Ryzen 3 initial reviews breakdown

Castdeath97

Isnt it ironic when it comes to informative benchmarks videos, Hardware Unboxed came up instead of Linus's video? 

Talk about video quality. Linus please. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

25 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Isnt it ironic when it comes to informative benchmarks videos, Hardware Unboxed came up instead of Linus's video? 

Actually it isn't: LTT has never been particularly accurate or unbiased for reviews or hardware tips with many examples through the years. Their content is more focused on crazy ideas related to tech not actual accurate measures and looking at things objectively.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 hour ago, Sakkura said:

The 7350K will be fine if Intel gets realistic with the price. Really that applies to their whole product range - AMD hasn't beaten Intel on raw performance, just on performance per dollar.

Except that with Intel still on a monolithic die, they can't easily drop their prices enough to compete against AMD on that front.  Given the modular nature of Ryzen, it's very easy for AMD to drop their prices further and still make a profit (at least on the mid-high end, not quite as much on the low end).  Intel would have to lose profitability - or even take a loss - to compete in price.

i can't wait to get home and look at some of these bar graphs.

I also enjoy the clamoring for an AMD cpu at the pentium price point.   Like who are the people that care about this stuff that still buys pentiums?

7 hours ago, Denis Rakhmanov said:

I can repeat myself:

AMD producing only one zen die: 8 core/16threads. I dont expect thay can make profit with this die if they sell it for less then 100$. When you add Vega die, cost would go even higher.

Bristol ridge is supposed to use older CPU architecture, if i'm not mistaken.

Let me explain how you are wrong. There was an article on how the yields on the 1800x were 80%. Yes. 80%. Now, lets assume another 10% have some sort of core defect, and the other 10% are just screwed and out for recycle. 

The 10% that have a core defect, will have core disabled and turned into an r5, if a lot are disabled, they are turned into R3's. Intel does the same thing on their Xeons, most of their chips are the 22 core design, with certain cores non functioning due to a defect or whatever. While yes, some of those 1800x chips will have their cores manually turned off to meet demand, they will still profit greatly. Why? Efficiency. 80% yields are unheard of. I also saw another post where the cost of a Ryzen die was something like $30, minus R&D costs, just a die itself, whether that's true, I don't know.

Even if the true cost is not $30, using chips with defective cores, disabling them, and creating a working product, is a smart business move. If they weren't making money on the r3's, they wouldnt be selling them. I suspect the wafer cost is something low like $30, which is on par with what i read a while ago. 

Do you even fanboy bro?

7 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Except that with Intel still on a monolithic die, they can't easily drop their prices enough to compete against AMD on that front.  Given the modular nature of Ryzen, it's very easy for AMD to drop their prices further and still make a profit (at least on the mid-high end, not quite as much on the low end).  Intel would have to lose profitability - or even take a loss - to compete in price.

Aye after threadripper which has been delided we know it's 4x R5 1500 and the epycs will be 4x R7 1700s meaning that almost every die they produce they gets used.

Doesn't means that intel is in trouble though: having their own fabs is a big advantage still.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Nice job AMD, another nicely placed bullet in Intel.

Now they just need to get their single thread performance up a bit more and AMD takes the cake entirely. If it weren't for me sticking with Windows 8.1, I'd go with Ryzen for my next build instead of Intel.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

24 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Hmm? Intel has a variety of dies addressing various market segments. Taking their 4-core die and cutting it down to 2 cores is certainly no worse for them than taking an 8-core die and cutting it down to 4 cores is for AMD.

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Can you pinpoint exactly what is making you dislike his review so much? Because the way I see it, people (not necessarily you) are extremely mad because he compared the R3 to the i3.

*shrugs* people on this forum called a comparison of the 1600 and the 7800 an unfair comparison even though the result showed that the 1600 was slightly better at somethings than the 7800. Can't please people man but the article and video are in two different tones so you'll have to read it to see where Misanthrope is coming from.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

10 hours ago, Liltrekkie said:

If they weren't making money on the r3's, they wouldnt be selling them.

They'd absolutely sell a chip at a lost if it mitigates said loss. Let's pretend AMD pulls out a 4C/4T that could only manage 2GHz, and that was determined as a defect, and after market research, they figure they can only sell it and a $10 cost of manufacture cooler for a total of $35, and cost to manufacture said CPU is exactly $30. They're more likely to take the $5 profit loss on the chip than a $30 loss tossing it (because they'll absolutely use the cooler for other SKUs).

9 hours ago, XenosTech said:

*shrugs* people on this forum called a comparison of the 1600 and the 7800 an unfair comparison even though the result showed that the 1600 was slightly better at somethings than the 7800.

That's because people are fairly stupid. So long as the results are repeatable, and somewhat realistic scenarios are used, it's fair. I don't give a shit if we're comparing the first Pentium at base clock against a 7980XE at 10GHz, it's a fair comparison. Not one most people would even consider, and not a single person that needs one over the other will really use it, but fair.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

12 hours ago, mrchow19910319 said:

I was a bit busy back then with the family so I posted the ones I checked out. But seriously, LTT sometimes benchmarked CPUs in 4K WITHOUT minimums and still haven't fixed their delidding video, how did you ever come to the conclusion that their informative!?

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

19 hours ago, SuperShires said:

LTT video is up also, damn these little beauties destroy the competition for value, wonder what Intels' response will be? i3 4 cores?

How will they response to this ? Simply by reducing the production of good high value i3s and thinking they still can force people to buy other stuff like few years ago  

I'm aiming to get the R3 1300x for my gf new PC.

I love the price/perf and it's gonna do just fine for a mini ITX 1080p gaming machine.

I finally made convinced her to move from Xbox to the PC side. Reason to finally change her ideas? I made her play Battlefield 1 on the ultrawide and she was insanely surprised about the immersion the ultrawide experience gives.

14 minutes ago, TheGunzPT said:

I'm aiming to get the R3 1300x for my gf new PC.

I love the price/perf and it's gonna do just fine for a mini ITX 1080p gaming machine.

I finally made convinced her to move from Xbox to the PC side. Reason to finally change her ideas? I made her play Battlefield 1 on the ultrawide and she was insanely surprised about the immersion the ultrawide experience gives.

If the system isn't going to be used for anything other than gaming and emails etc, then an i3 7100 will be slightly cheaper and perform on par.

But we're only talking $20-30 ($40 in Aus.) overall.   

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Just now, mr moose said:

If the system isn't going to be used for anything other than gaming and emails etc, then an i3 7100 will be slightly cheaper and perform on par.

But we're only talking $20-30 ($40 in Aus.) overall.   

I know, however my GF main games are 4 core usable games like BF1.

Dual Core will be limited. I don't need high IPC on 2 cores, I need 3.5-3.7ghz on 4 cores.

2 minutes ago, TheGunzPT said:

I know, however my GF main games are 4 core usable games like BF1.

Dual Core will be limited. I don't need high IPC on 2 cores, I need 3.5-3.7ghz on 4 cores.

i3 has higher min than the 1300x on battlefield 1 according to toms.  But as I said it's only $20-30, so if you're more comfortable with the 1300x then it isn't really money wasted.  Just thought it was something worth considering due to the budget nature of these cpu's.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Just now, mr moose said:

i3 has higher min than the 1300x on battlefield 1 according to toms.  But as I said it's only $20-30, so if you're more comfortable with the 1300x then it isn't really money wasted.  Just thought it was something worth considering due to the budget nature of these cpu's.

True and thanks for the feedback.

I've recently done a 1600x build and I'm quite happy as a secondary rendering machine (Got the 1600x for 100..)

I just think a 1300x would do just fine in terms of CPU Bottleneck with her 580 too

Starting price is 110€ for it. In about 2 month, it will be at 99€ mark.

great for budget builds.

I might wait a bit and buy myself cheap R3 build for NAS.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

With recent Coffe Lake leaks i think that i3 will be 4/4, pentiums will remain 2/4, i5 6/6, and so on. So r3 and i3 will be with similar core counts.

Sorry for bad Ingrish