Rx 580 CF vs. GTX 1080

Bajarjar2601

so I'm thinking about getting a gtx 1080 or 2 rx 580s, I am an AMD fan so I kinda sway more to the 580s not to mention its cheaper, but idk, everyone ik says go with 1080 but idk if their opinon is something I should consider because they are still using gtx 570s on sli, so they are not really caught up for todays standard, if I go with a 1080 then I will be keeping everything the same in my pc, but if I go with the 580s I'm thinking about getting a new board with one of the new ryzen cpus

580 CF might reach the performance of a 1080 in *some game*

580 CF consumes more power, and not sure where you live but due to miners buying RX cards like crazy the 580 is insanely expensive, even a single 580 consumes more power than a regular 1080.

The 1080 is better, but if you are an AMD fan, you may want to wait for Vega

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

3 minutes ago, Bajarjar2601 said:

so I'm thinking about getting a gtx 1080 or 2 rx 580s, I am an AMD fan so I kinda sway more to the 580s not to mention its cheaper, but idk, everyone ik says go with 1080 but idk if their opinon is something I should consider because they are still using gtx 570s on sli, so they are not really caught up for todays standard, if I go with a 1080 then I will be keeping everything the same in my pc, but if I go with the 580s I'm thinking about getting a new board with one of the new ryzen cpus

Just wait for the RX vega Cards. They are right around the corner. Like two- four weeks away.

Get an AMD vega GPU, coming out very soon and have a GTX 1080 competitor.

Also ryzen is great

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

I like AMD to, but one really fast card is always better than 2 cards strung up with either SLI or crossfire. I'd only recommend sli/crossfire to someone that finds an absolute steal on the second card or already has the best GPU available.

Reason: Scalability and support for more powerful single GPUs is high, but many games don't support sli/crossfire. Far cry primal is a "prime" example of this happening (excuse the awful pun). Some games actually take performance hits with a second GPU.

PS: Where are you finding 2 AMD GPUs and moreso how are you finding a pair for less than $500 combined? I'll buy and RX 580 if I could find it for under $250.

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.7 GHz

GPU: XFX GTS RX580 4GB

Cooling: Corsair h100i

Mobo: Asus z97-A 

RAM: 4x8 GB 1600 MHz Corsair Vengence

PSU: Corsair HX850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Tempered glass edition

Display: LG 29UM68-P

Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK FX RGB

Mouse: Logitech g900 Chaos Spectrum

Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX

Yeah, everyone else is saying wait for VEGA. I agree if gamers nexus benchmarks are anything to go by. It looks like it will have GTX 1080 performance. If the price is right it may be a great move, it's what I'm currently doing (but I wouldn't mind looking into cheap modern cards and holding my tongue if it saves me money, hence saying I'd execute a deal on a <$250 RX 580).

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.7 GHz

GPU: XFX GTS RX580 4GB

Cooling: Corsair h100i

Mobo: Asus z97-A 

RAM: 4x8 GB 1600 MHz Corsair Vengence

PSU: Corsair HX850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Tempered glass edition

Display: LG 29UM68-P

Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK FX RGB

Mouse: Logitech g900 Chaos Spectrum

Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX

11 minutes ago, ATFink said:

Where are you finding 2 AMD GPUs and moreso how are you finding a pair for less than $500 combined? I'll buy and RX 580 if I could find it for under $250.

why so you can immediately sell it on for about $300-$450 (depending where you are) to coin miners???

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

It is generally accepted to always go with the most powerful single card you can. Even if a SLI or CF config can mach or slightly beat the performance of a higher end single card, it's usually better to still go with the single card to not have to deal with the issues of SLI of CF

Yeah, SLI and Crossfire only make sense if you're doing high end cards right away or you already had a mid tier card and were on a tight budget.

It makes zero sense to go with 2 lower end or mid tier cards right away of you're starting fresh.

AMD CF in general is better than nvidia SLI now. Some games just wont work with dual cards though.

Other than gaming, AMD doesnt strip other features from consumer cards like nvidia does for their top of the line consumer. Other than double fp AMD GPUs still keep their cache and all other things so for compute i would pick AMD over nvidia. For gaming however pick the GPU that your favourate games support best, both side have terrible drivers, hardware wise i picked nvidia over AMD as my AMD cards failed. This doesnt matter much if you are a gamer though except that AMD cards wont be bus restricted like nvidia cards in doing card to card/memory transfers if only AMD had nvidia optimus equivalent. This is why i still keep my dual HD 7970s as its the best card AMD made that didnt have any features stripped including double fp and that the hardware doesnt fail.

I would recommend the 1080 over the 580 mainly because of hardware and drivers not be so good. This time around nvidia drivers are poor but they still do better than AMD GPUs as far as drivers and hardware is concerned (not performance).