POLL TIME! X299 vs Ryzen - Time to Switch?

X299 vs Ryzen - Time to switch?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. With this newest debacle what are you planning on doing?

• Intel is great but its Ryzen time.
    • I will invest in the X299.
    • Waiting to give Coffeelake a chance.
    • Other - Explain in comments.

1 hour ago, VagabondWraith said:

Insane Clown Posse?

I had no idea those "clowns" were still making music.  Too funny and thanks for the flashback bud.  xD

10 hours ago, Thinkfreely said:

I honestly think everyone should wait for Coffeelake (Unless you need a PC like right this second)

I kinda agree but disagree with you XD, What Im trying to say is waitting is smart so you can get the best performance/dollar possible. The problem is that if you keep waitting and waiting you ll never buy a new CPU or PC whatever. And if someone is to wait my best bet is CannonLake as coffelake is a refresh of KabyLake really... At the time being ryzen (I5s) offers the best experience in general. But when I said that I was talking about the new platform, the X299, because as I said money isnt the issue its how it was Conceived, they didnt straight up said welll have X or Y or Z, they waited for what AMD would release soo when they did they werent caught out.

But good observation, cheers!

2 minutes ago, typographie said:

My plan at the moment is to keep happily using my i5-6600K for the foreseeable future, and continue to laugh when I see people post about how bad it suddenly is for gaming.

I am pretty sure that no one said that it is bad for gaming, most people simply say that it's not the best option

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

3 minutes ago, typographie said:

My plan at the moment is to keep happily using my i5-6600K for the foreseeable future, and continue to laugh when I see people post about how bad it suddenly is for gaming.

That would only show lack of understanding.  While it may not be the top option, it's far from "bad".  

I will join the people going to X299. I will upgrade from my 6700k to the 7820x. Since I mainly game but get more and more into editing videos and photos, I think this will be my best bet with 8c/16t. Especially since I will never use Multi GPU´s  again, and will maybe use just one NvMe drive 28 lanes is enough for me.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X PBO GPU: Asus Strix RTX 3090 OC Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3600Mhz CL17

CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i Capillex Storage: Samsung 980 Pro and 970 Evo 1TB Samsung 860 EVO 1TB Crucial MX300 525GB WD Black 2TB PSU: Corsair HX1000 Case: Corsair 500D SE RGB 6x LL120

47 minutes ago, typographie said:

rofl

I would rather agree on what we share, than fight on what we don't. - Myself

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

15 hours ago, Thinkfreely said:

B| yes lets hope. And a refresh on ICP would be nice for 15% performance boost.

IPC doesn't bother me really. There's such a minute difference between Broadwell (and Ryzen) and Skylake/Kaby Lake. It really is the 1GHz max overclock speed difference that is the nail in the coffin for Ryzen in terms of single thread performance.

If Ryzen could pull a Bulldozer and overclock to 5GHz you would barely even notice the IPC difference.

On 6/16/2017 at 1:16 PM, othertomperson said:

IPC doesn't bother me really. There's such a minute difference between Broadwell (and Ryzen) and Skylake/Kaby Lake. It really is the 1GHz max overclock speed difference that is the nail in the coffin for Ryzen in terms of single thread performance.

If Ryzen could pull a Bulldozer and overclock to 5GHz you would barely even notice the IPC difference.

Totally true, we will have to see what ZEN 2 brings. Ryzen was also appealling because the AM4 platform is supposed to stay the same for the next 4 years, meaning no mobo updated needed for Zen 1-4

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

I agree, its time for Ryzen to shine. However I voted other. I already have 6C/12T at Sandy Bridge IPC and 4.3Ghz. I don't need to upgrade anytime soon. If i build a backup PC it will be Ryzen.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

3930k still going strong. 

I will prob be upgrading to x299. It will be nice to get new features and more cores. 

Just now, Thinkfreely said:

Going to get it in August then?

Whenever the 18 core come out.

3 minutes ago, rockon5622 said:

Damn.  Nice jump man.  From 3930K to a 7980XE.  You might notice it.  :D

Just now, done12many2 said:

Damn.  Nice jump man.  From 3930K to a 7980XE.  You might notice it.  :D

Yeah it should cut compiles down by 75%. Im stoked.

Just now, done12many2 said:

Are you planning on doing more then gaming? Way over kill for that, or Threadripper is probably going to be like less than 1/2 the cost.

Are you planning on doing more then gaming? Way over kill for that, or Threadripper is probably going to be like less than 1/2 the cost.

You quoted the wrong dude somehow.  

I am doing more than gaming.