Mining on GPU

I want honest answer please i don't want people commenting raging against miner.
does mining have bad effect on gpu? like for example it will decrease the overall performance affecting fps when you stop mining and start gaming again?

1 minute ago, Ranz said:

I want honest answer please i don't want people commenting raging against miner.
does mining have bad effect on gpu? like for example it will decrease the overall performance affecting fps when you stop mining and start gaming again?

it's not like it will get slower and slower, but using something on load basically 24/7 does increase the risk of failure after a while.. in a gaming situation, you might get up to 12+ hours a day of gaming, and you won't game like that every single day, so your mileage may vary, but all in all it shouldn't affect anything but longevity of the card (100% usage scenario vs typical gaming scenarios)

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.8GHZ
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING
Graphics Card: Inno3D ICHILL GEFORCE GTX 1080 TI X3 ULTRA
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 2x8GB @ 3GHZ
Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W 
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)
Cooling: Kraken X62 for CPU, Corsair H55 with NZXT Kraken G12 for GPU 

1 minute ago, Changis said:

it's not like it will get slower and slower, but using something on load basically 24/7 does increase the risk of failure after a while.. in a gaming situation, you might get up to 12+ hours a day of gaming, and you won't game like that every single day, so your mileage may vary, but all in all it shouldn't affect anything but longevity of the card (100% usage scenario vs typical gaming scenarios)

Okay thanks but if ever the card failed it is still in warranty(does it cover? there will be no physical damage right?) i'm not planning to use my card for like 3 years.

Just now, Ranz said:

Okay thanks but if ever the card failed it is still in warranty(does it cover? there will be no physical damage right?) i'm not planning to use my card for like 3 years.

if you keep it cool and keep it fairly dust free, it shouldn't be a problem. thermals are important here. if you're running the computer under load for 24/7 you need something to remove heat from it effectively.. if not, your computer will become an oven over time and eventually fail

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)

Just now, Changis said:

if you keep it cool and keep it fairly dust free, it shouldn't be a problem. thermals are important here. if you're running the computer under load for 24/7 you need something to remove heat from it effectively.. if not, your computer will become an oven over time and eventually fail

yea i notice that too last week my gtx 1070 temp was like 55-60c only now its peaking at 68c

seeing as you are running your card 24/7 at 100% you are shortening its lifespan and increaseing the risk for failiure. it wont drop your FPS though, just wear out your card

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

3 minutes ago, Ranz said:

yea i notice that too last week my gtx 1070 temp was like 55-60c only now its peaking at 68c

that might also be ambient temperatures at work.. having a good cooling system won't do much if your ambient temps are really high

if it doesn't go up any more, i think it's within operational norms.. if it slowly creeps up, something is wron with the cooler or airflow or something related

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

If you don't OC it to the limit, then it should be fine.

Miners usually aren't overclocking much if I understand right. They just turn fan speed to max and maybe OC a bit of memory ... not core.

GPUs are meant to run at 100% loads, so it should last you for at least 3 years without any problems.

But fans on those GPUs .... that's another story. After few months of running fan at 80% + speed 24/7 ... yeah it gets bad and start making some weird noises.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

After a long tiem running coil wine could occure, morel likely though I am not a miner I;ve seen it happen with fans it will fail. Either the bearings will wear out or if not kept clean something can gunk it up and cause it to stop spinning.

Edit: also PSU will get strained moving at closer to max output constantly, when those go they CAN sometimes take componants with them.

If done at high temp (80-90c) for long periods it will likely kill it within a few years, but if kept cool and no major temperate variations it should be fine. Wont affect performance when not mining though, if it works it will work as it did new. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

Well about the fans, mine runs at around 45%-50% with peaking today at 67c. i think i'm still good? i'm just waiting to get 0.010btc to be able to withdraw it from nicehash then i'll stop as its pointless at this rate.

9 hours ago, Changis said:

Agree, also, another factor is keeping the card cool.

Actually, depending on what the card is mining there is less stress than folding or certain BOINC projects.  I done quiet a bit of F@H, BOINC, and mining with a wide range of cards.  Out of all of them, Prime Number searching will make cards get super hot and stress them big time compare to say F@H or mining.

At most you have a higher chance of the fan failing on the card.  Then again, I seen that happen with folding and boinc cards too.  Reason case fans and zip ties exist.

Then again, I am the nutty who managed to kill a OG Titan with folding, while my 7970 survived four to five years of folding, bouncing, and mining (it is still alive and kicking too) on an air cooler.

9 hours ago, Ranz said:

What TDP do you have the card set to?  GTX 1070s do well at lower TDP and a light OC on the RAM for certain cryptos.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

11 hours ago, Ranz said:

Yes, it does but it doesn't reduce your fps afterward. Your card either works or it breaks. There is no in-between.