new nvidia drivers gather information about you and report it back to NVIDIA. silently enabled without notifying the user.

looks like this is very old news? http://www.majorgeeks.com/news/story/nvidia_adds_telemetry_to_latest_drivers_heres_how_to_disable_it.html

Update: I have installed the latest drivers selecting Drivers Only and telemetry is indeed there. So, contrary to some opinions, the fact is that telemetry is installed regardless of whether you use Geforce Experience or not.

It's been brought to our attention that nVIDIA now has telemetry included with its drivers. It also continues the bloat with nVIDIA Wireless Controller and ShadowPlay services, something many don't need. 

We all know nvidia is collecting user data if you install geforce experiance.
well, now it's happening even if you don't install geforce experience, with the new driver it's enabled by default and it doesn't even notify the user of it.

snnz6gyg4x1z.png

this is not the same as the whole geforce experience telemetry, this is an add on to the normal nvidia control panel that collects telemetry.

there are ways to remove if you don't like it.

No answer from nvidia about what is collected, because this is just a "small thing" because no big websites have written anything about it yet.

these things would not be a problem if the user were notified and able to opt-out, before it was even installed on his/her computer.

SOURCE

REEEE! Nvidia get the fuck out of my computer!!!

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

So it collects metadata, like literally every other program on your computer, great.

Now if you're concerned about this, you have 3 options:

A) unplug your ethernet cable

B) unplug your PC's power cord

C) have a beer and get over it :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

this is not news, it was known for quite a few releases ago

can you link to a thread?

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

So it collects metadata, like literally every other program on your computer, great.

Now if you're concerned about this, you have 3 options:

A) unplug your ethernet cable

B) unplug your PC's power cord

C) have a beer and get over it :)

Can I have whiskey instead? I don't like beer.

Just now, DrMikeNZ said:

Can I have whiskey instead? I don't like beer.

As long as it has alcohol it will help, fastest way to remove the tears and stress of having your metadata taken from you :'(

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Unless there is a news topic on this forum covering this already this is an acceptable news topic.

8 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Unless there is a news topic on this forum covering this already this an acceptable news topic.

when saying this is news it means that it's information about recent events - and this is not recent; unless the OP gets his news dump only from /r/PCMR xD

unless my english fails me

@TOMPPIX

Do you have another source for this other than a reddit post? News posts need to have a reputable source and quotes from that source while also including your own opinion.

Does this have something to do with those telemetry services which you can disable with Autoruns?

NvTmMon
NvTmRep
NvTmRepOnLogon
NvTelemetryContainer

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

@TOMPPIX

Do you have another source for this other than a reddit post? News posts need to have a reputable source and quotes from that source while also including your own opinion.

i'll see what i can find.

Just now, zMeul said:

when saying this is news it means that it's information about recent events - and this is not recent; ules the OP gets his news dump only from /r/PCMR xD

unless my english fails me

Personally being aware of an event does not make everyone else aware of it, older events have been posted so this is no exception. If it's not already been reported on here then it's the first news item about it so current, age of the source does not invalidate this.

Just now, huilun02 said:

Was posted before I believe. I doubt Nvidia does anything shady with our data, but would be nice if they made it apparent. Also the need to log in is horse shit. 

Currently looking through news history already.

@TOMPPIX

Going to move this to the graphics card section while you find a better source and I check it's not a repost.

Why do you care about this data being shared? It's probably data like: Crash logs, when you update, which buttons on the program you click the most, temperatures, etc.

PC: Case: Cooler Master CM690 II - PSU: Cooler Master G650M - RAM: Transcend 4x 8Gb DDR3 1333Mhz - MoBo: Gigabyte Z87x-D3H - CPU: i5 4670K @ 4.5Ghz - GPU: MSI GTX1060 ARMOR OC - Hard disks: 4x 500Gb Seagate enterprise in RAID 0 - SSD: Crucial M4 128Gb

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S6

2 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Because most companies on the net log more than just that to try and sell you crap?

Except that this program only logs the things that I just said. Somebody already checked it.

PC: Case: Cooler Master CM690 II - PSU: Cooler Master G650M - RAM: Transcend 4x 8Gb DDR3 1333Mhz - MoBo: Gigabyte Z87x-D3H - CPU: i5 4670K @ 4.5Ghz - GPU: MSI GTX1060 ARMOR OC - Hard disks: 4x 500Gb Seagate enterprise in RAID 0 - SSD: Crucial M4 128Gb

6 minutes ago, Nicholatian said:

Y'know, as someone who barely even lurks often let alone posts, all I ever see going on with @zMeul are other people giving him shit like this, grasping for straws to make him look like he's biased for or against AMD or something. It's kinda shitty and AFAICS is unwarranted...

As for the topic... this is one of the factors in my purchase of an RX 460. Having drivers that aren't malware is always a plus for me ?

Well, he is a self confessed AMD hater and has said before he doesn't mind posting negative news about AMD for that reason.  However the issue for many people is that he does it all legitimately with genuine news and issues.   It annoys people a lot more when they're number one AMD hater posts links to largely indisputable sources.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

why do you even care? They get Metadata? whats the problem here? Like you have some Metadata secrets xD

//Thanks

Avve1000
Setup in Profile!

7 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

And, how did they do that?

Probably look with something like wireshark to see when it sends data to the server.

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

Time wouldn't be the only thing I'd look at in that case.  I'd probably look more into the code of it, and see what data it was sending not just when.

Yeah the problem is that it might be encrypted. But if you crash the program on purpose and then everytime is crashes you see a message being send to nvidia it's safe to say that it will send a crash report to them.

2 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Might have sent other data too, just saying.  I don't really side with corporations at all because I know they don't care about us.

Yeah but they can't just log data without stating it somewhere. They have this Q&A on their website:

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3188/~/what-data-does-geforce-experience-send-to-nvidia%3F

It's not really a TOA but I'm pretty sure they can't lie about this on their website.

It does say that they will log the installed games and when you play so that might be personal.

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

If it makes them money they would, they're a corporation.

Yeah not every corporation breaks the laws mate.

Just now, LUUD18 said:

Yeah but they can't just log data without stating it somewhere. They have this Q&A on their website:

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3188/~/what-data-does-geforce-experience-send-to-nvidia%3F

It's not really a TOA but I'm pretty sure they can't lie about this on their website.

we still don't know what is collected with this new telemetry, because this is not GeForce Experience. that article is specifically meant for answering what is collected with GeForce Experience telemetry.

Just now, TOMPPIX said:

we still don't know what is collected with this new telemetry, because this is not GeForce Experience. that article is specifically meant for answering what is collected with GeForce Experience telemetry.

They most likely just moved it to the driver because not everyone install's geforce experience.