POLL TIME! X299 vs Ryzen - Time to Switch?

X299 vs Ryzen - Time to switch?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. With this newest debacle what are you planning on doing?

• Intel is great but its Ryzen time.
    • I will invest in the X299.
    • Waiting to give Coffeelake a chance.
    • Other - Explain in comments.

2 minutes ago, LordTaco42 said:

The biggest piece of advice though is don't get a 2000 dollar CPU if you really don't need it.

To be honest, I am probably never in my life going to anyways. xD

Specs: Intel Core i7 2600k | Gigabyte Z68-UD3H-B3 | EVGA 1080 FTW2 Gaming | Kingston HyperX Red 16GB | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Corsair CX600 | 
Lian Li Lancool-II white

Laptop: ASUS ROG Zephyrus M15 (Intel i7, 16GB, RTX 2070) | 2013 MacBook Pro 15 (Intel i7, 16GB, GT750M)

10 minutes ago, sebastiansulb said:

I am really interested how the 7800X and 7820X will perform. I want to see what is Intel's response to Ryzen. If Intel just marginally beats out Ryzen, I am still most likely going Ryzen.

I couldn't agree more! This is exactly what I am going to do :D

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

11 minutes ago, LordTaco42 said:

The biggest piece of advice though is don't get a 2000 dollar CPU if you really don't want it. 

FIFY ;) I am pretty sure that the majority of people who will buy this just want the best performance but don't really need it :P

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I couldn't agree more! This is exactly what I am going to do :D

What a great year for the CPU industry.

I want to upgrade some time this year and it is awesome going to have so many options to consider then the past few years it being do I want a i5 or i7 or go big with x99

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Just now, The Benjamins said:

What a great year for the CPU industry.

I want to upgrade some time this year and it is awesome going to have so many options to consider then the past few years it being do I want a i5 or i7 or go big with x99

Yep, it also made Intel release CPUs with an actual IPC improvement (Skylake-X), which is very nice :D AFAIK, Skylake-X's IPC is 3-10% better than Skylake normal :P

1 hour ago, Thinkfreely said:

Thats great, I am curious to the reasons for your pick. Does it have a certain feature set you need or want?

Skylake-X will be higher performing than Ryzen 8-core. Overclocking on SL-X will be much higher and (to me) the extra cost is worth it. Ryzen is a great choice for most people, but for those with disposable income and demand the best makes Intel an easy choice.

I'm moving from a 6700K to a 7820X because although I mostly game, I'm starting to get more and more into fine tuning (overclocking) for 3DMark, Unigine, etc. I'll be doing more video editing/ encoding & streaming. Another problem is, even at 1440p, my 6700K can get pinned at 70-90% usage in some games like Wildlands. It's quite CPU intensive, so having 8c/16t will help alleviate that problem as I've seen Ryzen do.

The 7820X is the perfect CPU I've been looking for at a solid price. The 28 lanes doesn't affect me since I'll never ever use multi GPU anyway. And Threadripper is too overkill for my needs.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

20 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

FIFY ;) I am pretty sure that the majority of people who will buy this just want the best performance but don't really need it :P

True but even with disposable income I don't know if I could stomach spending that much on a CPU alone.  It would feel dirty...but oh so good at the same time ;).  But then again there are those of us that would have to explain to wives/significant others what they spent 2000 USD on. 

Just now, LordTaco42 said:

True but even with disposable income I don't know if I could stomach spending that much on a CPU alone.

Most people wouldn't, but those CPUs aren't for the average person :P

1 hour ago, NumLock21 said:

CoffeeLake is mainstream, just like KabyLake running on socket 1151. Being new, it must improve in performance as well as features to be consider as a upgrade, loosing anything compare to your current system then it's a downgrade or sidegrade because you gain something new, while at the same time, lost something you once have.

Intel X99 already has the following

• Support up to 18 or 22 cores
  • Quad channel DDR4
  • 28 to 40 PCIe 3.0 lanes
  • NVMe Support

Now for coffeelake to be a upgrade it must have better features than X99 and it won't be because

• max cpu is rumor too be 6 cores
  • Dual channel DDR4
  • 16 PCIe 3.0 lanes
  • NVMe Support
  • Optane Support

Right so your holding on to what you have for the chipset support as even with the potential for a consumer grade 6 core processor, even if ICP is higher, it wouldn't justify to you the loss of the PCIe lanes.

I would rather agree on what we share, than fight on what we don't. - Myself

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

1 hour ago, VagabondWraith said:

Skylake-X will be higher performing than Ryzen 8-core

Sure I think its reasonable to expect that since Ryzen currently sits at endgen Broadwell E performance for ICP we know that Intel in ICP still wins, although its by a small margin. However if I was going to build I wouldn't do it on the X299, I would wait for coffelake as Skylake X is just a overclocked Skylake, same cpu for more expensive everything else.

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

Intel got lazy having no competition, now finally that they have competition they rush to make a platform to compete with Ryzen. Most likely they will be similar spec to Ryzen and cost a lot more because of Intel Tax.

1 minute ago, Thinkfreely said:

I would wait for coffelake as Skylake X is just a overclocked Skylake,

With a 4x larger L2 cache, way better AVX performance, higher clocks and a 3-10% IPC improvement :P

4 minutes ago, Thinkfreely said:

Right so your holding on to what you have for the chipset support as even with the potential for a consumer grade 6 core processor, even if ICP is higher, it wouldn't justify to you the loss of the PCIe lanes.

Even if the IPC is higher, there probably isn't a significant improvement from what I already have. Maybe a few minutes or so faster in programs and games, but it does not justify me to waste money on it, just because it's new.

Upgrade when one your motherboard is actually broken, where trying to find a replacement isn't worth it or when your system is at least 5 to 7+ years old.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Im interested in thread ripper, but the single core / game performance is lower than my current 4790k.

Intel X299 seems like a decent option hardware wise, but the price is too high and the platform is messy.

I'll just sit it out for another year and see how Ryzen 2 will perform (the AMD roadmap promised 15% improvement).

That also has the added bonus of buying a more mature platform (by that time).

Desktop: Intel i9-10850K (R9 3900X died 😢 )| MSI Z490 Tomahawk | RTX 2080 (borrowed from work) - MSI GTX 1080 | 64GB 3600MHz CL16 memory | Corsair H100i (NF-F12 fans) | Samsung 970 EVO 512GB | Intel 665p 2TB | Samsung 830 256GB| 3TB HDD | Corsair 450D | Corsair RM550x | MG279Q

Laptop: Surface Pro 7 (i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD)

Console: PlayStation 4 Pro

Just now, mathijs727 said:

Intel X299 seems like a decent option hardware wise, but the price is too high and the platform is messy.

Depends, the 7800X and the 7820X are reasonably priced (for enthusiast grade CPUs anyways) ;)

Just now, NumLock21 said:

ven if the IPC is higher, there probably isn't a significant improvement from what I already have. Maybe a few minutes or so faster in programs and games, but it does not justify me to waste money on it, just because it's new.

11 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

With a 4x larger L2 cache, way better AVX performance, higher clocks and a 3-10% IPC improvement

Tell this to 

5 minutes ago, Thinkfreely said:

Tell this to 

23 minutes ago, Thinkfreely said:

I would wait for coffelake as Skylake X is just a overclocked Skylake

Context matters :P I didn't say that the improvement is significant, I just said that there is an improvement ;)

3 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Context matters :P I didn't say that the improvement is significant, I just said that there is an improvement ;)

Context doesn't matter! This is Red Vs Blue! Rabble Rabble Rabble ;)

25 minutes ago, Thinkfreely said:

Sure I think its reasonable to expect that since Ryzen currently sits at endgen Broadwell E performance for ICP we know that Intel in ICP still wins, although its by a small margin. However if I was going to build I wouldn't do it on the X299, I would wait for coffelake as Skylake X is just a overclocked Skylake, same cpu for more expensive everything else.

You could always wait around forever. If you need something now (like me), then you buy now. I won't pin my hopes and dreams on what "might be" in the future.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

3 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

You could always wait around forever. If you need something now (like me), then you buy now. I won't pin my hopes and dreams on what "might be" in the future.

Extremely true, I was just giving my two cents, but yeah so many people spend so much time waiting for the "Best' but then they always just wait. I always tell people who come to me for advice on this since I have built 8 personal rigs and 30+ for friends and family "Just buy the best you can get for the money you have at the time you need it".

other:

watercool and overclock my I7 4790K to 5GHz

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

other:

You would need to delid it and use 1.4-1.45V :P

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

other:

Its amazing how ell that CPU has held up. My buddy was going to sell it for Kabylake, and I was like "No point"

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

You would need to delid it and use 1.4-1.45V :P

does 4.8 pm 1.275V, and i do plan to delid.

Just now, Thinkfreely said:

Its amazing how ell that CPU has held up. My buddy was going to sell it for Kabylake, and I was like "No point"

still a strong chip, so sad that my shitty 970 is holding it back

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

still a strong chip, so sad that my shitty 970 is holding it back

You can get $150-$200 for that, Save a few hundo and get a 1070. Or wait for Vega.