Do mousepads actually differ?

Alright, so this is a question that's been bothering me for some time now. I like to think I'm an avid game. Got a nice mechanical keyboard by Logitech, even a Logitech mouse. They feel really nice to use in games and also with general use. Yet there's one thing I've always skimped out on, that's the mousepad. So I'll ask, do any of the high end mousepads offer anything to the gaming experience that a cheap $1 mousepad doesn't?

Are there things that could affect performance? Such as the color of the pad? If it's shiny or matte? Plastic or cloth?

Help here would be awesome but I'm sure the answer is as simple as "it's just personal preference".

1 minute ago, salsav91 said:

Alright, so this is a question that's been bothering me for some time now. I like to think I'm an avid game. Got a nice mechanical keyboard by Logitech, even a Logitech mouse. They feel really nice to use in games and also with general use. Yet there's one thing I've always skimped out on, that's the mousepad. So I'll ask, do any of the high end mousepads offer anything to the gaming experience that a cheap $1 mousepad doesn't?

Are there things that could affect performance? Such as the color of the pad? If it's shiny or matte? Plastic or cloth?

Help here would be awesome but I'm sure the answer is as simple as "it's just personal preference".

A lot of it is preference and difference experiences but tracking can differ as more desirable surfaces can help the sensor. Some mouses even have a option for calibration for specific surfaces to ensure it optimizes it the best it can. 

Yes mousepads differ in the gaming experience. 

You can try for your self, if you have a computer store next to you. Or even use different fabrics as mousepad replacement.

For example a piece of paper, a tshirt, some smooth plastic. You will feel different drags and sometimes even better response from the mouse regarding the readability of the surface from the mouse sensor.

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

5 minutes ago, salsav91 said:

I think it makes a difference. I don't mean high end vs low end, but the surface itself does. I know in pvp fps games the surface can improve your accuracy. I've also heard  that mmo folks like a larger/smoother surfaced pad because they tend to make broad sweeping movements with their mice.

Best Excuses:

#1(simple) "Well, I never liked that stupid thing anyway!"

#2(complex) "Obviously there was a flaw in the material, probably due to the inadvertent introduction of contaminants during the manufacturing process."

I have a $5 mousepad from target, it works just as well as a $100 RBG mousepad. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

depends on what you like. i have a hard plastic one, that i've had for years that im going to get rid of for a cloth one because i dont like the plastic now and it's all scratched up

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

6 hours ago, salsav91 said:

Ive always used a Steelseries QCK+ i totally reccomend it

12 hours ago, salsav91 said:

All of those actually, though in a lot of cases a mousepad actually reduces performance compared to a table, it also depends on what mouse you are using, but ultimately the amount/type of friction > performance, as long as the malfunction speed is sufficient.

You need the ones with RGB for maximum performance

Insert   Dank   Signature   Here.