Rate my build (Warning: X299 platform)

Morgoth97

At this rate I might have to rename my title 7820x vs Ryzen 1700 or Threadripper.

Laptop: MacBook Pro 13" (Early 2015) || Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus x299 Gaming 9 || CPU: Intel i7-7820x (38% OC- 5.00 GHz) || RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB 8GB @ 3466 MHz (x4)- DDR4  || GPU: MSI  Geforce GTX 1080 Ti Lightning X || Storage: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 500GB || OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro || Chassis: Thermaltake The Tower 900 || Cooling Solution: Custom open loop water cooling system with a 560mm radiator and a CPU water water-block || Display: ROG Swift PG279Q || Pointing Device: Razer Mamba (2016) || Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 || Headset: Astro A50 Wireless ||

2 hours ago, Morgoth97 said:

At this rate I might have to rename my title 7820x vs Ryzen 1700 or Threadripper.

IDK why, you did ask us to rate it and for help

3 hours ago, Morgoth97 said:

Hello forum,

I'm planning to start building my first PC (for gaming and some CAD) by the end of the week and I was wondering if I was missing anything essential or perhaps you'd like to criticize me for my choice of platform? 

Also, any tips would be appreciated.

P.S

Yes, I do have a monitor and others essential peripherals, tools and tube bending tools. 

People rated your build and gave you tips on what would probably be better for your use-case.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

X299 = Burn your money on both setup and electricity bills

X370-F Strix + R7 1800X = save a few bucks on both setup and bills

Also, why the fuck are people so concerned about numbers, higher frequency doesnt automatically mean higher performance as hardware unboxed has shown, if you get Ryzen 7 1800X, Strix X370-F mobo and 32 gigs (2*16) of 3200MHz DDR4, you can do much better than your current setup

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

8 hours ago, kaiju_wars said:

-Snip-

I haven't received any feedback apart from people telling me that my build isn't cost effective which I totally agree; it is overkill which is exactly my goal. 

My my main purpose was gaming so I really don't understand why people even mention 1700 or 1800x; they're purely for content creating and given the price range it's unfair to compare Ryzen 7 to X299. I think Threadripper would be a better comparison especially (AMD)1900x vs (Intel)7820x.

Ryzen 7 compromises single core performance to stay in the low price range which (sorry for being captain obvious) appeals to most people who are price elastic.

Perhaps if Threadripper was announced before I purchased my x299 platform I might have considered it but I didn't expect high performance CPUs from AMD.

Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate constructive criticism which could potentially be useful  when I decide to upgrade in the future.

Laptop: MacBook Pro 13" (Early 2015) || Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus x299 Gaming 9 || CPU: Intel i7-7820x (38% OC- 5.00 GHz) || RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB 8GB @ 3466 MHz (x4)- DDR4  || GPU: MSI  Geforce GTX 1080 Ti Lightning X || Storage: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 500GB || OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro || Chassis: Thermaltake The Tower 900 || Cooling Solution: Custom open loop water cooling system with a 560mm radiator and a CPU water water-block || Display: ROG Swift PG279Q || Pointing Device: Razer Mamba (2016) || Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 || Headset: Astro A50 Wireless ||

8 hours ago, dave_k said:

X299 = Burn your money on both setup and electricity bills

X370-F Strix + R7 1800X = save a few bucks on both setup and bills

Also, why the fuck are people so concerned about numbers, higher frequency doesnt automatically mean higher performance as hardware unboxed has shown, if you get Ryzen 7 1800X, Strix X370-F mobo and 32 gigs (2*16) of 3200MHz DDR4, you can do much better than your current setup

Wrong, he showed that 1800x will outperform the 7820x in performance per dollar. 

Granted the 7820x has a longer latency than the 1800x because of he mesh architecture but I don't see myself using software that's sensitive to CPU latency.

Hold on, I do believe games are sensitive to core frequency so the higher it is, the better the frame rate unless you're overclocking incorrectly where the CPU is suspectible to thermal throttling. Or am I wrong?

Just now, Morgoth97 said:

I haven't received any feedback apart from people telling me that my build isn't cost effective which I totally agree; it is overkill which is exactly my goal. 

My my main purpose was gaming so I really don't understand why people even mention 1700 or 1800x; they're purely for content creating and given the price range it's unfair to compare Ryzen 7 to X299. I think Threadripper would be a better comparison especially (AMD)1900x vs (Intel)7820x.

Ryzen 7 compromises single core performance to stay in the low price range which (sorry for being captain obvious) appeals to most people who are price elastic.

Perhaps if Threadripper was announced before I purchased my x299 platform I might have considered it but I didn't expect high performance CPUs from AMD.

Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate constructive criticism which could potentially be useful  when I decide to upgrade in the future.

Because Ryzen was designed for gaming, but it wasn't designed for only gaming.

Also AMD never actually compromised any single core performance.  They weren't trying to beat Intel.  They made it very clear they were looking for 40% IPC gains over Bulldozer.  

They beat that. (IIRC, they got 52% IPC gains).

As a result, Ryzen is a much better value than competing Intel chips at the moment, especially if you plan to game and anything else.  (For example, streaming.  Which LTT proved AMD's claim of only needing Ryzen 7 to stream actually true).

That's why people are recommending Ryzen.

Also, if gaming is your main focus, and that's what you'll do 99.99% of the time.  Go with an i7 7700K. It's honestly all you'll need, and it's the best gaming only chip out right now.

Honestly, best advice, regardless... don't go X299.  It doesn't matter if you'll never need more PCIe lanes.  Purposefully gimping a platform based on how much you spent on a CPU is a very shitty thing to do.

Either go with an i7 7700K if gaming truly is your main focus, or wait for Threadripper if you want an enthusiast platform.

That's the best advice.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

6 minutes ago, Morgoth97 said:

Wrong, he showed that 1800x will outperform the 7820x in performance per dollar. 

Granted the 7820x has a longer latency than the 1800x because of he mesh architecture but I don't see myself using software that's sensitive to CPU latency.

Hold on, I do believe games are sensitive to core frequency so the higher it is, the better the frame rate unless you're overclocking incorrectly where the CPU is suspectible to thermal throttling. Or am I wrong?

Modern games like Prey are well optimized, they spread the load between multiple cores, so you might get better performance with more cores rather than frequencies

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

19 hours ago, Morgoth97 said:

MSI Lightning actually sports the best thermals for air cooled 1080 Ti (obviously because it's triple slot) and I also find it very appealing and hence fitting in my showcase styled Chassis. 

I've chosen 7820x over 1700 simply because the frequency is much better when water cooled in a custom water loop. Also, I wouldn't consider myself price elastic.

I chose an NVME SSD over a Sata 3 one for multiple reasons:

1- It's much faster and I'll get better boot times.

2- It's more future proof.

3- I plan to run more NVME SSDs so I'd get noticeably much faster transfer rates between them.

4- I don't have to hassle over wires.

5- It's looks more impressive on paper.

But does it really matter? All 1080 tis oc about the same so you're paying $100 more for what, rgb?

If you have the cash then I guess 7820x is worth going for.

1. Not true, NVMe doesn't boot faster than sata drives

2. What exactly is that supposed to mean

3. File transfer rates will be faster, yes, but how often would you actually transfer files between NVMe SSDs?

4. There are m.2 sata ssds

5. Which doesn't necessarily transfer to real world performance

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

20 hours ago, Morgoth97 said:

Add the 7700K too, it's better for gaming than the newer X299 CPUs, IIRC. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch