When will the Ethereum mining craze end?

1 hour ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Not to say a new GPU is a bad idea but isn't your current card plenty good enough for what games (assuming you play anything besides Overwatch) you play?

I'd like a GPU that's less power hungry and a little bit more powerful so I can use NVENC to record rather than Quick Sync which can be buggy. If there's a GPU that's about as powerful as a 1060 next gen but doesn't run off anything but PCIe power then I'm pretty set on buying one of those, and I'm sure that will likely be the case.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

9 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

I'd like a GPU that's less power hungry and a little bit more powerful so I can use NVENC to record rather than Quick Sync which can be buggy. If there's a GPU that's about as powerful as a 1060 next gen but doesn't run off anything but PCIe power then I'm pretty set on buying one of those, and I'm sure that will likely be the case.

You think we'll get something as nice as a 1060 that won't need supplemental power?    

That would be pretty cool.

It'll probably die out when people get their hydro bill for the next few months. I know some people over here have chosen not to do it, especially because the further you live away from the city, the more it's going to cost you.

Our hydro services in Ontario are so bad that even if you don't use hydro for the month and your usage is at zero, you'll still be charged a delivery fee.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

Lol, someone bought 10 1060s at my local canada computers and 100s are going for 650+ but I could care less as I've already got one lined up for a reasonable price ;)

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

On new egg at least the 1050 ti's,1080 and 1080 ti's are still reasonably priced (for the most part) :P

5 hours ago, Jorgen297 said:

I'm not saying get a card solely for mining. I'm saying if you're in the market for a new gaming GPU, get it right now and mine on it, and after some months it will have made back its cost, so instead of having paid extra money because of the mining craze, you came out of it with free or severely price reduced hardware. Will the market get flooded with cheap GPUs when (if) the currencies tank? Yes. And that might be just as a nice time to get one. But you can't tell which GPU ran 24/7 at 80°C, and which one ran 7-11 at 60°C. The former may reduce the lifespan of a GPU, but the latter is like a gaming load. Now, is it bad for the environment? Well, electricity is based on supply and demand, meaning your demand will increase the price, which means the demand of someone else will decrease, so no, it's not that bad imo. Heat is the only argument I'd consider to hold water, do you literally have 37°C days in Portland lol? In that case it will get way too hot. Fine. Wait until the (eventual) crash, and pick up a GPU then I guess. 

It's just that I can't get one right now unless I want a GTX 1080, pretty much. But to make it back takes quite awhile and I could work half an hour at minimum wage over the same period of time and make more money in the end and have paid myself back for the card. I just don't see a need to mine.

Yes, it hit exactly 37C yesterday here and it appears we aren't going to see rain in our future for quite some time. Unfortunately, due to the climate of the earth changing, it regularly gets this hot here from May to late September.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2017 at 2:58 PM, FloRolf said:

It'll probably end on the day i decide to join the craze. So just tell me when and i'll end it ;)

Now would be nice :D