WTF is wrong with Dell support?

H0R53
6 hours ago, H0R53 said:

So is that why they advertise HDR when there really isn't any?

7 hours ago, DnFx91 said:

It was advertised as Dell HDR.  Don't take everything you read at face value.

8 hours ago, mrchow19910319 said:

I have been the most polite person I have ever been when I talked to the Dell person. 

Ok but that doesn't mean you didn't try to tell them how to do their job.

The monitor goes black screen from time to time, it usually goes black for 1 or 2 second when my aircon is on. 

Then it went back to normal. 

Also sometimes my laptop and my desktop cannot detect the dell monitor. Switched cable and it didnt help either.

Sounds like it could be an issue..but what is 'aircon'?  I've never heard that term before.

oes all of those sound not like an issue to you? 

Anyway, I send my monitor back to dell just let them check, my one is still under warranty, I have every right to demand them to give me a reasonable response. 

It could be an issue.

If you sent it back to let them see if something is wrong, then they really did help you, didn't they?

7 hours ago, DnFx91 said:

-snip-

I've always gotten to talk to/email an intelligent English speaking person with Alienware support.  Do you know if Alienware customers just get better support in general or are they stuck down with the Dell consumers?

Just now, H0R53 said:

Air conditioning.

So apparently his air conditioning makes his screen go black..now I can see why the Dell support person thought there was no issue.  

Just now, lilbman said:

So apparently his air conditioning makes his screen go black..now I can see why the Dell support person thought there was no issue.  

It's probably a power delivery problem. My buddy had his air conditioning and monitor plugged into the same power strip and when the AC would power up the screen would go off for a couple seconds.

15 minutes ago, lilbman said:

air conditioner. :/

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

Simple answer: They don't give complicated answers to everyone because most of the people calling them couldn't find the power button if they tried, let alone jury rig anything.

i5 6600k and GTX 1070 but I play 1600-900. 1440p BABY!

Still, don't put too much faith in my buying decisions. xD 

2 hours ago, H0R53 said:

It's probably a power delivery problem. My buddy had his air conditioning and monitor plugged into the same power strip and when the AC would power up the screen would go off for a couple seconds.

So would the power delivery part be on the monitor? I don't see how the monitor would be at fault for that.

58 minutes ago, H0R53 said:

No, probably his AC sucking so much the monitor can't deliver enough to keep itself on and it shuts off

If that is the case then I don't see how he needed to send it to Dell to get it looked at. 

24 minutes ago, lilbman said:

If that is the case then I don't see how he needed to send it to Dell to get it looked at. 

Because he didn't know what the problem was.

Fortunately I'm an electrical engineer. So I did.

HEY BUDDY, IF YOU CAN STILL HEAR ME FROM YOUR LAST POST I KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM IS

5 hours ago, H0R53 said:

Because he didn't know what the problem was.

Fortunately I'm an electrical engineer. So I did.

HEY BUDDY, IF YOU CAN STILL HEAR ME FROM YOUR LAST POST I KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM IS

I find it funny that he doesn't believe them that his monitor is fine, but it really is fine.

On 7/22/2017 at 1:12 AM, mrchow19910319 said:

Don't be surprised that those people don't really care about "solving your problem". 

Called dell's customer service yesterday regarding my dell monitor. 

After half an hour 's chat, they insist that my monitor is fine. 

They just don't care. Imagine a bunch of people in the same room taking calls every day and most of the calls aren't that friendly. 

You complained about them not really caring about ''solving your problem" when there is no problem with the monitor.  The problem is that not enough power is reaching your monitor. As @H0R53 said when you plug in your AC, it takes away power from the monitor and it causes it to go black for a second.

21 hours ago, mrchow19910319 said:

The monitor goes black screen from time to time, it usually goes black for 1 or 2 second when my aircon is on. 

In my old apartment I had mini fridge in my room and any time the fridge's compressor would kick in, my monitor went black for a moment (Dell monitor). Then I've connected my fridge to the other power outlet and the problem was gone. Air conditioner is essentially fridge with a fan so I can see the same pattern here, compressor kicks in, your monitor goes black. Just change the power outlet for either your PC or air conditioner and it will solve your problem. And especially in the case you have air conditioner and PC on the same power strip, you are lucky that the fire did not catch up.

3 minutes ago, Niksa said:

in the case you have air conditioner and PC on the same power strip, you are lucky that the fire did not catch up.

I dont think so... my air conditioner is connected to a power outlet on my wall. 

My monitor is connected to the power strip that I have under the table..

Also, there is more issue than just this. Laptop/desktop cannot detect monitor sometimes. I've already sent it in for repair. 

11 hours ago, mrchow19910319 said:

my air conditioner is connected to a power outlet on my wall. 

My monitor is connected to the power strip that I have under the table..

Doesn't matter if they share the same breaker. Our room loses power sometimes when too much is going on in the kitchen. Clearly nothing plugged in the same outlet, but due to wiring they may as well be.

The Dell community forums for support are just total shit in general. People on there don't know what they're talking about. The Dell phone based support is a whole lot better. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

I used to do level 2 tech support for Dell back in 2000, so things might have changed, but when I was there:

1) Most of the people you talk to on the phone only know what they're told in their two week training class and are overwhelmed by the job.

2) If your computer isn't in stock configuration, they don't officially support it and can't give you any other answer.

11 minutes ago, ZenMonkey said:

I used to do level 2 tech support for Dell back in 2000, so things might have changed, but when I was there:

1) Most of the people you talk to on the phone only know what they're told in their two week training class and are overwhelmed by the job.

2) If your computer isn't in stock configuration, they don't officially support it and can't give you any other answer.

That's why Dell sucks.

Edit: Dell Support

10 minutes ago, ZenMonkey said:

1) Their support has been great whenever I've called. There was one time that they wanted to charge me $20 USD to verify a fucking error code, but I was like "hell no". Turns out the hard drive was weirdly fucked up. But every other time has been wonderful.

2) They've never bothered about if my system is or is not stock (no, it's far from it).

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

4 hours ago, Mooshi said:

Doesn't matter if they share the same breaker. Our room loses power sometimes when too much is going on in the kitchen. Clearly nothing plugged in the same outlet, but due to wiring they may as well be.

I see! Did not know that ! I do live in a fairly old house though. I think this is the fairly explanation. 

1 minute ago, mrchow19910319 said:

I see! Did not know that ! I do live in a fairly old house though. I think this is the fairly explanation. 

Try using completely different outlets.

I have 8 outlets in my bedroom, one set is for my PC, three monitors, and speakers, one is for my AC and bedroom media PC, one is for my minifridge away from the kitchen, and another is for a microwave and a toaster oven. Strange that I can be using everything at the same time without problems...