Should go ryzen threadripper or intel for a virtualisation pc.

I want my virtualization pc to run pfsense and also be able to run a basic nas server at the same time. I want it to be very upgradeable and cost isnt really a factor but the less i can spend the better.

Go for a server//workstation chip? Xeon or Epyc maybe, since they are validated for ECC RAM, which may be more or less important depending on what you're going to use your rig for. I'm not familiar with virtualization work but for what I do, these chips have better certification and drivers for specific programs.

Just now, tangytangerine said:

Go for a server//workstation chip? Xeon or Epyc maybe, since they are validated for ECC RAM, which may be more or less important depending on what you're going to use your rig for. I'm not familiar with virtualization work but for what I do, these chips have better certification and drivers for specific programs.

All ryzen works with ECC

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

All ryzen works with ECC

They do, in theory with X370, but AMD does not provide validation.

4 minutes ago, VivashTech said:

I want my virtualization pc to run pfsense and also be able to run a basic nas server at the same time. I want it to be very upgradeable and cost isnt really a factor but the less i can spend the better.

You don't need anywhere near that level of hardware for just pfsense and NAS, the g4560 will more than handle that.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

1 minute ago, paddy-stone said:

You don't need anywhere near that level of hardware for just pfsense and NAS, the g4560 will more than handle that.

I'm not familiar with pfsense, but I'm gonna assume since that is a router application (along with a NAS), ECC RAM will be beneficial.

I don't think the G4560 supports that standard. I would say get a Xeon E3 w/o HT based on what he said about the power needed.

well ryzen has had some PCI passthrough issues that im not sure are resolved or not, so maybe Intel would be a better pick. also i would think splitting those two off would be a smarter choice then haveing one rig, seeing as you can probably get away with a quite small cube case and an ITX/M-ATX build

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, tangytangerine said:

I'm not familiar with pfsense, but I'm gonna assume since that is a router application (along with a NAS), ECC RAM will be beneficial.

I don't think the G4560 supports that standard. I would say get a Xeon E3 w/o HT based on what he said about the power needed.

No, it's similar to router fucntionality, but it does not need ECC ram at all... I was reading up on this myself, and in fact pfsense will happily run with just 1 core and under 512MB ram.

Spoiler
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

31 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

No, it's similar to router fucntionality, but it does not need ECC ram at all... I was reading up on this myself, and in fact pfsense will happily run with just 1 core and under 512MB ram.

what at 200mbps? And i want to play arround with different virtualization software and different raid's with different array's and stuff going up to 40tb and i want ecc ram because i have had a failiure in the past on a storage server that could have been prevented had i been using ecc registered ram

5 minutes ago, VivashTech said:

what at 200mbps? And i want to play arround with different virtualization software and different raid's with different array's and stuff going up to 40tb and i want ecc ram because i have had a failiure in the past on a storage server that could have been prevented had i been using ecc registered ram

OK, fair enough, was going off your first post where you didn't mention what for, just that you wanted to use for pfsense and NAS, which would be easy to do on a g4560 CPU and non-ECC ram.

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Just now, paddy-stone said:

OK, fair enough, was going off your first post where you didn't mention what for, just that you wanted to use for pfsense and NAS, which would be easy to do on a g4560 CPU and non-ECC ram.

yeah no man i know for most use cases any old pc can be a good pfsense router. To be honest i would go for a quad or hex core older amd cpu over a pentium for a pfsense router and a basic home server nas

TR & Epyc are a waste of money for this kind of use, the TR itself is at least ~US$1000 just for CPU + Board. 

The G4560 is a 2C/4T chip, so you could happily assign 1C/2T to the NAS and pfSense each. 

If you want more, then you can always go a Ryzen 5 1400 + GPU for a fraction of the cost which will give you 4C/8T 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA