Ryzen 5 1600x or i5 7600k

Go to solution Solved by Seabosz,

okay so ryzen it is then but is it worth it that i go for a ryzen 7 or should i stick with ryzen 5?

iam willing to drop the pure rock

I need some advice on what i should get i want to upgrade from my FX 6300 

iam currently looking at 2 sets of CPU/MOBO/RAM/COOLER

Set 1:

AMD Ryzen 5 1600x

MSI B350 Tomahawk

G.Skill DDR4 Trident Z RGB 2x8GB 3000

be quiet! Pure Rock

Set 2:

Intel Core i5 7600k

MSI B150 GAMING M3

be quiet! Pure Rock

i have a RX 480 8gb and i game at 21:9 Ultrawide 1080p resolution

any other suggestions would be appreciated

EDIT: Iam willing to spend a bit extra for a Ryzen 7

Red ​White ​Blue

3 minutes ago, Seabosz said:

Set 1:

AMD Ryzen 5 1600x

MSI B350 Tomahawk

be quiet! Pure Rock

RRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYZZZZEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNN

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

I would actually drop to a 1600 and spend the extra on the RAM to get 3200Mhz CAS 14

You should get the Ryzen 5 1600 and OC it. It's just a better buy, it will last longer and allow you to do more than just game.

FYI: You don't need the Pure Rock, it's not much better in terms of cooling performance than what comes with the 1600, it will only be quieter so I'd just wait with the stock one and gather more money for a better cooler.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

4 minutes ago, Seabosz said:

I need some advice on what i should get i want to upgrade from my FX 6300 

iam currently looking at 2 sets of CPU/MOBO/RAM/COOLER

Set 1:

AMD Ryzen 5 1600x

MSI B350 Tomahawk

be quiet! Pure Rock

Set 2:

Intel Core i5 7600k

MSI B150 GAMING M3

be quiet! Pure Rock

i have a RX 480 8gb and i game at 21:9 Ultrawide 1080p resolution

any other suggestions would be appreciated

Assuming that you do not care you spend on aftermarket cooler and you are ready the ryzen build wins the price per performance

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

Just now, Darel321 said:

hmmm a realy tough decision, because the 2 /4 extra cores/threads are invisible right?

I don't understand what you mean.

i5 7600k

4c/4t

6c/12t

Just now, Damascus said:

I don't understand what you mean.

i5 7600k

4c/4t

6c/12t

ye ye... you're right....

1 minute ago, Darel321 said:

hmmm a realy tough decision, because the 2 /4 extra cores/threads are invisible right?

No it is noticeable that in gaming witcher 3 i5 core usage is 80% while ryzen 5 1600X is 50% isn't that right @RadiatingLight?

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

@Seabosz

I changed my CPU from a 6700k to a 1700 and I loooove the thing.  totally worth it IMO 

Just now, Ordinarily_Greater said:

No it is noticeable that in gaming witcher 3 i5 core usage is 80% while ryzen 5 1600X is 50% isn't that right @RadiatingLight?

xD I went from up to 80% usage playing games to around 35% 6700K to R7

1 hour ago, Darel321 said:

but does that improve perfomance in gaming all that much or is it more for 'future proofing'?

Red ​White ​Blue

Just now, Ordinarily_Greater said:

soo.. you're saying they are gonna be making new games and not use the new dx12 or vulkan that use more cores and more efficiently

1 minute ago, Darel321 said:

soo.. you're saying they are gonna be making new games and not use the new dx12 or vulkan that use more cores and more efficiently

No, he is saying the exact opposite.

2 minutes ago, Darel321 said:

It means relaxed system, and that is helpful for multitasking

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

5 minutes ago, Damascus said:

xD I went from up to 80% usage playing games to around 35% 6700K to R7

Wow that is so heroic! Haha!

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

okay so ryzen it is then but is it worth it that i go for a ryzen 7 or should i stick with ryzen 5?

Red ​White ​Blue

5 minutes ago, Darel321 said:

The creators of Destiny 2 have claimed that the game will use all the cores in your system 

Just now, Seabosz said:

Depends on what you do / want to do.  

Just now, Seabosz said:

Ryzen 7 is if you really work multitasking way, Ryzen 5 is at least can do things better than i5

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

1 minute ago, Seabosz said:

For pure Gaming a r5 is enough, but multitasking the r7 is better, personally I would buy a r7 1700 right now, if I would change my Xeon.

Spoiler

Main PC: CPU Xeon E3-1231 V3 - MB Asrock B85M Pro3 - RAM 16GB Kingston - GPU GTX 1070 Gainward Phoenix - PSU Corsair AX760i - Monitor  LG 22EA63 - Keyboard Corsair Strafe - Mouse Logitech G402 - Storage 2x3TB WD Green - 240GB OCZ SSD

1 hour ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

Ryzen 7 is if you really work multitasking way, Ryzen 5 is at least can do things better than i5

1 hour ago, RuLeZ said:

For pure Gaming a r5 is enough, but multitasking the r7 is better, personally I would buy a r7 1700 right now, if I would change my Xeon.

yeah i do more than only gaming so is the extra cost worth it?

i like to make stupid videos and fool around with programs

and i usualy have more than 5 chrome tabs open

Red ​White ​Blue

4 minutes ago, RuLeZ said:

For pure Gaming a r5 is enough,

Until you realize it bottlenecks a GTX 1070~980ti on AC Unity and other CPU truly bonded games* Sorry thought you meant the i5... still think if op can adjust for the ryzen 7 1700 it is worth it.

Like stated so far just get the r7 1700 with the stock cooler and at least a 3000mhz ram and you're set.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

I would suggest if you fancy some multitasking and a little power for the future, go the R7, alternatively you could save the money and grab the 1600 and get some other cool stuff :)