Am I Bottlenecking?

So my PC runs a MSI Gaming X Geforce GTX 1070 video card and my processor at this current point in time is a Intel Core I5 4690k.  I have a BenQ GL2250 1080p 60hz monitor however I am looking to maybe upgrade to a Acer Predator XB241HBmipr 24 inch 1080p 144hz monitor.  My gaming of choice is mostly all around with my latest fad being Batman Arkham Knight (the game has improved a lot since it first came out on PC).

Is my processor of choice bottlenecking my PC especially if I chose to purchase a 144hz monitor?

No, your Monitor refresh rate has nothing to do with your PC Perfomance, the only diffrence that you can see is smoother gameplay if you push above 60+ FPS

Challenger Tier at League of Legends since Season 5.

Just now, tiggar47 said:

No, your Monitor refresh rate has nothing to do with your PC Perfomance, the only diffrence that you can see is smoother gameplay if you push above 60+ FPS

3 minutes ago, BonkersTA said:

Is my processor of choice bottlenecking my PC

5 minutes ago, BonkersTA said:

Is my processor of choice bottlenecking my PC especially if I chose to purchase a 144hz monitor?

I would preferably go for AMD Ryzen CPU Upgrade rather than the Monitor upgrade.

your CPU is bottlenecking your GPU, overclocking would help aliviate the bottleneck but most likely wont get rid of it compleatly

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, tiggar47 said:

I would preferably go for AMD Ryzen CPU Upgrade rather than the Monitor upgrade.

no he should get an I7 4790K not anything from the Ryzen lineup

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Why so?

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Why go for 4th gen old architecture if you can go for high end hardware for an extra buck.

Just now, BonkersTA said:

Why so?

its a drop in upgrade for you, its just the cost of the CPU rather then the cost of the CPU, RAM, Mothervoard and if you want, cooler

Builds:

Spoiler

Just now, BonkersTA said:

Why so?

He's Intel fanboy.

I'd upgrade the monitor to 144Hz and then get a 4790K whenever you're able. There's nothing that stops you from getting the most out of a 144Hz panel as it depends on each program and a 144Hz will be a wholly different experience from a single 60Hz.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Just now, tiggar47 said:

Why go for 4th gen old architecture if you can go for high end hardware for an extra buck.

becuase its still a verry good preforming CPU that is still competative and it will cost way less then upgradeing to anything Ryzen that will ofer a preformance advantage

Builds:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, BonkersTA said:

Why so?

Spend $300 for a CPU vs everything else.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

2 minutes ago, tiggar47 said:

That's quite a bit of extra when you consider you'd also have to get DDR4 RAM as well.

One of the reasons why I still stay with my 2700K...too cheap for buy DDR4 for a 7700K yet.

My 2700K overclocked plays fine with my 1070 / 980 Ti.

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

its a drop in upgrade for you, its just the cost of the CPU rather then the cost of the CPU, RAM, Mothervoard and if you want, cooler

Why not get Ryzen 5 CPU with motherboard and DDR4 ram which is better.

Just now, tiggar47 said:

He's Intel fanboy.

No, he's trying to save him money.

$300 processor vs $600 in new board RAM and CPU

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Just now, tiggar47 said:

He's Intel fanboy.

what... no man. i just recomend the best options, you are more of a AMD fanboy then i am an Intel one tbh

Just now, tiggar47 said:

because its more expensive and not an upgrade? the R5 1600 preforms about on par with his current I5. go look at some benchmarks or a pricetag or whatever

Builds:

Spoiler

Just now, TVwazhere said:

No, he's trying to save him money.

$300 processor vs $600 in new board RAM and CPU

If you plan to get an "Upgrade" go for Higher end hardware for some couple extra bucks, it's more worth it.

Just now, tiggar47 said:

The answer isnt always Ryzen. If he's not looking to upgrade his platform, he doesnt have to. The 4790K is both an easy upgrade and still relevant in todays market.

At no point did I read into "I want to broaden my horizons and stream/ do workstation computing"

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

4 hours ago, tiggar47 said:

If you plan to get an "Upgrade" go for Higher end hardware for some couple extra bucks, it's more worth it.

A 4690K has been seen to perform on par with most of the R5 lineup. Getting an i7-4790K would give him worlds more performance than a R5 would ever give due to higher clocks and IPC (games will be single-threaded) vs the low clocks and IPC of Ryzen. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, tiggar47 said:

but Ryzen 5 is lower end hardware then the I7 4790k, costs more to "upgrade" to then the I7 4790K and will give him LESS PREFORMANCE so its a DOWNGRADE. why should he spend $500 or whatever for LESS preformance instead of $250 or so for more?

Builds:

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, tiggar47 said:

He's Intel fanboy.

>Doesn't say that Ryzen is the best

>Means that he is an Intel Fanboy

STFU

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

10 minutes ago, tiggar47 said:

You know, because Ryzen can definitely get 144FPS in all games..... 

A 4790K is a much better choice, I 100% agree with @Bananasplit_00

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, tiggar47 said:

Keep in mind if I am to do this I would have to replace both my motherboard and RAM as well though.