[Update] China tells carriers to block access to personal VPNs by February 1, 2018, [Bloomberg is reporting erroneously]

6 minutes ago, YongKang said:

You're missing out on the amazing food ;)

We have a huge Chinese population living in Philippines for almost more than half a millenia ago. Chinese restaurants are everywhere and yes, I know how they taste and it's delicious. I guess if our planned trip to China goes, I won't be uploading that Great Wall of China panorama to Twitter and Instagram while in China. I may have to wait until we reach Hong Kong layover where internet regulations are way lighter. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Just now, hey_yo_ said:

We have a huge Chinese population living in Philippines for almost more than half a millenia ago. Chinese restaurants are everywhere and yes, I know how they taste and it's delicious. I guess if our planned trip to China goes, I won't be uploading that Great Wall of China panorama to Twitter and Instagram while in China. I may have to wait until we reach Hong Kong layover where internet regulations are way lighter. 

Dude, don't worry about VPN and stuff. Enjoy your time there, get some great food, enjoy the free wifi on buses and subway. Have fun! And you won't have any problem accessing western social media when you're in HK. I speak from experience. I just went back to my hometown Guangzhou last December.

8 minutes ago, YongKang said:

Dude, don't worry about VPN and stuff. Enjoy your time there, get some great food, enjoy the free wifi on buses and subway. Have fun! And you won't have any problem accessing western social media when you're in HK. I speak from experience. I just went back to my hometown Guangzhou last December.

I think laws are different in HK and PRC. I've been to Hong Kong back when I was in high school and looking back, it's more "free and democratic" in Hong Kong. I know people there can assemble and speak in the public unlike in China. Besides, most VPN providers have HK servers and I haven't heard any legislation in banning VPN use in Hong Kong.

1 minute ago, hey_yo_ said:

I think laws are different in HK and PRC. I've been to Hong Kong back when I was in high school and looking back, it's more "free and democratic" in Hong Kong. I know people there can assemble and speak in the public unlike in China. Besides, most VPN providers have HK servers. 

They are but HK is still a part of China. Free? Yes. Democratic? Do you know that's one of the things that a political party abuses in HK, want HK to be independent, using "naive" students to cause trouble and wasting time in the assembly chamber? That's the truth there.  

"assemble and speak in the public unlike in China." Bro, you're in for a culture shock when you go there. I assure you.

1 minute ago, YongKang said:

They are but HK is still a part of China. Free? Yes. Democratic? Do you know that's one of the things that a political party abuses in HK, want HK to be independent, using "naive" students to cause trouble and wasting time in the assembly chamber? That's the truth there.  

"assemble and speak in the public unlike in China." Bro, you're in for a culture shock when you go there. I assure you.

This post is probably derailing from the OP but I'd love to see the day when Hong Kong secedes from China.

Just now, hey_yo_ said:

This post is probably derailing from the OP but I'd love to see the day when Hong Kong secedes from China.

Most of the populace doesn't support it and it's just a wild idea that's been thrown around as an excuse by the minority that dislikes the PRC.

33 minutes ago, YongKang said:

You're missing out on the amazing food ;)

Does that come before or after the tank runs over you

Just now, Eaglerino said:

Does that come before or after the tank runs over you

I'll suggest you read more on history and seeing more perspective before saying stuff like that. Plus, I'm truly saddened by the naive but geniuses university students that died on that day, fighting for a cause they believe to be right but only to be used by some that betrayed them (those who stirred the whole incident up) to escape China safely and got paid handsomely by foreign countries.  If the ones that escaped truly believe in the democracy they fought for, they would stay behind with their brethren and not live the coward life they are right now.

4 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

They're now starting.

Some people argue with the notion, "if you have nothing to hide or done nothing wrong, you shouldn't be afraid to be searched" which I find problematic. Let's say in a small town with 50 families living and the local government was granted access to intercept all data flowing through every ISP without consent. Then there was a report of illegal heroin production and authorities want to investigate and have the suspects incarcerated. In most countries, seizure of private property or home searches without a warrant is illegal. But here's the catch, probable cause. Since the government can look into browsing activities of the people living in that small town, they can look into individual IP addresses and look what websites these people are looking into. Let's say Matthew is a Chemistry major in college and is looking for the pathways how methamphetamine for example is synthesized for his organic chemistry homework, the cops can use his browsing history as a probable cause to search his house even without warrant or worse, have him put to jail for something he didn't do.

P.S. I'm not so sure about my example of probable cause. Is my example correct @jmart604?

We don't have anything wrong or anything to hide but having insecure apps and communications means that anybody with some knowledge can use my data and benefits from them. I don't mind if Google AI read my info to show me relevant ads , YouTube suggestions,  app suggestions,  music,  search etc . I'm fine with that and that's why i use Google services but let's imagine that I use some insecure apps for messaging and talking with my friends.  And in that app , I tell them that i bought a expensive laptop for example.  And few days later I tell them that i want to go out mountain climbing or any thing else and I'm not home. Then the guy with some computer knowledge can use my data and since they know when I'm out and what I've bought , they can easily come to my house and steal my expensive laptop .

The point is that bad guys unfortunately always find a way to do their stuff and having insecure apps and services can't stop them , but it can also cause more problems and let some other bad guys do other bad things too (for example that laptop story) 

And personally,  I think big companies like google , Facebook ,Microsoft.... will fight for free secure Internet (let's hope they do)

37 minutes ago, Red Hardware said:

And personally,  I think big companies like google , Facebook ,Microsoft.... will fight for free secure Internet (let's hope they do)

These companies once made a rejoinder in support of Apple when the likes of FBI is harassing Apple to create a backdoor to bypass the iPhone 5c's encryption. https://www.recode.net/2016/2/25/11588236/google-will-join-microsoft-in-backing-apple-with-a-legal-filing-in 

I'm sure these will be the same companies to defend VPN use in the event that the US government would call for a "total and complete shutdown of personal VPN use". Although I don't think the US at the moment would do shit like China is doing. 

7 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

I think laws are different in HK and PRC. I've been to Hong Kong back when I was in high school and looking back, it's more "free and democratic" in Hong Kong. I know people there can assemble and speak in the public unlike in China. Besides, most VPN providers have HK servers and I haven't heard any legislation in banning VPN use in Hong Kong.

I think so places such as Shanghai also have some website unblocked, it varies between provinces (states) and some ISP and how strict the filtering and port blocking.  It also a major trading hub and also it was control by the Britain and still have alot of foreigners living there. I had no problem accessing websites or services in Hong Kong. Personally anything with encrypted traffic is really slow in China due to i presume packet sniffers which analyzer the key to see if it similar to services such as OPENVPN, and probing that connection to see if it VPN or not. I found that they will block foreign IP as soon it finds if it VPN or proxy of sorts, unless you have services such as stunnel which hids the traffic as HTTPS web request. 

Magical Pineapples

13 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

They're now starting.

Some people argue with the notion, "if you have nothing to hide or done nothing wrong, you shouldn't be afraid to be searched" which I find problematic. Let's say in a small town with 50 families living and the local government was granted access to intercept all data flowing through every ISP without consent. Then there was a report of illegal heroin production and authorities want to investigate and have the suspects incarcerated. In most countries, seizure of private property or home searches without a warrant is illegal. But here's the catch, probable cause. Since the government can look into browsing activities of the people living in that small town, they can look into individual IP addresses and look what websites these people are looking into. Let's say Matthew is a Chemistry major in college and is looking for the pathways how methamphetamine for example is synthesized for his organic chemistry homework, the cops can use his browsing history as a probable cause to search his house even without warrant or worse, have him put to jail for something he didn't do.

P.S. I'm not so sure about my example of probable cause. Is my example correct @jmart604?

I know nothing about criminal procedure in the Philippines.

I can tell you that in the US, the evidence in your example was probably obtained illegally, meaning it wouldn't hold up in court, and a kid looking up the information you mentioned most likely wouldn't rise to the level of probable cause on its own.

I spell my name without an H!

Esse Quam Videri - Go Blue Devils

20 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

But here's the catch, probable cause. Since the government can look into browsing activities of the people living in that small town, they can look into individual IP addresses and look what websites these people are looking into. Let's say Matthew is a Chemistry major in college and is looking for the pathways how methamphetamine for example is synthesized for his organic chemistry homework, the cops can use his browsing history as a probable cause to search his house even without warrant or worse, have him put to jail for something he didn't do.

Even if that was considered probable cause (which, on its own, probably would not be), they would still have to get a warrant to perform a search.  Police are not permitted to access a home without authorization (either a warrant or an invitation by the owner).  The only exception to that, is if there is probable cause to believe a life is in danger.  However, they must be able to justify that action afterwards, or face severe penalties.

Updated. See the OP. As it turns out, Bloomberg is delivering fake news to their readers. For anyone who can read Mandarin, here's the confirmation that China is not banning personal VPNs. (I don't read Mandarin unfortunately]

Source: http://www.thepaper.cn/newsDetail_forward_1730060

1 hour ago, hey_yo_ said:

Updated. See the OP. As it turns out, Bloomberg is delivering fake news to their readers. For anyone who can read Mandarin, here's the confirmation that China is not banning personal VPNs. (I don't read Mandarin unfortunately]

Source: http://www.thepaper.cn/newsDetail_forward_1730060

Let me run that through my wife and give a quick translation :P

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

11 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Let me run that through my wife and give a quick translation :P

Thank you very much. I thought I did violated something in thw CS and receive a warning point. Phew ?... 

Edited by hey_yo_

@hey_yo_

Yeah, the wife read the article and it's pretty much what Google translate can translate, not sure where Bloomberg got their source but for now, the Chinese gov official stance hasn't changed. While they don't like it, they're not outright banning any or all VPNs.

That's good news since we plan to go back in October! :P

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Cant blame them for not trusting the US based private companies when you think about it.

Details separate people.

27 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

@hey_yo_

Yeah, the wife read the article and it's pretty much what Google translate can translate, not sure where Bloomberg got their source but for now, the Chinese gov official stance hasn't changed. While they don't like it, they're not outright banning any or all VPNs.

That's good news since we plan to go back in October! :P

Confirmed: Bloomberg is spreading uninformed and sensational claims. Hence, Bloomberg is a source of "fake news". 

Meanwhile, I always wanted to go to China and visit Tiananmen Square, Great Wall of China, and others as well as taste what true, authentic Chinese food taste like. We have a huge population of Chinese citizens and I love the food, I'm curious as to how it really tastes in China. Good luck for your trip to China with your wife. I hope our trip goes as planned. 

5 minutes ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

Cant blame them for not trusting the US based private companies when you think about it.

A lot of VPN providers aren't based in the US. 

I was in China last summer, ate the tiny bony fish and the endangered songbirds, and then I tried to use Tunnelbear on my phone. Failure, it couldn't find any servers to connect to. 

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

On 7/14/2017 at 10:23 AM, Tech_Dreamer said:

As if a Communist government is in any way more trustworthy.

The bottom of the "trustworthiness" list should look like this.

Greedy corporate overlords

Nazi's & Communists

At least with the greedy corporate overlords to know where you stand, and they only want your money? Despite what some people think, corporations don't actually profit off of death all that much (military contractors aside). Dead people = less labor, and less people to sell stuff to.

Again that's the bottom of any such list. You could take a look at just about anything and it would probably land above those three.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs