[SOLVED] Is my 1080 TI bad?

So I upgraded from a MSI GTX 970 to a GTX 1080TI EVGA FTW3 a couple of days ago and I haven't been able to play literally ANY game consistently (Overwatch, PUBG, even old games such as BF4). All of them freeze, just the game, not the computer, HOWEVER, if I underclock my graphics card a bit, it will delay this but it will also cause the entire PC to freeze after a bit longer. As soon as the game crashes, there is a log on event viewer about nvlddmkm stopping responding and being recovered. I've tried literally everything that comes to mind, from cleaning dust off the board/graphics card/psu, changing the PCIe 8-pin connectors, updating BIOS, clearing CMOS, DDU and install latest drivers (as well as DDU and rolling back to 382.53), clean Windows install, those TDR fixes (they actually made the bug worse), uninstalled Nvidia HD audio drivers, enabling vsync, underclocking (as described above this is the only thing that seems to work)

Some info about my PC:

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820k @ 4.2GHz

Motherboard: Asus X99-A 3.1

RAM: 16GB G.Skill 3200 (running at 2666)

PSU: Corsair TX750M 80+ Bronze

Operating System and Version: Windows 10 Pro Build 15063

GPU Drivers: 384.80, clean install

Should I RMA my card? is this a known issue with FTW3 cards (or 1080 ti in general)? Maybe my PSU needs a replacement?

I would RMA it. Sounds like a weird issue.

9 minutes ago, Jesdga95 said:

So I upgraded from a MSI GTX 970 to a GTX 1080TI EVGA FTW3 a couple of days ago and I haven't been able to play literally ANY game consistently (Overwatch, PUBG, even old games such as BF4). All of them freeze, just the game, not the computer, HOWEVER, if I underclock my graphics card a bit, it will delay this but it will also cause the entire PC to freeze after a bit longer. As soon as the game crashes, there is a log on event viewer about nvlddmkm stopping responding and being recovered. I've tried literally everything that comes to mind, from cleaning dust off the board/graphics card/psu, changing the PCIe 8-pin connectors, updating BIOS, clearing CMOS, DDU and install latest drivers (as well as DDU and rolling back to 382.53), clean Windows install, those TDR fixes (they actually made the bug worse), uninstalled Nvidia HD audio drivers, enabling vsync, underclocking (as described above this is the only thing that seems to work)

Some info about my PC:

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820k @ 4.2GHz

Motherboard: Asus X99-A 3.1

RAM: 16GB G.Skill 3200 (running at 2666)

PSU: Corsair TX750M 80+ Bronze

Operating System and Version: Windows 10 Pro Build 15063

GPU Drivers: 384.80, clean install

Should I RMA my card? is this a known issue with FTW3 cards (or 1080 ti in general)? Maybe my PSU needs a replacement?

try your card in another computer.. you might be able to get it tested at a local computer shop if you don't know anyone with a computer with an i7 or at least newer i5 (yes i know it will bottleneck, but this is purely for troubleshooting purposes)

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.8GHZ
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING
Graphics Card: Inno3D ICHILL GEFORCE GTX 1080 TI X3 ULTRA
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 2x8GB @ 3GHZ
Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W 
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)
Cooling: Kraken X62 for CPU, Corsair H55 with NZXT Kraken G12 for GPU 

Yeah I would also RMA it since DDU+Clean install failed and the PSU is capable enough

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

The reason I even mention my PSU is because it's reaaally old, and the sudden shutdown that happened once or twice got me thinking. I will try to test the card on another computer and if the issue persists I'll just RMA it.

Your PSU should be fine, if the 970 ran flawlessly it's not a fault of the PSU (750W is more than enough for your system).

At this point, yes, RMA it if drivers couldn't fix the issue.

What is the rest of the system components ?

What OS you are running?

Any Overclocking on your system?

All Drivers of system up to date ?

What games apps do you crash ?

Did you run Realbench or 3d Mark Stress mode and crashed ?

Had similar issues before but i need more info to solve.

1 hour ago, MCCOPRA said:

What is the rest of the system components ?

What OS you are running?

Any Overclocking on your system?

All Drivers of system up to date ?

What games apps do you crash ?

Did you run Realbench or 3d Mark Stress mode and crashed ?

Had similar issues before but i need more info to solve.

I believe most of that info is on the first post. All the drivers are up to date (fresh windows install), and I do run overclock on my CPU and RAM (4.2GHz, 2666MHz). I ran a stress test on RealBench for 2 hours and it passed (I know it's not nearly enough but that's what I got so far).

I had a similar system to your

5820k oced to 4.6ghz

MSI X99A Gaming 7

same problems you mentioned happened to me random blackout restarts tried everything.

new psu 850w gold - 1000w plat.

Changed gpus 1070 - 1070sli - 1080 - 1080sli - 1080ti all got tdr errors.

Clean install windows 7 - 8.1 - 10

Having everything stock kept the issue from happening regularly but still occurred.

My case was well vented so no throttling.

Changed ram sticks to kingston - gskill.

Increasing the Vring Vccsa Voltages helped a little but still got error.

Setting everything stock and disabling all Mobo features(hpet -lan- audio) helped but still not solved.

Changed cables to individual feed from psu.

Solving my issue was changing the pcie x16 slot from main x16 to 2nd x8 and letting windows 10 install all drivers and not touching anything even removing all 3rd party apps like Corsair link Synapse Samsung magician and playing games at full screen mode. I got no more errors till i added pci-e nvme drive and it was back again.

so my conclusion was there is some weird thing going on with 5820k pci-e lanes or my mobo was going bad or it was not compatible with pascal Gpu boost 3.0.

My system was perfect stable with any Amd card 380-390-480 and cf modes.

If you check nvidia forums there are countless topics about it black screen and stopped responding errors but no real solutions i just accepted that my cpu mobo does not play well with pascal so i upgraded to ryzen now and living happily for now who knows maybe Volta will not play well with ryzen.

Previously had blacksnake issues with my 4790k and msi z97 gaming 7 mobo turned out Realtek hd audio was not playing well with R9 390 drivers. used dedicated sound card disabled on board and was good to go.

Sorry for wall of text but Good luck i know and understand the struggle. I hope you solve the issue.

Try uninstalling afterburner or precisionx then ddu then drivers then reinstall afterburner or precision

On 30/7/2017 at 10:18 AM, MCCOPRA said:

Any Update on your issue did you solve it - please share ?

Yeah, I ordered a new PSU (because mine is a bit old anyway), and kept running the card on -200MHz in the meantime with no problems so far, it seems to work OK. As a side note, I also tried moving the 1080 to the PCIe slot on the side of the current one like you described. This seems to completely fix the issue as well, but I get a HUGE drop in FPS (like 40 fps on some games). So I'll wait until I get my PSU (next week) and then if the issue persists, I'm doing RMA on my graphics card.

On 30/7/2017 at 10:27 AM, pas008 said:

Try uninstalling afterburner or precisionx then ddu then drivers then reinstall afterburner or precision

I tried this once, as well as running games without any of these apps when I clean installed windows, didn't work.

I got a new update. Today I received my HX1000 and it does not fix the issue at all. So I'm sending my card back.

I got a video of the issue too:

UPDATE: I sent the card to EVGA and they sent me a new one, problem solved :)