Using ethernet for file transfer and wifi for internet

I have a laptop and a workstation. Both have wifi in them. I have connected both on the same wifi as well as connected both to each other using a single cat 5 ethernet cable. Both have gigabit internet NICs. The way I have connected them using ethernet is by assigning ip address of one machine as the gateway of the other.

Say Laptop has IP 192.168.1.2 & Gateway 192.168.1.1

Workstation has IP 192.168.1.1 & Gateway 192.168.1.2

This way both the pc's can see each other on the same network even when the wifi is turned off.

The problem arises when I'm transferring files between them, either windows switches to wifi mid way or when file transfers happen using the ethernet I'm unable to use the internet. I have also tried changing the metric. IP should be not an issue as for the wifi I have assigned them IP in the range 192.168.1.1XX

What should I do inorder to make windows use ethernet for file sharing and wifi for internet.

the gateway is how you tell your computer where to find the internet. You should not be assigning gateway for just file transfer, try leave gateway blank and only set the IP.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 minute ago, That_PC_Kid said:

Openly telling the internet your IP address? Wait till I get my hacker friend to hack and DDoS you!!! Muhahahahaha

Try it. It's the address for my intranet. ;)

5 minutes ago, That_PC_Kid said:

Openly telling the internet your IP address? Wait till I get my hacker friend to hack and DDoS you!!! Muhahahahaha

It's intranet. Do you know anything about networking?

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

8 minutes ago, That_PC_Kid said:

please do everyone a favour and DoS address 192.168.1.1 from your computer right now.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

19 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

please do everyone a favour and DoS address 192.168.1.1 from your computer right now.

I do this everyday and I swear nothing ever ha . . .

You can install a FTP server on one computer and use a FTP client to connect to it using the IP address. The packets will naturally flow through the gigabit (wired) connection.

You can probably do some network interface priority / order thing with your network cards , so that any data that goes to local IPs is routed to the wired network card but I can't be bothered to search / look up how to.

Linus did something like this in his videos about using 10gbps fiber cards for local transfers between computers and keeping regular network card for internet and other crap .. see those videos where he explains about priority and stuff.

17 hours ago, That_PC_Kid said:

Thats a class C address. They are not internet routable. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

41 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Thats a class C address. They are not internet routable. 

It was a joke...

If your laptop is running windows, you can pull up the Network and Sharing center, click on change adapter properties, then hit the alt key to bring up the extra tabs up top.  then click on the Advanced tab, then advanced properties.  You should see your wifi and ethernet connections.  If you give your wifi higher priority (higher on the stack) then your wifi will work for the internet first, and if your wifi cant find the address (in the case of your workstation) then it should fall back to using the ethernet.