Best headphones for 200$

JohnnyAlmi

What are best headphones for around 200$, maybe even some more if it would make a big difference. I need them for listening to music - mostly rock and metal. I have Shure SRH440 atm, but they are very uncomfortable.

no such thing as the best, because we all enjoy a different sound. If we look at the technic side of things than the K553's are probably the "best", but that doesn't mean you are going to like them. They have a very balanced sound, which is really well done.

Just because a headphone on the technic side of things is really good, doesn't mean that it is a headphone everyone is going to enjoy.

but do you want closed headphones or open? Because with open you can wait for HD6xx's to ship in December or get something else now. Open headphones will leak sound in and out.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

1 hour ago, Dackzy said:

no such thing as the best, because we all enjoy a different sound. If we look at the technic side of things than the K553's are probably the "best", but that doesn't mean you are going to like them. They have a very balanced sound, which is really well done.

Just because a headphone on the technic side of things is really good, doesn't mean that it is a headphone everyone is going to enjoy.

but do you want closed headphones or open? Because with open you can wait for HD6xx's to ship in December or get something else now. Open headphones will leak sound in and out.

Problem is that I don't have option to try many before buying. That sucks!

Closed would be better.

Just now, JohnnyAlmi said:

Problem is that I don't have option to try many before buying. That sucks!

Closed would be better.

with the headphones you already own I would say the k553's would fit your taste

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

7 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

with the headphones you already own I would say the k553's would fit your taste

Cool, thanks a lot! :)

10 minutes ago, Ildiesalot said:

+1 for the Sennheiser HD6xx on Massdrop!

Here's Linus' review on youtube!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I missed HD6xx and AKG is too much since I can't buy it in my country :( Anything else worth mentioning?

I just bought Audio-technica m40x and i am really surprised by the build quality and by the sound. The change for me was big cuz i went from some 15-30usd headphones to these beasts (m40x). One downside for now is that if i dont put them "the right way" they hurt my ears but i think that they will break in eventually. Like mine 30$ one, i owned them for 2-3 years and they copied the exact shape of my head and ears. So look at some reviews for the m40x

1 hour ago, JohnnyAlmi said:

Ok, I missed HD6xx and AKG is too much since I can't buy it in my country :( Anything else worth mentioning?

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/akg-k7xx-massdrop-first-edition-headphones

The drop ends in 7 hours though

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

On 8/9/2017 at 1:14 AM, JohnnyAlmi said:

What about BeyerDynamic DT 880 PRO 250 Ohm?

I personally like my DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm. Quite comfortable (although it clams a bit), just check if you getting a regular cable or 'phone cord' cable.

Very comfortable and I feel like sound is very good, but I don't have much to compare it too. The headphone I mentioned is 140 euros where I live, but since it is made in Germany it might cost more if you're not fro Europe.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

On 8/10/2017 at 7:59 PM, Minibois said:

I personally like my DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm. Quite comfortable (although it clams a bit), just check if you getting a regular cable or 'phone cord' cable.

Very comfortable and I feel like sound is very good, but I don't have much to compare it too. The headphone I mentioned is 140 euros where I live, but since it is made in Germany it might cost more if you're not fro Europe.

I was thinking of getting the Edition one, it's with regular cable and with less pressure on head than the Pro version