 USD.

It doesn't matter what board you got, the PCIe lanes are limited on the CPU.

You're only getting 28 PCIe lanes with the CPU you've chosen regardless of what motherboard you get.

I'm only mentioning this since you're adamant on an enthusiast platform.

9 minutes ago, Morgoth97 said:

For 600$ I think it's pretty lame for a HEDT cpu 

6 minutes ago, light-v said:

For 600$ I think it's pretty lame for a HEDT cpu 

That video doesn't take into account that 7820x can be overclocked much higher than the Ryzen line up. 

9 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

It doesn't matter what board you got, the PCIe lanes are limited on the CPU.

You're only getting 28 PCIe lanes with the CPU you've chosen regardless of what motherboard you get.

I'm only mentioning this since you're adamant on an enthusiast platform.

What I mean is that I don't need to get a sound card as the motherboard features a top tier sound drive  or a wireless card nor a M.2 PCIE adapter.

On 28 lanes I can run one 16x GPU and one 8x GPU and the difference between 16X and 8X is mairgainly small. 

That video doesn't take into account that 7820x can be overclocked much higher than the Ryzen line up. 

It does show overclocked performance regardless. The results speaks for themselves you need to overclock to 4.5GHz (without considering VRM thermals and raw power consumption) to match a previous gen CPU at 4GHz and that is lame to me.

I feel like you're just a die hard Intel fan at this point, not that I have anything against that but it's just something to note.

Also building a custom loop as a first time builder is a bad idea on itself. Just sayin'

10 minutes ago, Morgoth97 said:

What I mean is that I don't need to get a sound card as the motherboard features a top tier sound drive  or a wireless card nor a M.2 PCIE adapter.

On 28 lanes I can run one 16x GPU and one 8x GPU and the difference between 16X and 8X is mairgainly small. 

You missed my point.  My point is why buy a product that is purposefully gimped.  Regardless of needing those features or not, you're telling Intel it's okay to screw over the consumer.

2 minutes ago, light-v said:

It does show overclocked performance regardless. The results speaks for themselves you need to overclock to 4.5GHz (without considering VRM thermals and raw power consumption) to match a previous gen CPU at 4GHz and that is lame to me.

I feel like you're just a die hard Intel fan at this point, not that I have anything against that but it's just something to note.

Also building a custom loop as a first time builder is a bad idea on itself. Just sayin'

As far as I'm aware, the CPU's thermal paste is a throttling point for over clocking way before the VRM starts to throttle performance and we're taking about 5.1 GHz.

I'm not a die hard intel fan, I'm just not price elastic to care that 1700 is a better value CPU. 

On your concern for my first time custom loop. I appreciate your concern but I've thought about it and my cousin who's experienced with hardline tubing said he'd guide me through the proces so no worries.

1 hour ago, DocSwag said:

I think going for a 1700 would be a better choice. Swap the ssd for a sata one (no need for NVMe), don't get the lightning for the gpu since that's mainly for ln2 and psu is overkill.

MSI Lightning actually sports the best thermals for air cooled 1080 Ti (obviously because it's triple slot) and I also find it very appealing and hence fitting in my showcase styled Chassis. 

I've chosen 7820x over 1700 simply because the frequency is much better when water cooled in a custom water loop. Also, I wouldn't consider myself price elastic.

I chose an NVME SSD over a Sata 3 one for multiple reasons:

1- It's much faster and I'll get better boot times.

2- It's more future proof.

3- I plan to run more NVME SSDs so I'd get noticeably much faster transfer rates between them.

4- I don't have to hassle over wires.

5- It's looks more impressive on paper.