POLL TIME! X299 vs Ryzen - Time to Switch?

X299 vs Ryzen - Time to switch?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. With this newest debacle what are you planning on doing?

• Intel is great but its Ryzen time.
    • I will invest in the X299.
    • Waiting to give Coffeelake a chance.
    • Other - Explain in comments.

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

does 4.8 pm 1.275V, and i do plan to delid.

Remember tho, the fact that you can run a fairly high frequency at a low voltage doesn't necessarily mean that you will be able to hit a higher frequency without needing a ton of voltage ;).

What batch number is it? I am pretty sure that this chip is very new, since the latest Haswell and Haswell-E batches overclock like motherfuckers :P

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, Thinkfreely said:

You can get $150-$200 for that, Save a few hundo and get a 1070. Or wait for Vega.

going for a 1080 or better, with a waterblock. also 970s are about $120 here so selling it wont help much, il be using it for mining probably

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

going for a 1080 or better, with a waterblock. also 970s are about $120 here so selling it wont help much, il be using it for mining probably

Just get a 1080, they are dirt cheap for the performance they offer! :D

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Remember tho, the fact that you can run a fairly high frequency at a low voltage doesn't necessarily mean that you will be able to hit a higher frequency without needing a ton of voltage ;).

What batch number is it? I am pretty sure that this chip is very new, since the latest Haswell and Haswell-E batches overclock like motherfuckers :P

no clue, can i see that on the box or something?

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Just get a 1080, they are dirt cheap for the performance they offer! :D

im waiting for Vega, seeing as that will barely be a wait by the time i have the money to buy stuff lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Let's cut through the bullshit.  If you want the fastest and are willing to pay for it, you are going to buy Skylake X.  If you want something almost as fast and want to save money, you are going to buy Ryzen.

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

no clue, can i see that on the box or something?

Yeah, it's on the white label, it says "Batch". Only the first 4 characters are important ;)

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

im waiting for Vega, seeing as that will barely be a wait by the time i have the money to buy stuff lol

You never know xD

Yeah, it's on the white label, it says "Batch". Only the first 4 characters are important ;)

You never know xD

X518C598 would be the full row, no clue what that tells you but its a Vietnam chip just like my I5 4690K was, spits out a load of heat but clocks like a monster :D 

Builds:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

X518C598 would be the full row, no clue what that tells you but its a Vietnam chip just like my I5 4690K was, spits out a load of heat but clocks like a monster :D 

Yep, Vietnam Haswell(non E) is the best. Your chip quite new as well, made in April of 2015 ;)

(You can read that info off of your batch number :P)

Yep, Vietnam Haswell(non E) is the best. Your chip quite new as well, made in April of 2015 ;)

the I5 i had was a 2014 chip so i guess that explains why this one is so much better :P i was so surprised when it just booted the clock i had on my I5 from the get go lol

Builds:

Spoiler

the I5 i had was a 2014 chip so i guess that explains why this one is so much better :P i was so surprised when it just booted the clock i had on my I5 from the get go lol

Yeah, the X batch Haswells are the best overclockers you can get!

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

Yeah, the X batch Haswells are the best overclockers you can get!

sweet, good to know, I5 was an X chip too :D sad that its been running on 1.7V(for about 2min before i noticed and pani pulled the plug) in its new motherboard for some reason :/ think the PSU was to blame for that one seeing as i dont seem to be able to controll the voltage from the BIOS

Builds:

Spoiler

sweet, good to know, I5 was an X chip too :D sad that its been running on 1.7V(for about 2min before i noticed and pani pulled the plug) in its new motherboard for some reason :/ think the PSU was to blame for that one seeing as i dont seem to be able to controll the voltage from the BIOS

If it works, it's fine :P

If it works, it's fine :P

dont feel like degradeing my beutifull baby though :$

Builds:

Spoiler

dont feel like degradeing my beutifull baby though :$

BTW, it could be a bad motherboard reading too ;) Were the temps too high or were they normal?

I'm going 7820x.  It is going to be faster than anything Ryzen is offering right now in single core or multicore performance.  I'm willing to pay the price for that.  If I was at a more budget oriented point in my life, I would be going Ryzen.

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

BTW, it could be a bad motherboard reading too ;) Were the temps too high or were they normal?

didnt look at the temps, just took a picture of the voltage monitor for the Toaster Project, saw that it was as i thought previously, running 1.7V and just pulled the plug. il see if it says temp but the fan on the C7 cooler on it was running quiet so i doubt it got THAT hot

Builds:

Spoiler

didnt look at the temps, just took a picture of the voltage monitor for the Toaster Project, saw that it was as i thought previously, running 1.7V and just pulled the plug. il see if it says temp but the fan on the C7 cooler on it was running quiet so i doubt it got THAT hot

It probably was a bad reading, you have an AsRock motherboard, right? I have an AsRock motherboard too and for some reason, some monitoring programs report that the Vcore is at 1.7V, but if I use AsRock's A Tuning, it's at 0.9V or something like that. So some programs just can't read Vcore correctly when using AsRock boards ;)

It probably was a bad reading, you have an AsRock motherboard, right? I have an AsRock motherboard too and for some reason, some monitoring programs report that the Vcore is at 1.7V, but if I use AsRock's A Tuning, it's at 0.9V or something like that. So some programs just can't read Vcore correctly when using AsRock boards ;)

it was an in BIOS reading, havent gone any further then that seeing as i need a proper PSU and a GPU first, thats kinda why i was worried because the BIOS dosent tend to be that far off what it actiually is running, CPU was at 33C btw(says 33 ?C tho) and 1.752V... all the voltages in seem fine on the picture though but i have had this PSU put out 14.5V on the 12V rail lol

Builds:

Spoiler

it was an in BIOS reading

Are you sure that it was not a VIN or a VCCIN voltage? Because if the Vcore was at 1.7V, I am pretty sure that it would have shut down. Is it working fine now?

Are you sure that it was not a VIN or a VCCIN voltage? Because if the Vcore was at 1.7V, I am pretty sure that it would have shut down. Is it working fine now?

havent booted it since, anyway no. it was the VCORE that was reading 1.75V, the VCCIN was at 1.52V, which seems strange tbh

Builds:

Spoiler

21 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

(You can read that info off of your batch number :P)

I wonder if they made any in 2016 and if anyone was lucky enough to get those?  :D

havent booted it since, anyway no. it was the VCORE that was reading 1.75V, the VCCIN was at 1.52V, which seems strange tbh

Yeah, clearing CMOS may have fix it...

That 1.75v is CPU input or VCCIN, not VCore.

3 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

I wonder if they made any in 2016 and if anyone was lucky enough to get those?  :D

Yeah, they did make quite a few in 2016, yours is truly amazing. Mine is a November 2015 CPU, so it should be similar.

(If I say it enough times it becomes true, right?)

(If I say it enough times it becomes true, right?)

Yes.  Single-threaded performance doesn't matter.  Single-threaded performance doesn't matter.  Single-threaded performance doesn't matter.  Single-threaded performance doesn't matter.  

Say things like that enough and they become true eventually, right?  :D